IGNORED

Conor Coady

3 hours ago, StevO said:

Our problem hasn’t been conceding, it’s creating.

Nail on the head. And something from DoF and above have constantly let us down with, to be honest being a defender for Everton must be a complete nightmare, when you see the poor quality in front of you every game. 

• 3 months later...

Makes sense to keep him with Mina going and potentially Keane and hopefully Holgate. Branthwaite needs to be integrated - Tarkowski will once again be first choice (not missed a minute all season) and Godfrey will get his fair share. Coady is a leader - we lack these already and with Mina leaving we’d be losing one of our biggest characters - £5m isn’t a lot even in our position and he’s steady and reliable and usually fit.

7 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

I keep hearing "only keep coady if we play a back 3" - where does that come from - genuine question - was he in a back 3 at wolves or something?

It's no one on here that has said that, I've just read it in multiple other places.

Well, he's a midfielder that is a pretty poor defender in reality. At Wolves they played a 3 at the back so he could stand in defence as a midfielder that didn't have to do much defending and could just be a midfielder in essence. Then they wanted to move to a 4 at the back and felt he couldn't play as one of 2 CB's so fucked him off and we picked him up.

I guess we have to sign him, we aren't going to get better value for money and need a few players through the door this summer.

To be fair, he was very sturdy at the beginning of the season and isn't a bad option to have. I hope we will be replacing Mina with a strong CB who can start alongside Tarks, but I doubt it.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Put it this way, I hope Branthwaite is given a go to prove himself and takes his chance and cements his place as a first choice CB alongside Tarkowski.

I don't want to see Coady playing often at all. I remember when I kept hearing Townsend would just be a filler signing!

I mostly agree, but if Branthwaite doesn't work out (he's done well in a weaker league, so it's far from guaranteed) then Coady is a relatively competent and affordable 4th choice 

5 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

With Coady in the side, the Toffees conceded 29 in 23 games - a rate of 1.26 per game. By contrast, Everton shipped in a whopping 27 goals from 14 games - or 1.93 per game.

Soooo, our best defender conversation isn't going away is it?