IGNORED

Billy Gilmour

51 minutes ago, StevO said:

Yes, I should feel responsible about how my ancestors treated and you should feel angry about how my ancestors treated yours. Seems healthy. 

For clarity, as you’re not including yourself in English, what nationality do you consider yourself Steve? 

Im English, all of my great grandparents were Irish. So I don’t know if I should be angry at myself for what my country did to my ancestors. 

First of all, apologies to Billy Gilmour if he ever reads this - but this is TT after all.

What is my nationality? Well, I'm waiting for my new passport to arrive, but I suspect it will say I'm a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In other words, I'm British. This is how I always answer. If someone asks whether I'm English, I answer "no, I'm British". Should they continue, "but isn't British and English the same thing?", then I explain that it's not. If you want me to be more specific, I'm Cornish. "But isn't Cornwall just a county in England?" Well, administratively, this may be true, but the Cornish are not English: We're a Celtic nation, just like Wales and Scotland, and we had our own language until the English forced it out of existence. My last name is from that language. The names of the places from where my family mostly come are derived from the Cornish language. Yes, I'm sad that we've lost so much of our culture, but it's a fate suffered by many cultures around the globe. Since Cornwall is beautiful, the English have always bought up property at the expense of locals, but this accelerated during the pandemic. Some, including teachers and nurses, can no longer afford to live in Cornwall and are being forced to leave their homeland. This is very sad - but it's what happens in capitalist nations. The EU protected the Cornish and gave us official minority status, but that's been stripped away.

One of the four lines of my family is not Cornish. It originates with an Ashkenazi Jew who moved from a German state in the 18th century and married into an English family (specifically a family from Devon). Like almost everyone, I'm not descended exclusively from one culture or genetic group. Of course I don't hate the English, because I'm part English, but I associate with my Cornish ancestors. The designation 'British', of course, accommodates all these details. :)

If I feel so strongly about it, then why did I leave? Well, the Cornish have always been known for their travels. Captain Bligh was from Cornwall, for example. When Darwin traveled on the Beagle, he mentioned meeting a Cornish miner in Chile. We're everywhere. You see Cornish last names in parts of the US (especially in Michigan and West Virginia), in Australia, all over. Most of my school class left when 16 - only about 20 of us continued until we were 18. Of those, I know of at least 5 who left Britain as I did, and only about 3 remain in Cornwall. 'What do you do when the English turn it into a tourist trap? Continue fishing or farming or mining - even when those industries are being industrialized, restricted, or exhausted? We're a resourceful people, but we never lose that association with the homeland. And keeping rivalries with the English active in some way keeps our culture alive.

Incidentally, I was once a parliamentary candidate for what was then the Liberal Party. My natural seat was Truro, but my friend David Penhaligon was its very popular MP. Not nine months after I moved to the US, David was killed in a freak accident while driving home from Westminster. If I'd have remained in Cornwall, there's a good chance I would have been the nominated Liberal candidate and won the seat. As it happens, though, I would have made a rotten MP, so maybe it's just as well I left!

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The British Empire did much good, too. I wonder whether India, especially with its civil service and travel infrastructure, would have been so stable without British influence - despite the many terrible things Britain also did. The subject of empire is an interesting one, and it's never a simple history. When traveling the globe, I met many wonderful Brits, who genuinely wanted to help all they met. In contrast, some of the most arrogant people I've ever met overseas were also Brits. 

I agree, the British Empire did good as well as bad, not just infrastructure, civil service, education, stability, it also in later years helped stamp out the slave trade. It did all that at a terrible cost to the cultures and peoples it exploited and dominated. Like all empires.

Its never truly black and white, except perhaps the Nazi's, Poll Pott, Stalinism, and a few others.

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

First of all, apologies to Billy Gilmour if he ever reads this - but this is TT after all.

What is my nationality? Well, I'm waiting for my new passport to arrive, but I suspect it will say I'm a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In other words, I'm British. This is how I always answer. If someone asks whether I'm English, I answer "no, I'm British". Should they continue, "but isn't British and English the same thing?", then I explain that it's not. If you want me to be more specific, I'm Cornish. "But isn't Cornwall just a county in England?" Well, administratively, this may be true, but the Cornish are not English: We're a Celtic nation, just like Wales and Scotland, and we had our own language until the English forced it out of existence. My last name is from that language. The names of the places from where my family mostly come are derived from the Cornish language. Yes, I'm sad that we've lost so much of our culture, but it's a fate suffered by many cultures around the globe. Since Cornwall is beautiful, the English have always bought up property at the expense of locals, but this accelerated during the pandemic. Some, including teachers and nurses, can no longer afford to live in Cornwall and are being forced to leave their homeland. This is very sad - but it's what happens in capitalist nations. The EU protected the Cornish and gave us official minority status, but that's been stripped away.

