IGNORED

Palace 19th Feb (home)

Matt

Proper poor tonight.

I think we all knew we'd hit a poor run at some point, this one is going on a bit longer than we feel comfortable with!

I think we have to remember there's a unique pressure around the place.

The 10 points off puts us in a pressured position that we wouldn't otherwise be in.

Its hard, but we have to remember where we should be. And that we have been good enough to be there.

Was never going to be an easy ride.

15 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

Proper poor tonight.

I think we all knew we'd hit a poor run at some point, this one is going on a bit longer than we feel comfortable with!

I think we have to remember there's a unique pressure around the place.

The 10 points off puts us in a pressured position that we wouldn't otherwise be in.

Its hard, but we have to remember where we should be. And that we have been good enough to be there.

Was never going to be an easy ride.

I need help to understand how Ashley young as a right winger is even a consideration?

we can talk about pressures.... the manager setting us up negatively isn't a good start 

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I need help to understand how Ashley young as a right winger is even a consideration?

we can talk about pressures.... the manager setting us up negatively isn't a good start 

I give up guessing why managers do what they do a long time ago.

The points you are making are right. As are mine, so 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Problem is, Harrison has been...how do I put this nicely...dogshit, for the last however many games. 

And because of our lack of depth, didn't really have many other options. Maybe play Dobbin? 

I'm going to go on a rant now because I need to vent or I will lose my fucking mind. So if you don't want to read the ramblings of a very angry man after that monstrosity of a performance just skip ahead you tart.

Dyche had the perfect opportunity to send us out to play on the front foot tonight with Palace missing their two creative players, their best CB and their Doucoure. Did he? Did he like fucking shite. Palace were there for the taking and we should have been going at them but there was fuck all intent, fuck all tempo, fuck all width, fuck all movement, fuck all creativity, fuck all pace. It was insipid fucking shite. Towards the end of the game he was going mad at the players telling them to push forward and attack - send them out there to do that from the fucking start!

I was going off my fucking head in the Lower Gwladys at what I was seeing. Screaming at the players to move into space to receive the ball instead of just standing there like fucking statues. The midfield was maddening for how static it was. Which then meant the defenders and keeper had to go long and then you get angry with them for going long, when it's not really their fault.

Zero creativity through the middle so we need to have great width and the ability to beat the man out wide and then whip the ball into the box, preferably early. We fuck about passing it sideways (and at a snails pace as well) so the opposition could get into a good shape. That wouldn't be such a problem if you then had players out wide that are pacy and/or can beat their man. What did we have? Oh yes, down the right we had a CB playing at RB in Godfrey and a 38 year old Ashley Young. That was as bad a combination as you could possibly get in terms of attacking threat. If you play Godfrey at RB then the RM has to just not be Ashley fucking Young. And if you want Ashley Young to play RM then the RB behind him has to actually be a right back! Then down the left we had Mykolenko, who isn't exactly known for his attacking threat, and McNeil who is so slow I think I could beat him in a foot race starting from the stands and his one-footedness means that most of his passes have to go backwards!

Pickford - A few lovely forward balls from him but just as many that made me say "fuck off".

Godfrey - His Forrest Gump impression is great until he has to do something at the end of the run. And his defending at right back is honestly fucking terrifying to watch - it's like he forgets what position he's playing and constantly drifts into the centre and leaves his man all on his own.

Tarkowski - He was Tarkowski really - won plenty of headers, played some decent balls forward and also played some to absolutely no one.

Branthwaite - I thought he looked very uncomfortable all game and he got bullied by Mateta - highlighted by their goal. At one point he clearly tells Tarkowski to leave a ball and then he leaves it himself as well and Palace get the ball. Not a good night for him at all.

Mykolenko - Not much to praise or criticise with him tbh.

Young - The effort was there but the body was on life support.

Garner - Really not his best game tonight. Too much sideways and backwards passing, not enough bravery to get on the ball, turn and go forward.

Gueye - For my own fucking sanity someone tell him to stop fucking shooting or I'm going to hurt someone!

