IGNORED

Billy Gilmour

I have never been convinced that he is actually that good. Not in the way he is portrayed in the media at least. 

I think he has a very long way to go before he gets near a player with a similar stature as his such as say Kovacic. There is 8 years between them so he has the chance but Im not convinced yet. 

Lots of media hype for sure , he would fit the 'type' we supposedly want too. Young, homegrown etc

Haven't seen a lot of him but think he's more a creative midfielder than a work horse ??

if that's right, its something we are crying out for in the centre of the park, someone to control the tempo of a match 

37 minutes ago, Fosse Captain said:

Lots of media hype for sure , he would fit the 'type' we supposedly want too. Young, homegrown etc

Haven't seen a lot of him but think he's more a creative midfielder than a work horse ??

if that's right, its something we are crying out for in the centre of the park, someone to control the tempo of a match 

I don't see him as the creative type at all. 

He is someone that aims to control the tempo though and keep things ticking over. 

Would have maybe said yes a year ago, but didn't he struggle to get into a Norwich team that would have struggled to put away the Dog & Duck Pub? If Lampard really wants him (as he'll know all about him) then I suppose I can understand it, but it's hardly an exciting signing IMO. Would much prefer Connor Gallagher who actually pulled up a few trees at Crystal Palace. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, patto said:

Probably so he doesn’t walk away for a free in the near future. 

He had 2/3 years left anyway,

I definitely don't think it means they wouldn't let him go like. They could even be wanting to do it this summer and it's just a way of making sure they can ask for a better price.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He had 2/3 years left anyway,

I definitely don't think it means they wouldn't let him go like. They could even be wanting to do it this summer and it's just a way of making sure they can ask for a better price.

Thought his contract was up this summer and the reason for the current extension on offer for 2024?

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He told Chelsea to take up their option on Gilmour?

Mix up between Gilmore and Davies I thought you said we took up the option on Davies you previously said gilmour still had 2/3 years left on his contract. 

15 minutes ago, patto said:

Mix up between Gilmore and Davies I thought you said we took up the option on Davies you previously said gilmour still had 2/3 years left on his contract. 

I did and they took up the option they had to extend that contract for another year on top of that.

17 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I think Davies was improving before his injury. Or rather, maturing. Bit less headless. Interested to see how he comes back .

No quick enough or strong enough.  Doesn’t really offer us anything other than backup at best. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

No quick enough or strong enough.  Doesn’t really offer us anything other than backup at best. 

I’m not particularly a Davies guy, I just think he was a more measured player before the injury. Previously he was quite the headless chicken out there. 

• 1 month later...

I think there is a good chance Gilmour might arrive - but my fear with Gilmour is that he is just to small to ever be a dominant midfielder or offer enough protection at the back if we want marauding backs. Game seems to get more and more athletic each season, with players being ever more bigger and stronger. As good as he may be technically, is a 5'7" player going to be enough to drive us towards the business end of the premier league over the next 3-4 years. 

If the team and playing style is to revolve around a quality number 6, not sure Gilmour will have all the right tools for the upper half of the premier league. 

18 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think there is a good chance Gilmour might arrive - but my fear with Gilmour is that he is just to small to ever be a dominant midfielder or offer enough protection at the back if we want marauding backs. Game seems to get more and more athletic each season, with players being ever more bigger and stronger. As good as he may be technically, is a 5'7" player going to be enough to drive us towards the business end of the premier league over the next 3-4 years. 

If the team and playing style is to revolve around a quality number 6, not sure Gilmour will have all the right tools for the upper half of the premier league. 

I don’t think his height is the issue, it’s his slight build that would be the worry (if there is one). 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don’t think his height is the issue, it’s his slight build that would be the worry (if there is one). 

Agreed.  Might have an eye for a pass but I think build certainly is an issue.  Couldn't assert himself in a Norwich side that was leaky.  I mean Tom Davies would easily knock him off the ball.

Also, if Billy thought his future lied elsewhere why did he sign a contract extension with Chelsea this summer? So maybe it will be just a loan vs buy.  Not my first choice of midfielders we should try to loan from Chelsea.

Guess this is just where we are financially these dark days.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Neither height or build bothered Gana. You just need to be fearless and be able to read situations better. Smaller stature is a different kind of challenge to fend off.