IGNORED

Sean Dyche

Hafnia

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I think he will also be in trouble. 

However, with a purely analytical head on (not easy when football is very emmotion driven).

- considering what we have seen before we are not actually playing that badly, its the odd defensive lapse and inches away from scoring that is frustrating. Given where we are it somehow fees it now only an additional small adjustment from picking up more points and getting what we now deserve from game. We have been miles away from this in the past. Change now and its start again to a degree.  

- We are actually only five games in since the transfer window has shut (which is the real start of the season to me) - and since this time it actually 2W, 1D 2L (all being premier league opposition), not shit the bed results in my opinion,

- Given the players we have (particauly our strikers) is this not going to suit a Dyche style of management - is now really a time to try something different, 

- can we as a club currently afford to pay massive compensation to Dyche?

- Who else is realistically going to come to the club given the current situation with regard to new ownership, is now a time to experiment with untested managers?

Comparing how we are now to how it was with Lampard with him starting with a new slate last season, I do think the team/squad is in a much better place set up and performance wise - even if the results are not showing that just yet. 

Can we afford to get relegated? No.

We have won 1 game in the premier league and drawn 1 in arguably the easiest start for any club who is likely to be in the fight for survival. 

this XG bollocks is actually a complete load of bollocks - for example our goal we scored vs Luton was 3 XG cos the 2 chances missed leading up to DCL finishing were counted. 

we are talking about missing chances like a golfer misses putts….. as if they are all meant to go in. They don’t,  just like the defense don’t deal with things they should do.

to top it off the manager takes an age to change mistakes that he shouldn’t have made in the first place.

apologies for the negativity - I sat through his press conference. Absolutely embarrassing 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Can we afford to get relegated? No.

We have won 1 game in the premier league and drawn 1 in arguably the easiest start for any club who is likely to be in the fight for survival. 

this XG bollocks is actually a complete load of bollocks - for example our goal we scored vs Luton was 3 XG cos the 2 chances missed leading up to DCL finishing were counted. 

we are talking about missing chances like a golfer misses putts….. as if they are all meant to go in. They don’t,  just like the defense don’t deal with things they should do.

to top it off the manager takes an age to change mistakes that he shouldn’t have made in the first place.

apologies for the negativity - I sat through his press conference. Absolutely embarrassing 

I think it would be pretty rough on Dyche to sack him on the fact players are not converting good chances in to goals when we are playing OK football. 

Seen enough shit the past two or three season to recognise when we are actually playing OK in game and deserve more points that we are seeig - fuck all to do with xG. This past few years we have rightly deserved to come off the pitch with no points, I don't see this as the case.

Luton Town was a piss poor result, but its right on the back of two very good results. We have to take a bit of a rolling assessment over 4-5 games and not panic everytime we lose a game or two again. Over past 4-5 games we are doing OK performaces and result wise, and Luton is the only real unexpected disappopintment since transfer window was shut.

We are in a period of change, so its not going to be plane sailing especially with a lot of young inconsistent players in the team. 

I think we are more likely to see us getting the points performances are deserving under Dyche than we are to see a notible improvment by sacking him and bringing somebody else in.

We are still in the Cup and only 7 games in to a season, just 4 games past the transfer window. Far to early to be sacking again. 

If we play like we are playing for the rest of the season we are not going to get relegated - results will even themselves out. 

10 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I think it would be pretty rough on Dyche to sack him on the fact players are not converting good chances in to goals when we are playing OK football. 

Seen enough shit the past two or three season to recognise when we are actually playing OK in game and deserve more points that we are seeig - fuck all to do with xG. This past few years we have rightly deserved to come off the pitch with no points, I don't see this as the case.

Luton Town was a piss poor result, but its right on the back of two very good results. We have to take a bit of a rolling assessment over 4-5 games and not panic everytime we lose a game or two again. Over past 4-5 games we are doing OK performaces and result wise, and Luton is the only real unexpected disappopintment since transfer window was shut.

