IGNORED

Conor Coady

49 minutes ago, Palfy said:

But that’s how teams improve by replacing players with players who are better than what we have, if he’s better than Holgate, Godfrey, and Keane and either of them stay then we have missed an opportunity to improve the team at no real cost. You may not believe he is good enough for Everton but if as you say believe he’s better than 3 players in his position then if he stays and they go the team has to move forward, and no risk of paying 20-25 million for someone who turns out to be worse than them 3. I would like 20-25 million replacement for Mina and Coady staying at no cost and Holgate and Keane going, we would then have better cover and money in the bank. 

You improve by signing players that are actually good though, not by signing someone who is still poor but maybe not as poor as others.

You're not actually any better by signing someone that's just another shade of shite.

You could get rid of every single one of our CB's from last season because they're all poo in their own special way. 

23 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

You improve by signing players that are actually good though, not by signing someone who is still poor but maybe not as poor as others.

You're not actually any better by signing someone that's just another shade of shite.

You could get rid of every single one of our CB's from last season because they're all poo in their own special way. 

If only we had the financial means to do what needs doing but our reality is we don’t, so it’s going to be small steps and small improvements for us for the unseeable future, and Coady represented a player that would have improved CB position over Holgate, Godfrey and possibly Keane at 4.5 million, where as the last 2 cost us 20 and 30 million and they haven’t lived up to our expectations. I think at 4.5 million he would have made an excellent backup for the first team, unless of course Dyche intends to play Tarkowski with Holgate, Godfrey, or Keane in which case he should make the first team. But it’s all irrelevant now that we have sent him back, but it will be interesting to see who we get, and how Coady’s career moves on from here, something tells me we may live to regret it we usually do when it comes to making the right decisions around signings. 

6 hours ago, Formby said:

Dyche didn't want him. That's good enough for me.

How do we know that for certain though? There’s a possibility we can’t spend any money given FFP or the shift in ownership/budget control. I mean, it’s moot regardless, but I just find this an odd revelation. 

3 hours ago, RPG said:

Maybe not. But if you had to go to work (or play a footie match) surely you would rather do it with flu (Coady) than Covid-19 (Keane, Holgate and maybe Godfrey) wouldn’t you?

Nope, I'd rather just not be fucking ill because ill is ill, it doesn't matter abut the degree of it.

Anyway, no point going round in a circle over this - we thankfully haven't signed another subpar player and he's currently on the look out for a new set of pom poms in different colours.

11 minutes ago, RPG said:

I’m sure we would all rather not be ill.

But we have to deal with what we’ve got, not what we would rather have or not have.

The fact of the matter is that Everton is sick and Coady would have given us a better chance of recovering our health than Keane or Holgate or Godfrey.

Personally, I don't choose to be ill when I don't need to be, but if you want to go round licking walls to get ill that's your lookout I suppose.

I'm out and so is Conor Coady.

33 minutes ago, RPG said:

I think you are choosing to miss the point here Romey as I am sure you are smart enough to see it.

Nobody ‘chooses’ to be ill but that doesn’t stop people (or football clubs) from getting sick. Everton is a sick club and has just amputated a healthy part of its body while at least 3 of its limbs continue to show no signs of functioning properly.

I'm not missing any point, not by choice or ignorance, but thanks for acknowledging my intelligence, it means a lot.

You have said you would choose to sign Coady (illness), so you are saying you would choose to get ill.

Everton chose to get rid of an illness and they may very well choose to get rid of further illness (or limbs) in the coming months. The transfer window isn't even open yet.

Now, I'm sure you'll have something else to say after this but you're not getting any more responses from me now so have at it.

7 hours ago, RPG said:

I’m not sure we can assume that. FFP may mean that we just can’t afford him.

I think Dyche leaving him out of the starting XI after the Villa game (and putting Keane in) suggests he didn't want him.

I am sure the 4.5 million will be used on players he does want!

This is fucking weird thread!

I feel like some of you lot are the types that would see a reduced price, on date, ropey looking prawn cocktail sandwich because it was 20p off when there is a freshly made BLT on the shelf above.

Coady is bang average (at best). We have too many bang average players. It doesn't matter how much he costs, we need less bang average and not more. Move on!

44 minutes ago, RPG said:

I understand your point but Coady is also reliable (well, a lot more reliable than Holgate, Keane and Godfrey) and he is a leader. I rate him above all three of those and for £4.5 million I think he is a solid back up. The only way I am happy with this now is if Keane and Holgate also leave (I’ll give Godfrey the long covid benefit of the doubt for now) and they are replaced with much better quality.

I'd also have him over Holgate, Godfrey and Keane. They'd also probably get more than 4.5m each too. We must have a new strict policy of not signing anyone who's value is only likely to go down or something. 

23 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Poor is poor, it doesn't really matter about the level of it.

I could have the flu or Covid but I wouldn't want to have either of them.

We've brought in enough players over the past few years that don't improve us, and signing Coady permanently would have just carried on that trend. I'm ecstatic that we're moving away from that by not taking up the option to sign him.

Actually that’s a great point, let’s get Ruben Dias from City for next season, simples! 🤷🏻‍♂️

The general consensus of the football community in this country is one of astonishment at letting Coady go, and that our next move to replace Coady and Mina is eagerly awaited. One can’t help feeling that this is going to bite us in the arse in a big way. I’m still dumbfounded as a club we were could have done such a thing. If that was down to Dyche then we have big problems coming our way. 

6 hours ago, RPG said:

I understand your point but Coady is also reliable (well, a lot more reliable than Holgate, Keane and Godfrey) and he is a leader. I rate him above all three of those and for £4.5 million I think he is a solid back up. The only way I am happy with this now is if Keane and Holgate also leave (I’ll give Godfrey the long covid benefit of the doubt for now) and they are replaced with much better quality.

