IGNORED

Billy Gilmour

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Neither height or build bothered Gana. You just need to be fearless and be able to read situations better. Smaller stature is a different kind of challenge to fend off. 

Evidence was there at Villa that Gana put himself about and broke up play.  Where is that for Gilmour?

Also hard to think we picked up Gana from a relegated Villa.  They are ahead of us now.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Neither height or build bothered Gana. You just need to be fearless and be able to read situations better. Smaller stature is a different kind of challenge to fend off. 

Ye height doesn’t mean much in todays game. Gana, Kanye, and I hate to admit, but Mane is one of the strongest players in the premier league.

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Ye height doesn’t mean much in todays game. Gana, Kanye, and I hate to admit, but Mane is one of the strongest players in the premier league.

Don't agree with that at all.

Everything else being equal, I would take a taller player over a smaller player every day of the week. There are always exceptions to every rule that can be sighted, but if I have limited funds and want to bring in a number six - a taller , well built physically (or at least average height and build) dominant players who can win the headers and can out muscle the opposition would be high on my list of attributes. To go for a below average build player means he would really need to have outstanding attributes in other departments to more than make up for that. Gilmour is not in that category for me.

27 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Everything else being equal, I would take a taller player over a smaller player every day of the week. There are always exceptions to every rule that can be sighted, but if I have limited funds and want to bring in a number six - a taller , well built physically (or at least average height and build) dominant players who can win the headers and can out muscle the opposition would be high on my list of attributes. To go for a below average build player means he would really need to have outstanding attributes in other departments to more than make up for that. Gilmour is not in that category for me.

There is a sweet spot there. If a player is too big, especially in the midfield, they tend not to be as quick or have the same energy as a smaller player.

44 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

That’s fine friend. 

I would just simply go for the better player. 
One I don’t want to build a midfield that concentrates in winning headers… that’s for U12 teams. 
Passing has nothing to with height. 
Same as tackling. 

But if you would prefer to stick with a Gbamin type player… then that’s your opinion and your quote entitled to it.

I promise you this though…. That’s not how Frank Lampard will be looking at it.

I don't think you can get away with being weak in this league. 

You can get away with being on the small side but you need to be excellent technically. I mean up there with the best in the league.

IMO Gilmour is nowhere near that and I was really disappointed by him at Norwich.

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Depends what you want your ‘6’ to be. 
Midfield enforcer or ball player.

Personally I prefer a ball player in there. 

But it’s game of opinions 🤷

7 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Watched him a few times when he was man of the match and he ran games.  Very clever player.  

I think it all depends on what he needs alongside him. 

Was that for Chelsea Haf? I know he got rave reviews on 2020 (both Chelsea and Scotland v England)

But for Norwich last year I don't recall him dominating games. Out of 24 games he played in prem, Norwich only won one of them. 

47 minutes ago, Bill said:

Not the sort of mid we need, this fella hasn't scored a single goal in his career.  He's not going to give us an awful lot more than Warrington can give us, we need to try what we've got before we go out and buy someone who is not any better.

Gana couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Allan is no threat to score. That really isn’t their job there so I don’t think it’s a particularly relevant stat. 

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Back end of the season he couldn't get into the Norwich team,  is that a relevant stat ?.  we need better than this.

That could be for any number of reasons. If played in a system for which he's not suited, he won't do well. If Lampard believes he can use him more productively (and he knows the guy from Chelsea days, right?), then go for it. If someone has proved themselves more, we'd be paying through the nose. As it is, we must take risks and rely on the good judgment of our manager and the recruitment team.

2 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Was that for Chelsea Haf? I know he got rave reviews on 2020 (both Chelsea and Scotland v England)

But for Norwich last year I don't recall him dominating games. Out of 24 games he played in prem, Norwich only won one of them. 

Chelsea, Scotland…. He has played well more often than not for Scotland. I believe he wasn’t great for Norwich but can’t say I watched him.  

the games I’ve seen him play well in he looks untouchable.  I think lampard wants someone to take the ball from the defenders and control tempo. 

He will not be cheap and I am not sure how much has been hyped about him being simply from the Chelsea academy. If he was simply a Norwich player would teams be clamouring to be paying good money for him this summer? I have not seen enough of him to be honest, to comment on his technical brilliance or not, but not sure Norwich fans where seeing much of it week in week out in the Premiership last season. It sounds like a fair few booed him, which seems harsh on such a young lad.

Money is tight so little room for mistakes or paying over the odds for players.

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Chelsea, Scotland…. He has played well more often than not for Scotland. I believe he wasn’t great for Norwich but can’t say I watched him.  

the games I’ve seen him play well in he looks untouchable.  I think lampard wants someone to take the ball from the defenders and control tempo. 

To be fair, Gomes also looks untouchable at times.

I jest. my concern is that he was fairly anonymous in a shit Norwich side. Guess what....we are currently shit.

16 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

That could be for any number of reasons. If played in a system for which he's not suited, he won't do well. If Lampard believes he can use him more productively (and he knows the guy from Chelsea days, right?), then go for it. If someone has proved themselves more, we'd be paying through the nose. As it is, we must take risks and rely on the good judgment of our manager and the recruitment team.

Doesn't matter what system you play, if your good enough you'll play.

You miss out the main reason why he didn't play, in a team that was the worst in the division with a squad of players who were also the worst in the league, he didn't play because the manager thought he wasn't good enough. That's a simple enough reason.  😊

6 hours ago, StevO said:

Don’t have much of an opinion on Gilmour, but it’s very easy to look shit in a side like Norwich. 
Not sure many people were raving about Godfrey before we signed him. 

Frank knows what the lad is capable of. 

Nobody is raving about Godfrey now he’s been woeful for 12 months 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Doesn't matter what system you play, if your good enough you'll play.

You miss out the main reason why he didn't play, in a team that was the worst in the division with a squad of players who were also the worst in the league, he didn't play because the manager thought he wasn't good enough. That's a simple enough reason.  😊

Or because his skill set wasn't what was required for survival. See Alli for an example closer to home.