We are in a period of change, so its not going to be plane sailing especially with a lot of young inconsistent players in the team. 

I think we are more likely to see us getting the points performances are deserving under Dyche than we are to see a notible improvment by sacking him and bringing somebody else in.

We are still in the Cup and only 7 games in to a season, just 4 games past the transfer window. Far to early to be sacking again. 

If we play like we are playing for the rest of the season we are not going to get relegated - results will even themselves out. 

We aren’t missing sitters, we aren’t doing a Man City and putting it on a plate.

Fans have become so desensitised to awful football that we are viewing a few shots on goal as a positive. We aren’t playing well at all.

this is arguably the weakest league I have seen in a long long time. Burnley, Luton, Sheff United, Brentford, Wolves, Fulham, Forest…… just look at them, all really poor sides.

we ain’t great but fook me we shouldn’t even be in the running for relegation with the players we have got. 

I really gave Dyche a chance, I even thought “hang on he’s found it” when he played Brentford and Villa but utterly threw it all in the bin with his set up and tactics vs Luton.

the utter shite that fell out of his mouth in the press conference, it’s just word salad - same old nonsense, change the story, narrative, sharper, margins, XG.

im completely in the camp that if he stays - we go.  A half competent manager would get that side midtable in this league 

18 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

We aren’t missing sitters, we aren’t doing a Man City and putting it on a plate.

Fans have become so desensitised to awful football that we are viewing a few shots on goal as a positive. We aren’t playing well at all.

this is arguably the weakest league I have seen in a long long time. Burnley, Luton, Sheff United, Brentford, Wolves, Fulham, Forest…… just look at them, all really poor sides.

we ain’t great but fook me we shouldn’t even be in the running for relegation with the players we have got. 

I really gave Dyche a chance, I even thought “hang on he’s found it” when he played Brentford and Villa but utterly threw it all in the bin with his set up and tactics vs Luton.

the utter shite that fell out of his mouth in the press conference, it’s just word salad - same old nonsense, change the story, narrative, sharper, margins, XG.

im completely in the camp that if he stays - we go.  A half competent manager would get that side midtable in this league 

His pressers send me to sleep he’d make a better politician than a football manager, the one question asked that was worth asking questioning why he didn’t play Garner in midfield as it’s his best position he gets all shitty and defensive because he knows he fucked up, the consensus by the majority that I’ve heard or read all say Garner should have played in the middle and Danjuma or Harrison wide right. If we don’t see that next Saturday with Gana on the bench and we lose he will lose Goodison Park if he hasn’t already, all the praising the supporters every time we lose at home won’t save his job, Evertonian’s aren’t stupid blowing smoke up their arses doesn’t or shouldn’t impress them winning games and points on the board is what we want. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

His pressers send me to sleep he’d make a better politician than a football manager, the one question asked that was worth asking questioning why he didn’t play Garner in midfield as it’s his best position he gets all shitty and defensive because he knows he fucked up, the consensus by the majority that I’ve heard or read all say Garner should have played in the middle and Danjuma or Harrison wide right. If we don’t see that next Saturday with Gana on the bench and we lose he will lose Goodison Park if he hasn’t already, all the praising the supporters every time we lose at home won’t save his job, Evertonian’s aren’t stupid blowing smoke up their arses doesn’t or shouldn’t impress them winning games and points on the board is what we want. 

Disgusting press conference, I thought he felt sheepish but his defiance “who said that? Who?”  - laughing and joking.  Not a laughing matter, fuckin shit. 

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

.... the consensus by the majority that I’ve heard or read all say Garner should have played in the middle and Danjuma or Harrison wide right. If we don’t see that next Saturday with Gana on the bench ....

Just seeking some clarification here .....  Is one element of this emerging consensus that Gana will be on the bench?  Presumably moving Onana into the sitting DCM role?  

