IGNORED

Conor Coady

On 12/08/2022 at 08:16, Cornish Steve said:

With Tarkowski and Coady, we're going to have one of the strongest defensive pairings in the league. I've admired these two players for some time (and let's not forget they are both England internationals), and bringing the two of them in is sheer brilliance. Take a risk on bringing in one or two of the U-23s in other areas of the team and I'm getting increasingly excited about our prospects for the future. The turn-around is imminent.

It's not often I get things right, but numbers-wise we're currently the tightest defence in the Prem.

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

It's not often I get things right, but numbers-wise we're currently the tightest defence in the Prem.

Such a Hugh turn around from last season, I think we need to add Pickford as a key contributor, he’s made some fantastic and vital saves this season, and Begovic when called upon.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bailey said:

He is head and shoulders our best defender. I am a little shocked because I had big doubts about him in this system but the difference between him and the rest is huge. 

If he had that bit more pace / strength he would be playing at a team at the top of the league and not the bottom. 

Our defence and goalkeeper look fine. It's everything in front of them that is the problem.

46 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I mean in terms of defending. Mykolenko has put in some top defensive performances and Coleman isn't the worst defender you'll find.

As a defensive unit they work fine.

I thought you meant yesterday, they were awful attacking ans defending. 

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Our defence and goalkeeper look fine. It's everything in front of them that is the problem.

I disagree, I think Coady is by far the best.

Tarkowski is getting away with some things and then having other great moments. 

Mykolenko is making far too many mistakes. 

Patterson also needs to do better in both defence and attack but looks promising. 

We are shielding our defence so much with our midfield to the point that it is stifling our attack and we are still one of the worst teams in the league for the quality of chances conceded.

• 2 months later...

I freely admit that I did not want him here because I don't rate him in the slightest, but he wasn't as bad as I feared.

However, after seeing him for a prolonged period now it's never been more obvious that he was a midfielder that has been converted into a defender. He is very reluctant to do any actual defending. More often than that when there's a header to be won he will actually back off and let the opposition player just have it, because he is more interested in just being a sweeper.

I feel like he is a big reason behind why we look very shaky defensively, and why teams are getting so many shots at our goal. At least with Tarkowski you know he's doing for everything no matter what, but with Coady it must be a nightmare for the wing-back/full back on his side, and his CB partner. 

Edit - zero tackles and zero interceptions from him yesterday apparently, and it's not the first time this season. He's a defender that doesn't defend.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I freely admit that I did not want him here because I don't rate him in the slightest, but he wasn't as bad as I feared.

However, after seeing him for a prolonged period now it's never been more obvious that he was a midfielder that has been converted into a defender. He is very reluctant to do any actual defending. More often than that when there's a header to be won he will actually back off and let the opposition player just have it, because he is more interested in just being a sweeper.

I feel like he is a big reason behind why we look very shaky defensively, and why teams are getting so many shots at our goal. At least with Tarkowski you know he's doing for everything no matter what, but with Coady it must be a nightmare for the wing-back/full back on his side, and his CB partner. 

Edit - zero tackles and zero interceptions from him yesterday apparently, and it's not the first time this season. He's a defender that doesn't defend.

See I find Tarkowski similar. 

They both have a habit of standing off their attacker because they are frightened of getting close. That is one of the reason Tarkowski gets so many blocks because the reality is, the attacker shouldn't have had that space on the ball in the first place. I'll add thats not all the time, because he has makes some great blocks too.

Tarkowski also ended the game with no tackles or interceptions yesterday. Coady even won an extra aerial duel. 

You can add Godfrey to that list too. He has the physical ability to be aggressive and stay tight but he just isn't a very good defender.

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

See I find Tarkowski similar. 

They both have a habit of standing off their attacker because they are frightened of getting close. That is one of the reason Tarkowski gets so many blocks because the reality is, the attacker shouldn't have had that space on the ball in the first place. I'll add thats not all the time, because he has makes some great blocks too.

Tarkowski also ended the game with no tackles or interceptions yesterday. Coady even won an extra aerial duel. 

You can add Godfrey to that list too. He has the physical ability to be aggressive and stay tight but he just isn't a very good defender.

If it wasn't so shit I'd find it hilarious that there are a group of defenders that don't defend :lol:.

You just have to look at their chances and you can see what I mean.

Their looped chance - Coleman isn't aggressive enough and lets them bring it down. Godfrey gets really square on and gets beaten inside. JWP moves off Coady into acres of space, Tarkowski and Mykolenko both try and go out which leaves space for their man to get a shot off. Everyone is just so passive. No one is engaged and when they do, they are either beaten or its too late.

The chance just before half time - Literally a long ball upfield, Tarkowski is there but doesn't really challenge for it and then allows Adams to turn and pass the ball out when he should be all over him. Coady has to drop deep because he doesn't have the pace to stay that high up the field. Coady also has to cover for Godfrey who is really slow to react to his runner, Godfrey doesn't stop the pass and because Coady has covered for him and Tarkowski has taken himself out of the game, JWP gets a shot off.

1st goal - The gaps between the three CB's is too big. Again Coady doesn't have the pace to cover properly behind Tarkowski. The latter gets completely lost though, he doesn't know what is around him. He should be dropping back into the line to cover for Coady IMO because he is aware of the run of JWP. Gueye lets him go, but its 3 CB's v 2 attackers so I don't have a problem there, albeit Lampard did in his post-match conference. Coady should be a bit embarrassed though as he should at least be making some contact with Adams. He was never going to be winning the ball but he puts himself the wrong side of the goal and in a position that he is unable to impact the game. Godfrey is asleep again, then he gets beaten. He should never be going to ground in that position. If he stands up, he pushes JWP back into Tarkowski who was trying to recover. That small second, might have been enough to effect the outcome and at least give Pickford a better angle. 

That is all you get to see on the highlights but time and again it happens. Tarkowski gets pulled out of position and doesn't win the ball. Coady's lack of physical strength and recovery pace is exposed so he has to drop deeper than he should and Godfrey is too dozy to do anything. The further upfield they play, the worse they are. For the love of god just camp them on our 18 yard box.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still like him. Two clean sheets in the last three games, with more structure in the team. If we can get get him for a few million and sell some of the weaker defenders we have we could have money to invest in attacking players. Our problem hasn’t been conceding, it’s creating. 
If we don’t sign him we’ll probably offer Mina a contract extension instead.