IGNORED

Newcastle 7th December 2024 (Home)

Matt

I was receiving text notifications about the score during business meetings I was attending yesterday in Dallas, and I couldn't believe the score going up and up. At the airport, I read everyone's comments with praise for the entire team. That's so encouraging after all the negativity surrounding Young and Beto, both of whom appeared to play well yesterday. I hope this puts an end to the OTT criticism faced by these players. The truth is that both are contributing to our winning run. Well done to them and to everyone on the team.

39 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Had a look at a Newcastle forum last night, just animals if that's anything to go by. We get a bit of opposition abuse on here sure but this was different level, constant neanderthal sick crap on virtually every single post....no football analysis at all, just a stream of bile. Shameful.

Could say that about Blue Kipper

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Had a look at a Newcastle forum last night, just animals if that's anything to go by. We get a bit of opposition abuse on here sure but this was different level, constant neanderthal sick crap on virtually every single post....no football analysis at all, just a stream of bile. Shameful.

Give us the link so we can all see it please

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

3 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Not surprised in the least

Definitely not a surprise. I've always strongly disliked their fans, they're a horrible lot.

Edit - they're like our lovely friends from across the park, just without the trophies to back up their ego.

12 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I was receiving text notifications about the score during business meetings I was attending yesterday in Dallas, and I couldn't believe the score going up and up. At the airport, I read everyone's comments with praise for the entire team. That's so encouraging after all the negativity surrounding Young and Beto, both of whom appeared to play well yesterday. I hope this puts an end to the OTT criticism faced by these players. The truth is that both are contributing to our winning run. Well done to them and to everyone on the team.

Beto only just contributed..prior to that we won in spite of his performance. And I'm not judging him only on goals.

One good game doesn't mean he wasn't poor before....if they have a bad game, we are entitled to say it. Conversely, If they have a good game they should get praise.....

8 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

Beto only just contributed..prior to that we won in spite of his performance. And I'm not judging him only on goals.

One good game doesn't mean he wasn't poor before....if they have a bad game, we are entitled to say it. Conversely, If they have a good game they should get praise.....

I didn't write that players should face "no criticism", just not "OTT criticism". It was getting to the point where Young and Beto were being pilloried in every other message. DC-L missed a sitter on Thursday, no less than the opportunity Beto missed last weekend, but is DC-L being criticised endlessly? No. Young played a different position on Thursday, and played it well, so does he deserve, in virtually every message, to be ridiculed and demeaned? No.

I agree that no player should be immune from criticism, but it gets a little tiresome to read message after message that goes over the top.

Just my opinion.

21 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I didn't write that players should face "no criticism", just not "OTT criticism". It was getting to the point where Young and Beto were being pilloried in every other message. DC-L missed a sitter on Thursday, no less than the opportunity Beto missed last weekend, but is DC-L being criticised endlessly? No. Young played a different position on Thursday, and played it well, so does he deserve, in virtually every message, to be ridiculed and demeaned? No.

I agree that no player should be immune from criticism, but it gets a little tiresome to read message after message that goes over the top.

Just my opinion.

No one pilloried Beto for his miss, they pilloried him for hiding and not working vs forest. 

the reaction to dcl miss was no different to betos.  

I will repeat for the 1millionth time….. my main criteria for strikers is to lead the line first and foremost. 

33 minutes ago, Gwlad said:

DCL failed at 3 or 4 opportunities. I won't slam him, he had a go. Dwight scored 2nd in 2 games, Doucs blasted one in and Beto broke his duck. We won 3-0 so a lot to be confident about. 

DCLs goals are a bonus for me. 90% of what he does is work and challenge. He's the polar opposite to Lukaku, who was 90% goals, but I love them both for what they bring/brought to the team 

So do you go with Beto or DCL tomorrow I feel Dom needs to go on the Mykolenko diet the centre backs just seem to brush him aside. 
maybe Beto needs to start and see how he does first half even though he’s not as Good as Dom. 
I just feel Dom has struggled in the last few games he might do better off the bench. 

24 minutes ago, patto said:

So do you go with Beto or DCL tomorrow I feel Dom needs to go on the Mykolenko diet the centre backs just seem to brush him aside. 
maybe Beto needs to start and see how he does first half even though he’s not as Good as Dom. 
I just feel Dom has struggled in the last few games he might do better off the bench. 

Dcl.  His workrate is immense. Lost some muscle in order to get fit

41 minutes ago, patto said:

You need to start with DCL he softens defenders up by working them into the ground, he pulls them all the pitch which creates space for others to take advantage of. If he’s fit he must start no one in the team is able to replace what he offers in the first 70 minutes of a game, not even Beto is any where near him at this moment in time. 

1 hour ago, patto said:

It has to be DC-L, no question - unless, of course, there's a fitness or potential injury issue. We'll need him fully fit during the holiday period.

Having now watched the entire game, a few things stand out:

1) Our constant hustling makes a huge difference. I don't know how many times we won the ball back that way, often deflecting a pass that ended up in our possession. This has suddenly become a team characteristic.

2) Fitness is clearly another important and related factor. It's no coincidence that we scored three times after 80 minutes; Newcastle just couldn't keep up with our undiminished energy.

3) McNeil and Harrison work really well together and are going to become an increasingly important factor as the season progresses. Both were like Energizer bunnies who never give up.

4) Our crosses are becoming ever more dangerous, especially McNeil but also Harrison and Young.

5) Yes, Seamus was captain for the day, but Tarkowski plays and acts like a real captain. His block in the second half was amazing: so decisive and all-in, right in the centre of the penalty box.

6) Pickford is enjoying himself, and it's giving him that extra edge. He makes excellent use of space and isn't afraid to wander outside the box.

7) The one thing that concerned me a little were the number of passes back to Pickford, a couple of which seemed under-hit. Also, it seems to me that a Newcastle player could have been hidden from sight and could have taken advantage. I may be making an issue of nothing, though.

Overall, this was an excellent win. We don't need out-and-out top players to win when our discipline and tactical nous are top-notch and we play as a team of players who appear to understand one another well.

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

DCL had the Newcastle defenders rattled on Thursday. No idea why anyone would think he’s struggling in that regard. 

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

DCL had the Newcastle defenders rattled on Thursday. No idea why anyone would think he’s struggling in that regard. 

When I say he’s struggling I mean taking his chances he must have had at least six chances and not buried 1 his timing seems to be out even on his heading. 
hope he scores a hatrick tomorrow though as I know he will play  

16 minutes ago, patto said:

When I say he’s struggling I mean taking his chances he must have had at least six chances and not buried 1 his timing seems to be out even on his heading. 
hope he scores a hatrick tomorrow though as I know he will play  

You said defenders are brushing him aside and he needs to go on the Mykolenko diet. Defenders definitely were not brushing him aside on Thursday.