31 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Just seeking some clarification here .....  Is one element of this emerging consensus that Gana will be on the bench?  Presumably moving Onana into the sitting DCM role?  

Onana has been playing more of DCM role with Gana getting the opportunity to play slightly higher than Onana. To move Garner into a more central role either Onana, Doucoure, or Gana have to make way, it won’t be Onana so that leaves Doucoure or Gana I would suggest keeping Doucoure because he at least has the ability to score a goal while Gana hasn’t scored in over 40 plus games. But Dyche may choose to stay with the same midfield 3 he doesn’t seem to see it like a lot of others, but he can’t afford another home defeat to Bournemouth so we should a change in personnel and midfield strategy, after all he had to concede in his presser that Garner is a central midfielder and that would be his better position and the players favoured position, which makes all the more confusing that he plays him wide right and leaves 2 wide men in Danjuma and Harrison on the bench.  

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Onana has been playing more of DCM role with Gana getting the opportunity to play slightly higher than Onana. To move Garner into a more central role either Onana, Doucoure, or Gana have to make way, it won’t be Onana so that leaves Doucoure or Gana I would suggest keeping Doucoure because he at least has the ability to score a goal while Gana hasn’t scored in over 40 plus games. But Dyche may choose to stay with the same midfield 3 he doesn’t seem to see it like a lot of others, but he can’t afford another home defeat to Bournemouth so we should a change in personnel and midfield strategy, after all he had to concede in his presser that Garner is a central midfielder and that would be his better position and the players favoured position, which makes all the more confusing that he plays him wide right and leaves 2 wide men in Danjuma and Harrison on the bench.  

I agree it will be either Doucs or Gana who drop out - either I’m happy with as they both seriously limit us on the attacking side of things. Doucs yes has great numbers under Dyche but his general play kills us while Gana is great defensively but offers nothing much going forward.

A front 4 of the below will be our best technical team. (Danjuma could go in to either wing position as well)

Harrison             Garner              Mcneil 

DCL

6 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Yep. 

just read out of the last 65 games he’s won just 9.   In games where his side has had the most possession he has won just 1. 

Got forced in to making a change before the game but that team is pretty close to what we need to be seeing week in, week out. Theres more ups with this Dyche team than there have been under previous managers. A few young players in there as well so consistency is going to be the biggest hurdle but there looks to be enough quality in the good moments.

On 06/10/2023 at 02:54, Palfy said:

Well I feel I got it spot on and Dyche got fucking lucky that Gana injured himself.  

I think everyone needs to apologise to Matt and also to a point Bailey.

Played the exact same tactics he played against Luton. Almost got the exact same stats as we did against Luton, but like he pointed out….. one went on and we settle and gained confidence. 

Some just need to put on some Billy big boy pants and say “Ye… he was right” the game is about fine margins. 

Bailey goes on about this XG stuff and I’m too old fashioned to accept it sometimes. But what I have learnt is that XG means how many you SHOULD have scored. And like so many on here have said over and again… we’ve been creating chances that we should be converting. And yesterday we did. 

I don’t know if that’s something to do with the manager saying something different, the players gaining confidence from the gift of the first goal, or maybe even the players belief in themselves that they can turn this around.

But to be honest… I really don't care who takes the credit! 
I live my club and we won! We got three points and I’m going to swan around today like we’ve just won the champions league!!! 
COYBs!!!!

It was similar to Luton and Fulham/Wolves to a point but the big difference is Garner’s in the position where Gana has been and can take that chance and Harrison is a natural right midfielder and the quality was evident - better players in their natural positions means we’ll take more chances when presented. Gueye had a big chance at 0-0 vs Luton last week - had Garner been there, it could have been very different.

43 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Played the exact same tactics he played against Luton. Almost got the exact same stats as we did against Luton, but like he pointed out….. one went on and we settle and gained confidence. 

Some just need to put on some Billy big boy pants and say “Ye… he was right” the game is about fine margins. 