I don't think he is any more reliable than Keane to be honest. Godfrey and Holgate yes, but is questionable as to how much more. I dont get why we would buy another player to sit on the bench and be average. Id also he isnt suited to the way Dyche will want to play (4 at the back, defending lots of crosses).

We might not be able to sell any of the other players either, whereas we can give Coady back to Wolves.

We have no money, the last thing we need to do is waste it on a mediocre player we dont need, in a position we dont need. 

8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I don't think he is any more reliable than Keane to be honest. Godfrey and Holgate yes, but is questionable as to how much more. I dont get why we would buy another player to sit on the bench and be average. Id also he isnt suited to the way Dyche will want to play (4 at the back, defending lots of crosses).

We might not be able to sell any of the other players either, whereas we can give Coady back to Wolves.

We have no money, the last thing we need to do is waste it on a mediocre player we dont need, in a position we dont need. 

There’s a stat flying around and I know how you love a stat Bailey, which is that when Tarkowski and Coady were in partnership the team conceded far less goals than when Dyche changed it to Tarkowski and Keane to bring us a piece of the good old Burnley days that we’ve all been waiting for. I think evidence there that Coady is an improvement on Keane as well as Holgate and Godfrey. 

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

I’m not disappointed that we didn’t sign him because he is a great player, although by all accounts he is a great character and leader in the dressing room. For me at £4.5m we should have signed him and sold the other 3, all of whom would bring in more than £4.5m so it’s money we could use elsewhere

Fair enough if we get shut of them and bring someone else in plus Branthwaite then I’m fine with it

53 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

For me at £4.5m we should have signed him and sold the other 3, all of whom would bring in more than £4.5m so it’s money we could use elsewhere

People keep saying this but you have to have a club that wants to buy them. It's not as easy as saying just get rid or they'd more than likely already be gone.

Rumoured interest in a couple of them in January, sure, but we don't know what terms were being offered. They might not have been favourable to us and we can't afford to take huge hits on deals when we're sailing close to the wind with our finances and that will be the case in the summer too.

The best case scenario would be to sell all 3, promote Branthwaite next season, sign a couple of defenders that can actually defend and leave Coady at Wolves.

The last bit has happened and it is the right decision. I liked him as a man and I liked how he bought into the club but as a defender he leaves a lot to be desired.

His defending against Villa for Buendia's goal was atrocious and every bit as shambolic as anything Keane, Holgate and Godfrey has done. He's much of a muchness with our poor defenders so why spend money on him when we can send him back and not? Plus, Dyche will be looking to play a back 4 and he just isn't as suited to playing in a 2 so it's wasted money.

If we didn't have to be frugal then, do you know what, I wouldn't be averse to us signing him (I certainly wouldn't have been devastated if we'd made him permanent tbh, not pleased but not devastated either). But we need to look after every penny, so I can completely understand why we haven't done it.

Who knows, maybe we're waiting to get him until we know we've sold someone. You know, the sensible option, and then you can all stop crying :lol:.

On 02/06/2023 at 14:31, Bailey said:

This is fucking weird thread!

I feel like some of you lot are the types that would see a reduced price, on date, ropey looking prawn cocktail sandwich because it was 20p off when there is a freshly made BLT on the shelf above.

Coady is bang average (at best). We have too many bang average players. It doesn't matter how much he costs, we need less bang average and not more. Move on!

To be fair, we're becoming a bit of a ropey looking prawn cocktail sandwich of a club. Good players will be wanting to go to the freshly made BLT ones.

4 minutes ago, Formby said:

To be fair, we're becoming a bit of a ropey looking prawn cocktail sandwich of a club. Good players will be wanting to go to the freshly made BLT ones.

I'd rather have a ropey prawn sandwich every time, nobody (me aside) cooks the bacon right in BLTs, often a half decent vet could resuscitate the beast!

21 hours ago, Palfy said:

There’s a stat flying around and I know how you love a stat Bailey, which is that when Tarkowski and Coady were in partnership the team conceded far less goals than when Dyche changed it to Tarkowski and Keane to bring us a piece of the good old Burnley days that we’ve all been waiting for. I think evidence there that Coady is an improvement on Keane as well as Holgate and Godfrey. 

I like stats that mean something, not rubbish like that 😜

11 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I’m not disappointed that we didn’t sign him because he is a great player, although by all accounts he is a great character and leader in the dressing room. For me at £4.5m we should have signed him and sold the other 3, all of whom would bring in more than £4.5m so it’s money we could use elsewhere

Fair enough if we get shut of them and bring someone else in plus Branthwaite then I’m fine with it

As Romey says, thats all well and good if we can sell the other three. If we can't then buying Coady would be a waste of money we don't have.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we get him later in the window for around £2m.

We aren't going to sign anyone before July because of the financial constraints we're under until June 30th and apparently Wolves aren't even asking for £4.5m if anyone wants him now (shocking as he's just SO good).

Centre halves:- tarks, Godfrey, Holgate, Keane, branthwaite, 

basically…. We have one reliable centre half, hopefully if branthwaite is up to standard then we have a partnership but none of the others are good enough.

if we could get Coady for a couple of million it wouldn’t be a bad thing unless there are bargains to be had. 

johnny evans? 

6 hours ago, RPG said:

I suggested Johnny Evans a while ago. At the right price he could be a reliable stop gap for a season or two.

I poo pooed the idea of evans a while back but he’s really proven his pedigree. Not sure if he’s at the point of breaking down now though.  35…. If we could get a season he could be a very good cover