IGNORED

Conor Coady

1 minute ago, Matt said:

We need another CB. £4.5m for filler is very cheap. 

We need a GOOD one.

If we're planning on playing 3 at the back regularly then it makes sense, but we won't so it doesn't.

Spend what money we'll have better. Misspending it is what has gotten us into this mess.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

We need a GOOD one.

If we're planning on playing 3 at the back regularly then it makes sense, but we won't so it doesn't.

Spend what money we'll have better. Misspending it is what has gotten us into this mess.

Mispending £20, £30, £40 million per player multiple times got us into this mess.

However, I will say, as I always believe, that if we have a youthful option he should be given the opportunity before any squad filler. Although I think Coady is a bit more valuable than that label.

Just now, Newty82 said:

Mispending £20, £30, £40 million per player multiple times got us into this mess.

However, I will say, as I always believe, that if we have a youthful option he should be given the opportunity before any squad filler. Although I think Coady is a bit more valuable than that label.

Misspending any amount of money is not what we should be doing.

I'm pleased we've seen sense on this one. An expensive cheerleader is all he is.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Devastated? Really? Surely you're exaggerating.

More so for the shit stirring I have lost with you...

I do feel Coady is better than some of our other defenders but if Dyche has someone in mind who is younger/better I trust him.

45 minutes ago, RPG said:

So who does this leave in central defence:

Holgate

Godfrey

Keane

Tarkowski

Branthwaite (maybe)

Not very inspiring, is it!

Not when you put our worst defenders its not...

Absolutely bizarre decision 4.5 million is fuck all we could have sold 18 months down the line for 10-15 million. Obviously we haven’t been allowed to spend 4.5 million due to FFP rules, because only a club full of brain dead twats would turn down an opportunity like that, just remembered we are club of brain dead twats. What ever the reason for not buying him is shocking really and just sums up the state of our club. And it’s alright thinking Dyche or Therwell have someone else in mind, as we saw last January we had half a dozen in mind and couldn’t get one to sign. 

2 hours ago, RPG said:

So who does this leave in central defence:

Holgate

Godfrey

Keane

Tarkowski

Branthwaite (maybe)

Not very inspiring, is it!

Very scary indeed, Holgate, Keane & Godfrey we know are not good enough and Branthwaite is still unproven. Oh and we have to pray Tarkowski is an ever present again next year

If only there was an England CB with great leadership skills that we could bring in for a modest fee, something like £4.5m

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Or give Branthwaite a run

Yeah, of course. But Tark, Godfrey, Branthwaite, Keane, Holgate. Assume that another 1 of them leaves, we have 3 CBs left (I'll let you all decide who doesn't count as CB).

1 injury, 1 suspension, we're fucked. Coady was a cheap and reliable backup. 

Ah well, not happening. We move on.

I’m starting to think we’ve turned down the opportunity to sign fucking Maldini and not Conor Coady here. The last few years of supporting this club has clearly made a few people lose their minds.

The one thing he does well is screech like a fucking banshee.

I’d rather spend £10m/£15m on a defender that is actually good (or even sign no one) than waste £4.5m on a player.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’m starting to think we’ve turned down the opportunity to sign fucking Maldini and not Conor Coady here. The last few years of supporting this club has clearly made a few people lose their minds.

The one thing he does well is screech like a fucking banshee.

I’d rather spend £10m/£15m on a defender that is actually good (or even sign no one) than waste £4.5m on a player.

He may not be Maldini but he is still better than Keane, Holgate and Godfrey so I would rather have kept him as a cheap and reliable backup option and sold one or all of the other three

Im hoping this means they have another CB lined up because I don’t think those three are up to it

10 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

He may not be Maldini but he is still better than Keane, Holgate and Godfrey so I would rather have kept him as a cheap and reliable backup option and sold one or all of the other three

Im hoping this means they have another CB lined up because I don’t think those three are up to it

Even if he is he's still poor. Just because he isn't as poor as others doesn't mean he's actually any good. And it's all fine and well saying you'd rather sell this player and that player but you've got to have a buyer.

I'm hoping it just means the club are backing Dyche because he only played 3 at the back out of necessity and he'll be looking to play a 4 next season, meaning using any of our limited budget on a player not really suitable for it would have been idiotic.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Even if he is he's still poor. Just because he isn't as poor as others doesn't mean he's actually any good. And it's all fine and well saying you'd rather sell this player and that player but you've got to have a buyer.

I'm hoping it just means the club are backing Dyche because he only played 3 at the back out of necessity and he'll be looking to play a 4 next season, meaning using any of our limited budget on a player not really suitable for it would have been idiotic.

I think there would be plenty of takers for all three and I also think you would get more than £4.5m for any of them meaning we would actually have a better budget to strengthen else where

So him not being as poor as those three is a valid point IMO

Although it could become a moot point if all four go and we get some decent replacements on the cheap and we would all be happy!

3 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think there would be plenty of takers for all three and I also think you would get more than £4.5m for any of them meaning we would actually have a better budget to strengthen else where

So him not being as poor as those three is a valid point IMO

Although it could become a moot point if all four go and we get some decent replacements on the cheap and we would all be happy!

Poor is poor, it doesn't really matter about the level of it.

I could have the flu or Covid but I wouldn't want to have either of them.

We've brought in enough players over the past few years that don't improve us, and signing Coady permanently would have just carried on that trend. I'm ecstatic that we're moving away from that by not taking up the option to sign him.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

But that’s how teams improve by replacing players with players who are better than what we have, if he’s better than Holgate, Godfrey, and Keane and either of them stay then we have missed an opportunity to improve the team at no real cost. You may not believe he is good enough for Everton but if as you say believe he’s better than 3 players in his position then if he stays and they go the team has to move forward, and no risk of paying 20-25 million for someone who turns out to be worse than them 3. I would like 20-25 million replacement for Mina and Coady staying at no cost and Holgate and Keane going, we would then have better cover and money in the bank. 

31 minutes ago, Matt said:

There is a possibility that we couldn't afford £4.5m...

This is what I'm worried about. It seems a no-brainer to move on two of Keane, Holgate, or Godfrey if we think we can get suitors for them. I think Coady makes sense as a back-up for the fee, as long as we brought in a replacement in addition to Brainthwaite coming back and proving capable of a spot in the first team. We won't find many CB's at Coady's price. If we plan on keeping at least two of the above mentioned then I can understand not bringing back Coady though.