Bailey goes on about this XG stuff and I’m too old fashioned to accept it sometimes. But what I have learnt is that XG means how many you SHOULD have scored. And like so many on here have said over and again… we’ve been creating chances that we should be converting. And yesterday we did. 

I don’t know if that’s something to do with the manager saying something different, the players gaining confidence from the gift of the first goal, or maybe even the players belief in themselves that they can turn this around.

I live my club and we won! We got three points and I’m going to swan around today like we’ve just won the champions league!!! 
COYBs!!!!

What a load of bollocks!  🤣

the set up and style was totally different.  

the only thing that was the same was both teams we played were utter shite.  I’ve not seen 2 worse teams play at goodison in a long long time. 

I'm made up we got the win but ffs we went 1-0 up and for a sustained period Bournemouth had us penned in our penalty area. 

people need to recalibrate their expectations, it is actually normal to have chances and miss them, it doesn’t mean it is bad luck. It’s down to players not finishing well or good keepers playing well. 

we’ve played 2 awful teams. My main comfort from what I’ve seen in the past few weeks is that by January there will be Luton, sheff United and Bournemouth firmly rooted in the relegation zone.  We will be ok. 

xg is a load of shite btw. I manage data and stats and provide insights to senior management and xg isn’t something I would look at to tell a manager “it’s ok, you are just unlucky”.  Xg is something that you would expect politicians to use in a debate.  If you watch a game of footy you shouldn’t need xg, if you miss the game it may give you a clue as to how the game went - it’s not a measure of performance. 

40 minutes ago, Shukes said:

COYBs!!!!

The difference in this game from Luton was Garner playing central midfield and Harrison playing wide right, nothing to do with stats or XG all to do with playing players in their natural positions and playing players who have the ability to take their chances, I told you and told you that Garner should have been in Central midfield and Harrison wide right, I think the apology should come from Bailey and yourself too me and Haf for the constant Garner wasn’t good enough for centre mid he bossed it today exactly as he did against Villa. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

The difference in this game from Luton was Garner playing central midfield and Harrison playing wide right, nothing to do with stats or XG all to do with playing players in their natural positions and playing players who have the ability to take their chances, I told you and told you that Garner should have been in Central midfield and Harrison wide right, I think the apology should come from Bailey and yourself too me and Haf for the constant Garner wasn’t good enough for centre mid he bossed it today exactly as he did against Villa. 

Exactly. 

garner gave arguably the most complete midfield performance we’ve seen this season.  Irrelevant of the opposition- he did the same vs Villa. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

The difference in the game is that we converted our chances, not sure whats so hard to comprehend there. 25 chances, like Luton and not far off Fulham and Wolves in terms of possession etc. 

That's not to say we didn't look better with that changes and I tend to agree after Onana made me look silly. 

38 minutes ago, Matt said:

The difference in the game is that we converted our chances, not sure whats so hard to comprehend there. 25 chances, like Luton and not far off Fulham and Wolves in terms of possession etc. 

That's not to say we didn't look better with that changes and I tend to agree after Onana made me look silly. 

Chances mean nothing if they fall to people like Gana, but if you play the players with the ability to take chances, you can win a game with only 3-4 chances.  We scored 3 goals and didn’t need to rely on DCL that doesn’t happen with Harrison on the bench Garner wide right and Gana central midfield. 

16 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Chances mean nothing if they fall to people like Gana, but if you play the players with the ability to take chances, you can win a game with only 3-4 chances.  We scored 3 goals and didn’t need to rely on DCL that doesn’t happen with Harrison on the bench Garner wide right and Gana central midfield. 

