IGNORED

Pre-season 2022/23

MikeO

18 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

If Coleman didn't cost us goals and offer next to nothing going forward then I'd understand why we may look to loan him out, but he regularly costs us goals so I'd like to hope we'll see a lot of Patterson this season even if he makes mistakes.

I agree, we not going to make an omelette with out breaking a few eggs, so we have got to expect that mistakes will happen, same with Mykolenko, on the otherside. Signs are promising from the pair of them.

I am not sure I believe we are looking to loan him out, it's not like we are over run with RBs.

I have only seen the highlights of the game but we looked a bit better.

I liked the width we had to our attacking play and the numbers we got forward with. Patterson put in a couple of really good deliveries that led to goals but he was also always ready to break forward with the attack. I also thought it looked like there was a good spirit between the players as well. I do think some of the defending from Blackpool is questionable, in particular the Davies goal (who gets beaten in an offside trap by Rondon!?) but at least we made them pay when they did make mistakes. The movement for the third goal is as good as I have seen for a long time.

Another couple of sloppy errors cost us goals again though. I thought Mykolenko should have been tighter to his man (you can't give players 3 yards of space working into goal 20 yards out, but Pickford messed up a simple stop and cost us the goal. I also think we all drop a bit deep because I'm not sure our CB's should be on the 6 yard box in that situation. I think you are asking for trouble.

The second goal is our standard goal from a corner. Tarkowski just doesn't attack it, Rondon is probably caught a little under the ball too and it happens again. You can't have one man attacking and another holding back because it just creates big gaps like we saw with the goal.

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

My gut feeling is that mauling from Minnesota made Lampard demand the club pull their finger out in terms of signings.

I'm hoping it's more considered than that. I'm hoping that all 3 games helped reaffirm their plan and/or define priorities rather than panic buy after a thrashing.

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’m actually quite excited to be getting back to The Old Lady tonight !

I seriously considered coming up for this, but the M5/M6 on a sunny Friday evening is a hateful place to be; traffic every bit as bad as I thought it was going to be. Was supposed to be doing the two junction hop to Taunton earlier but had a look at the traffic from above and came straight home. Enjoy though, sure it'll be a good night.

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I seriously considered coming up for this, but the M5/M6 on a sunny Friday evening is a hateful place to be; traffic every bit as bad as I thought it was going to be. Was supposed to be doing the two junction hop to Taunton earlier but had a look at the traffic from above and came straight home. Enjoy though, sure it'll be a good night.

I spent 25 years in the Royal Navy, mostly based in Plymouth or Portsmouth so I know exactly what you mean!