IGNORED

Man Utd (Away) FA Cup - 6/1/23

FairWooney

Well I bet no one can wait for this one.

I'm glad it's away from home now as it at least takes away from the pressure and anger of the crowd for a week.

I'm going to suggest plenty of changes, partly because we probably won't get a result and it's not our priority, partly because the current lot aren't performing and partly because the others might as well get a chance.

Pickford

Coleman      Godfrey   Mina   Coady    Vinagre

Onana  Iwobi       Price

Simms    Maupay

This team looks pretty terrible to be honest and I struggled to find players to fill certain positions.

Coleman - Not sure if Patterson will be fit but best to leave him out for a rest, he's also made quite a few naive defensive errors and a game off may be best for him.  Plus keep Coleman sharp jut in case he's required.

Centre backs - Godfrey definitely comes in, the others I'm pretty open to but I'd got with 3 of them.

Vinagre - Mykolenko has struggled a bit of late and isn't the best going forward.  In a 5 at the back lets give Vinagre a go for this game and see if he's any use.

Centre mids - Not much choice here but Onana comes back and though I didn't make much of Price whilst he was on last night it was a lost cause when he came in and I'd give him a run out and a chance to impress here.  I don't see any option but leaving Iwobi in otherwise I'd leave him out!  Davies and Doucoure would be the only other options and I'm struggling to find any positive reason to suggest they should be in the team!

Forwards - I'd like to see Simms get a start to have a chance to show what he can do, I think he needs some support along side him (DCL would benefit from this also) so for this game lets give Maupay a game.

Predicting a decent defensive effort similar to City but ultimately a 3-0 defeat

Might be a good thing to have a game so soon after whatever that was against Brighton. Similar line up for me, lots of changes. Pickford or Begovic in goal, I wouldn’t be fussed.

Begovic

Holgate       Coady      Godfrey 

Coleman     Price        Onana        Vinagre

Gordon                        Iwobi

Simms 

10 hours ago, milesey05 said:

FA Cup- Go full strength for me. 8 days rest before Saints.

Asking some players to play 3 games in 6/7 days though isn’t going to be full strength.

Biggest problem is Frank won’t know what is full strength team is because the players are so inconsistent. I don’t think any player really deserves to run out against United on merit after the Brighton game. 

We have a handful of players that haven't played both previous games and I expect them to start.

We will have to sit deep and try and counter.

I expect something like:

Pickford

Coleman Coady Godfrey Vinagre

Gueye Onana Doucoure

Gray Simms Gordon

All three midfielders have the energy to go box-to-box, both wingers have pace and Simms has a mix of power and pace. 

We dont want Coleman knackering himself out so he holds his position more with Vinagre overlapping Gray. Get Gordon at presumably Malacia 1 v 1. Keep him wide and get to the byline. 

Leave Gueye to patrol the left side to cover the overlaps from Vinagre and let Doucoure get forward on the right to stop Gordon from being doubled up. He just needs to stay far enough away from him as I can imagine the dozy idiot just running in his way and dragging defenders towards Gordon rather than away from him. 

I worry about how the ball will stick with Simms but he just needs to find a way to get the ball down and played into midfield, before spinning to spearhead the attack again.

• This will be the 13th FA Cup meeting between Manchester United and Everton, with each side progressing six times previously. It's the first ever third round meeting between the sides, and earliest they've faced since meeting in the second round in 1908-09.

• Everton have won just one of their last 29 away games against Man Utd in all competitions (all in the Premier League), winning 1-0 in December 2013. This is their first away game against them in the FA Cup since a 1-0 loss in the 1982-83 quarter-final.

• Manchester United have only been eliminated from two of their last 37 FA Cup third round ties, though both defeats in that run came at Old Trafford (against Leeds in 2009-10 and Swansea in 2013-14).

• Everton have progressed from 10 of their last 14 FA Cup third round ties. However, all four eliminations in that run have been in their only four such meetings with fellow Premier League opponents.

• Frank Lampard eliminated United from the semi-final as Chelsea manager in 2019-20.

This is very much a pivotal 'job on the line' game. If I am Lampard, I put out my strongest team possible and the player I have the most trust in. A good performance is an absolute must. Players really need to leave it all on the pitch and show us all that they really want Lampard leading them and they actually still believe in him.

I need to be seeing that they all all still have faith in him. 

I also think being away from Goodison for this game is probably a good thing at this moment in time. 

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

This is very much a pivotal 'job on the line' game. If I am Lampard, I put out my strongest team possible and the player I have the most trust in. A good performance is an absolute must. Players really need to leave it all on the pitch and show us all that they really want Lampard leading them and they actually still believe in him.

I need to be seeing that they all all still have faith in him. 

I also think being away from Goodison for this game is probably a good thing at this moment in time. 

Watch him throw out our best team and we lose players to injury. 

Just now, RPG said:

It is a risk but I really don't see he has much choice. If he plays a weakened team and gets well beaten he will be out of a job and the team will be even further down on confidence. I think the performance is so important that the risk of losing a couple of players to injury is acceptable.

I have just said in the Lampard thread he needs to play the team he has in mind for the Saints game, for the reasons mentioned in that post. But I do agree with you we need to play a team win or lose that shows a desire and cohesion to win. 

9 hours ago, RPG said:

I don't know why I continue to do it but I'll have my alarm set for 3.30am so I can get up for kick off here in Malaysia and I'll live in hope until hope is, once again, extinguished.

I think we need a strong team and a strong performance and judging by what Frank said in his presser I think that's what he will be trying for. I would go 3 at the back and set up as much as possible like we did for the City game.

Pickford

Godfrey  Coady  Tarkowski

Coleman Iwobi  Gueye Onana Mykolenko

DCL  Gray

Your alarm went off then, RP!!

4 minutes ago, RPG said:

I don't get it. If DCL is fit for the bench he is fit to start. I say play DCL until he is breathing through his arse, then think about Simms or Maupay as a sub.

If Frank started him 3 times in the space of a week & he got injured again… imagine the backlash. Unfortunately he does need manage Dom back to full match fitness.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Strong line-up for United but they have Shaw playing at CB which has to be exploitable. Shame we dont have either one of our stronger forwards on the pitch to bully him.

I get the feeling our attacking threat will be from Gray dragging us up the pitch. No pressure on him.

I would have liked the see the same line up but simms for Maupay just for this reason. Shaw won’t want to deal with such a physical player & if he can get a knock down for gray to run at Varane we could have gotten some success out it