So, what you're saying is the conversion improved too then. Oh good :)

Just now, Matt said:

Yes because of the reasons I gave, my problem with Dyche has been with his team selection and playing people in their best positions, without trying too make myself look like a know it all I believe yesterdays result proved what I’ve been saying was right, which was Garner in the centre of the midfield with Doucoure and Onana and Harrison wide right, don’t know what else to say really, bar yes taking your chances does win you games, but as simple as you make that sound it’s the ability of the players and where you play them that helps that to happen, and that’s where managers earn their crust Dyche got it right yesterday. But what’s annoying he got it right against Villa then broke that up for Luton and got it wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

So…. When your midfield consists of a player who literally can do nothing but break up play (which I’m not undervaluing) in Gana who gives the ball away a lot, and shoots into row z, and he is supplemented by another player in Onana who is good at breaking up play, but can pass but can’t shoot and furthermore has another midfielder who can run, can’t pass, and is hit and miss with finishing in doucs are you saying you don’t see that as midfield that doesn’t work?

personally I’ve had issues with this for weeks, as have many fans. This is compounded when we have our most technically competent and composed player in garner pushed out wide.  

This Everton team is not anywhere near as bad as the results we’ve had, that’s not because of bad luck - if you have good players in wrong positions and wrong systems then you win games only in spite of bad management.  Dyche is like many managers - stubborn. The difference is you need to be good to be stubborn or have a team strong enough to get points in spite of a shite set up. 

90% of managers make stupid choices, sadly far few of them are able to be humble enough to learn from them quickly enough.  Dyche got the sack from a club where he had huge credit built up, the reason was his stubbornness. Dropping Jack cork and not playing form players and sticking to his favourites. Burnley fans loved him but many had enough by the end. 

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

What a load of bollocks!  🤣

the set up and style was totally different.  

the only thing that was the same was both teams we played were utter shite.  I’ve not seen 2 worse teams play at goodison in a long long time. 

I'm made up we got the win but ffs we went 1-0 up and for a sustained period Bournemouth had us penned in our penalty area. 

people need to recalibrate their expectations, it is actually normal to have chances and miss them, it doesn’t mean it is bad luck. It’s down to players not finishing well or good keepers playing well. 

we’ve played 2 awful teams. My main comfort from what I’ve seen in the past few weeks is that by January there will be Luton, sheff United and Bournemouth firmly rooted in the relegation zone.  We will be ok. 

xg is a load of shite btw. I manage data and stats and provide insights to senior management and xg isn’t something I would look at to tell a manager “it’s ok, you are just unlucky”.  Xg is something that you would expect politicians to use in a debate.  If you watch a game of footy you shouldn’t need xg, if you miss the game it may give you a clue as to how the game went - it’s not a measure of performance. 

What an absolute load is shit you speak sometimes mate hahaha. You don’t manage stats at all that’s a load of shit. 

If you did you would know how important it is for analysis. I worked hard to learn OEE as an engineer mate and you can’t word play me like that. 

We played the same formation and style. The difference was that we swapped Gana with Garner and finished our first chance. Fans are saying it, commentators are saying it, pundits are saying, managers are saying it…. Difference is I’m big enough to admit it…. But you can’t admit that people are right sometimes. 

Fuck sake, take the win with Garner. He made a big difference and so did Harrison. Palfy above is half right. Putting players in their right positions is what it takes…. Not changing tactics. Most of Garners best work came from width. He was brilliant linking up with Harrison. 

Did you see Gana get a chance on the centre last week against Luton? If I need to I’ll link it. 
Did you see Garner get a similar chance yesterday? If needed I’ll link it.

Haf give it a rest. You don’t always need to be right.

Problem with you two is you seem to have this personal trait that needs to be right and no one else can ever prove you wrong. But your not a narcissist at all.

Fuck me, I even held my hands up and said Garner was excellent and made a massive difference. But I could also see…. Like 99% of the fucking country that ot was coming and it’s a fine line between scoring and missing. 

But as always 99% of the population of the universe is wrong 🙄 fuck my life haha. 

Too much?

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

Sorry mate I’m not the manager. It doesn’t matter what you tell me…. I can’t pick the team haha.

He did boss it. He was excellent. 