One of the four lines of my family is not Cornish. It originates with an Ashkenazi Jew who moved from a German state in the 18th century and married into an English family (specifically a family from Devon). Like almost everyone, I'm not descended exclusively from one culture or genetic group. Of course I don't hate the English, because I'm part English, but I associate with my Cornish ancestors. The designation 'British', of course, accommodates all these details. :)

If I feel so strongly about it, then why did I leave? Well, the Cornish have always been known for their travels. Captain Bligh was from Cornwall, for example. When Darwin traveled on the Beagle, he mentioned meeting a Cornish miner in Chile. We're everywhere. You see Cornish last names in parts of the US (especially in Michigan and West Virginia), in Australia, all over. Most of my school class left when 16 - only about 20 of us continued until we were 18. Of those, I know of at least 5 who left Britain as I did, and only about 3 remain in Cornwall. 'What do you do when the English turn it into a tourist trap? Continue fishing or farming or mining - even when those industries are being industrialized, restricted, or exhausted? We're a resourceful people, but we never lose that association with the homeland. And keeping rivalries with the English active in some way keeps our culture alive.

Incidentally, I was once a parliamentary candidate for what was then the Liberal Party. My natural seat was Truro, but my friend David Penhaligon was its very popular MP. Not nine months after I moved to the US, David was killed in a freak accident while driving home from Westminster. If I'd have remained in Cornwall, there's a good chance I would have been the nominated Liberal candidate and won the seat. As it happens, though, I would have made a rotten MP, so maybe it's just as well I left!

I’m Cornish 😂

A country that hasn’t existed in your lifetime 🤔

Fuck it, I’m from Mordor. 

On 21/07/2022 at 23:21, StevO said:

I’m Cornish 😂

A country that hasn’t existed in your lifetime 🤔

Fuck it, I’m from Mordor. 

is that you, Sauron? I guess being an Everton fan explains the perpetual bad mood, yeah? And I bet the eye isn't getting much better watching last season's games! 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He hasn't been given a squad number at Chelsea for this season.

Why even do that to a young lad? Won’t do anything other than knock his confidence and make him feel unwanted. 
If you want to move him on then fine, but he’s a kid, until he’s gone treat him the same as any other player. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Why even do that to a young lad? Won’t do anything other than knock his confidence and make him feel unwanted. 
If you want to move him on then fine, but he’s a kid, until he’s gone treat him the same as any other player. 

I assume he's been spoken to beforehand. Not like high-school where you run over to a list to see if you made it or not :lol:

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I assume he's been spoken to beforehand. Not like high-school where you run over to a list to see if you made it or not :lol:

I’m sure he has been spoken to, but to not even register his number is just an unnecessary action. Doesn’t cost the club anything to give him a number, but just gives the lad a bit of public humiliation that he could probably do with out. Telling him he’s not going to have a future at the club is all well and good, he can go and find himself a transfer, just treat him like any other player while he’s still at your club. 

4 minutes ago, StevO said:

I’m sure he has been spoken to, but to not even register his number is just an unnecessary action. Doesn’t cost the club anything to give him a number, but just gives the lad a bit of public humiliation that he could probably do with out. Telling him he’s not going to have a future at the club is all well and good, he can go and find himself a transfer, just treat him like any other player while he’s still at your club. 

Why register a kid who's got a loan to be confirmed in a day or 2? I'm assuming that's what's happening 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Why register a kid who's got a loan to be confirmed in a day or 2? I'm assuming that's what's happening 

They haven’t given him a squad number, nothing to do with registering him. 

You don’t have to register your final squad until after the transfer window closes. 
But he had a squad number, they have actively taken it from him. If they literally did nothing it would have been less work for them. 

Stick it up there with Koeman taking Niasse’s locker away. Unintentionally cruel for no gain. 

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

You don’t have to register your final squad until after the transfer window closes. 
But he had a squad number, they have actively taken it from him. If they literally did nothing it would have been less work for them. 

Stick it up there with Koeman taking Niasse’s locker away. Unintentionally cruel for no gain. 

Looking back, Koeman was a nasty piece of work.

4 minutes ago, StevO said:

Interesting. Why allocate a number again if he's off on loan again then? 

• 4 weeks later...