IGNORED

Billy Gilmour

6 hours ago, Formby said:

As is the hatred of them...

When I was a kid I hated everything Scottish. No idea why, must have picked it up from my parents I guess. Then when I grew up I realised it was just fucking stupid to actually hate a country full of people just like me.
They also gave us golf, whisky, Duncan Ferguson, Archibald Leitch, Alex Young, Richard Gough, Graeme Sharp, Andy Gray and Nathan Patterson.

Are they really that bad?

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

There's no hatred. Suggesting that Scotland doesn't have an international team, though, is very arrogant. Let's not forget that England lost to - ahem - Iceland.

What would you call it, then? You have a tendency to call the English out at every turn - the press, the cricket team, the football team - it's a bit odd.

1 hour ago, Formby said:

What would you call it, then? You have a tendency to call the English out at every turn - the press, the cricket team, the football team - it's a bit odd.

A bias against?

Hatred is a term bandied about too much. I've had people suggest I hate them simply because I disagree with them on something. That's not hatred. Yes, I regret strongly the fact that the English made the language of my ancestors illegal, thereby forcing it out of existence. Yes, I strongly regret that the people of my homeland can barely afford to live there because the English have invaded en masse. But that doesn't mean I hate them. I wouldn't punch them on the nose or scream at them - but I would be happy if their team lost to the Faroe Islands. :)

34 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

A bias against?

Hatred is a term bandied about too much. I've had people suggest I hate them simply because I disagree with them on something. That's not hatred. Yes, I regret strongly the fact that the English made the language of my ancestors illegal, thereby forcing it out of existence. Yes, I strongly regret that the people of my homeland can barely afford to live there because the English have invaded en masse. But that doesn't mean I hate them. I wouldn't punch them on the nose or scream at them - but I would be happy if their team lost to the Faroe Islands. :)

Keeping it recent I see 🤣

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

A bias against?

You left your ‘homeland’ right? But you’re still English though? 🤔

8 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

A bias against?

Ah, apologies - let's go with a personal animus, then, against Henry VIII and the 1536 Act of Union, and concomitant migrational trends? Wales for the Welsh! Down with the Saesneg! 👍 

4 hours ago, patto said:

I didn't realise the Scots had this real dislike for the English until I worked with them for a few years but there is still some good lads amongst them 

Honestly, I don't believe the English understand the effects of their actions through the years. When you crush other cultures rather than respect them, especially those Celtic cultures right alongside you, don't be surprised when it leads to long-lasting resentment. (I don't expect a positive reception to these comments, but they're true nonetheless. Just listen carefully to the Scots, the Welsh, the Irish, etc. Thankfully, these days, we mostly confine our feelings to the sports field.)

40 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Honestly, I don't believe the English understand the effects of their actions through the years. When you crush other cultures rather than respect them, especially those Celtic cultures right alongside you, don't be surprised when it leads to long-lasting resentment. (I don't expect a positive reception to these comments, but they're true nonetheless. Just listen carefully to the Scots, the Welsh, the Irish, etc. Thankfully, these days, we mostly confine our feelings to the sports field.)

Your are literally talking about ancient history, and lets not forget, there was no single Celtic nation, it was a series of tribes who fought each other as much as the English. The Bruce invaded Ireland and inflicted great suffering on his fellow Celts in Ireland.

If you are referring to the British Empire, then yes I agree that the empire, has done great harm, as all empires have.

I don’t hate anyone, much less a nation. 
I was brought up to believe everyone should be treated with respect.

I was shocked when my French GF explained to me that from childhood they are brought up to hate “the English”.

Its easy to see why there is so much prejudice in this world. It’s so difficult to change cultures.

5 hours ago, patto said:

I didn't realise the Scots had this real dislike for the English until I worked with them for a few years but there is still some good lads amongst them 

I used to support all the home nations if/when they qualified for the Euros or World Cup but that soon changed once I joined the Armed Forces!

Now I take great pleasure watching them fail!

I was also engaged to a girl from Penzance many moons ago so know exactly where Cornish is coming from

51 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Your are literally talking about ancient history, and lets not forget, there was no single Celtic nation, it was a series of tribes who fought each other as much as the English. The Bruce invaded Ireland and inflicted great suffering on his fellow Celts in Ireland.

If you are referring to the British Empire, then yes I agree that the empire, has done great harm, as all empires have.

The British Empire did much good, too. I wonder whether India, especially with its civil service and travel infrastructure, would have been so stable without British influence - despite the many terrible things Britain also did. The subject of empire is an interesting one, and it's never a simple history. When traveling the globe, I met many wonderful Brits, who genuinely wanted to help all they met. In contrast, some of the most arrogant people I've ever met overseas were also Brits. 

Billy Gilmour, Conor Gallagher, Todd Cantwell, Kieran Dowell, Beni Baningami, who would you have in your team,?  They are all a similar type of player and I wouldn't take any of them at all.  It seems to me that Lampard is scratching about in a panic wanting to sign anybody. Some of the players we are getting linked with are no improvement and i would rather not sign anybody at all.

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

Billy Gilmour, Conor Gallagher, Todd Cantwell, Kieran Dowell, Beni Baningami, who would you have in your team,?  They are all a similar type of player and I wouldn't take any of them at all.  It seems to me that Lampard is scratching about in a panic wanting to sign anybody. Some of the players we are getting linked with are no improvement and i would rather not sign anybody at all.

emm, is that really Lamaprd scratching about in a panic, or simply pundits, journalists and agents trying to get people to look at their latest blog or posts?  Seems to me there are more and more rumors these days will less and less substance to them. I would take being 'linked' with players with a pinch of salt now more than ever. 

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Yes, I should feel responsible about how my ancestors treated and you should feel angry about how my ancestors treated yours. Seems healthy. 

For clarity, as you’re not including yourself in English, what nationality do you consider yourself Steve? 

Im English, all of my great grandparents were Irish. So I don’t know if I should be angry at myself for what my country did to my ancestors.