I care more about the team than my own ego mate. Never been more happier being wrong. Long may it continue. 

But Bailey and Matt were 100% right. 
So we’re you and Haf about giving Garner a chance there. 

I bow down to all of you. 
But for fuck sake all… put your Egos in the bin at the door and be happy we’ve won a game!

8 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Sorry mate I’m not the manager. It doesn’t matter what you tell me…. I can’t pick the team haha.

He did boss it. He was excellent. 

I care more about the team than my own ego mate. Never been more happier being wrong. Long may it continue. 

But Bailey and Matt were 100% right. 
So we’re you and Haf about giving Garner a chance there. 

I bow down to all of you. 
But for fuck sake all… put your Egos in the bin at the door and be happy we’ve won a game!

Nothing to do with ego’s on my part mate far from it. 

Just now, Palfy said:

Nothing to do with ego’s on my part mate far from it. 

Good to hear mate. 
Most important thing is that we won, got three points and actually looked like something may have clicked.

Trust me, I’m so happy with yesterday. I brought the place down when Garner scored. 

I thought he has been shit the majority of his time on the middle. I did t tho it eh Villa game was a massive win. I thought we played against mainly their second team that thought we were gone roll over. We shocked them and it would t happen in the league.

So to see Garner come out and prove me wrong was so great. Same with Onana. I thought he could never replace Gana. But he stepped up to the plate and knocked it out the park. The two I said could not be a central partnership, slapped me round the face with a big greasy fried egg. And I hate fried egg! 

But I loved every second of it.

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

So…. When your midfield consists of a player who literally can do nothing but break up play (which I’m not undervaluing) in Gana who gives the ball away a lot, and shoots into row z, and he is supplemented by another player in Onana who is good at breaking up play, but can pass but can’t shoot and furthermore has another midfielder who can run, can’t pass, and is hit and miss with finishing in doucs are you saying you don’t see that as midfield that doesn’t work?

personally I’ve had issues with this for weeks, as have many fans. This is compounded when we have our most technically competent and composed player in garner pushed out wide.  

This Everton team is not anywhere near as bad as the results we’ve had, that’s not because of bad luck - if you have good players in wrong positions and wrong systems then you win games only in spite of bad management.  Dyche is like many managers - stubborn. The difference is you need to be good to be stubborn or have a team strong enough to get points in spite of a shite set up. 

90% of managers make stupid choices, sadly far few of them are able to be humble enough to learn from them quickly enough.  Dyche got the sack from a club where he had huge credit built up, the reason was his stubbornness. Dropping Jack cork and not playing form players and sticking to his favourites. Burnley fans loved him but many had enough by the end. 

I'd just end up repeating myself and I largely agree with all that.

But do I think Garner being central had any impact on goal 2 or 3? No. For the first one of course, but I also think Gana makes that tackle and plays Doucs through for a 1 on 1.

Bottom line is we played well and we took our chances because of composure. That simple and what I've been banging on about since the Fulham game. 

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

Good to hear mate. 
Most important thing is that we won, got three points and actually looked like something may have clicked.

Trust me, I’m so happy with yesterday. I brought the place down when Garner scored. 

I thought he has been shit the majority of his time on the middle. I did t tho it eh Villa game was a massive win. I thought we played against mainly their second team that thought we were gone roll over. We shocked them and it would t happen in the league.

So to see Garner come out and prove me wrong was so great. Same with Onana. I thought he could never replace Gana. But he stepped up to the plate and knocked it out the park. The two I said could not be a central partnership, slapped me round the face with a big greasy fried egg. And I hate fried egg! 

But I loved every second of it.

Exactly mate we can debate argue and agree as much as we like for the benefit of TT, but what really matters is what happens for 90 minutes of football once or twice a week. But we still have to discuss otherwise we might as well all leave the forum unless you’re interested in other topics other than Everton. 3 goals and a clean sheet what’s not to love 💙