McNeil - Cut his right foot off, he can't use it anyway. I'd love him to stop just standing still whenever Mykolenko has the ball. MOVE! And it's all good and well him being able to put a good corner in but we need him to do more from open play. We're carrying him.

Doucoure - Anonymous. Apart from on two occasions - when we had the ball in Palace's half and he inexplicably decided to smash the ball back into our half and sent Palace away, and then another when he'd got in front of a Palace player to shield the ball and then just randomly decided to step out of the way and let them have the ball.

DCL - Should have done better with his headed chances. I can forgive the first half chance as it looked like Andersen leans into him as he's about to head it but the one in the second half I really think is poor. I also felt a bit sorry for him because at times he was having to chase his own flick ons.

30 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm going to go on a rant now because I need to vent or I will lose my fucking mind. So if you don't want to read the ramblings of a very angry man after that monstrosity of a performance just skip ahead you tart.

Dyche had the perfect opportunity to send us out to play on the front foot tonight with Palace missing their two creative players, their best CB and their Doucoure. Did he? Did he like fucking shite. Palace were there for the taking and we should have been going at them but there was fuck all intent, fuck all tempo, fuck all width, fuck all movement, fuck all creativity, fuck all pace. It was insipid fucking shite. Towards the end of the game he was going mad at the players telling them to push forward and attack - send them out there to do that from the fucking start!

I was going off my fucking head in the Lower Gwladys at what I was seeing. Screaming at the players to move into space to receive the ball instead of just standing there like fucking statues. The midfield was maddening for how static it was. Which then meant the defenders and keeper had to go long and then you get angry with them for going long, when it's not really their fault.

Zero creativity through the middle so we need to have great width and the ability to beat the man out wide and then whip the ball into the box, preferably early. We fuck about passing it sideways (and at a snails pace as well) so the opposition could get into a good shape. That wouldn't be such a problem if you then had players out wide that are pacy and/or can beat their man. What did we have? Oh yes, down the right we had a CB playing at RB in Godfrey and a 38 year old Ashley Young. That was as bad a combination as you could possibly get in terms of attacking threat. If you play Godfrey at RB then the RM has to not just not be Ashley fucking Young. And if you want Ashley Young to play RM then the RB behind him has to actually be a right back! Then down the left we had Mykolenko, who isn't exactly known for his attacking threat, and McNeil who is so slow I think I could beat him in a foot race starting from the stands and his one-footedness means that most of his passes have to go backwards!

Pickford - A few lovely forward balls from him but just as many that made me say "fuck off".

Godfrey - His Forrest Gump impression is great until he has to do something at the end of the run. And his defending at right back is honestly fucking terrifying to watch - it's like he forgets what position he's playing and constantly drifts into the centre and leaves his many all on his own.

Tarkowski - He was Tarkowski really - won plenty of headers, played some decent balls forward and also played some to absolutely no one.

Branthwaite - I thought he looked very uncomfortable all game and he got bullied by Mateta - highlighted by their goal. At one point he clearly tells Tarkowski to leave a ball and then he leaves it himself as well and Palace get the ball. Not a good night for him at all.

Mykolenko - Not much to praise or criticise with him tbh.

Young - The effort was there but the body was on life support.

Garner - Really not his best game tonight. Too much sideways and backwards passing, not enough bravery to get on the ball, turn and go forward.

Gueye - For my own fucking sanity someone tell him to stop fucking shooting or I'm going to hurt someone!

McNeil - Cut his right foot off, he can't use it anyway. I'd love him to stop just standing still whenever Mykolenko has the ball. MOVE! And it's all good and well him being able to put a good corner in but we need him to do more from open play. We're carrying him.

Doucoure - Anonymous. Apart from on two occasions - when we had the ball in Palace's half and he inexplicably decided to smash the ball back into our half and sent Palace away, and then another when he'd got in front of a Palace player to shield the ball and then just randomly decided to step out of the way and let them have the ball.

DCL - Should have done better with his headed chances. I can forgive the first half chance as it looked like Andersen leans into him as he's about to head it but the one in the second half I really think is poor. I also felt a bit sorry for him because at times he was having to chase his own flick ons.

Agree with your rant and player reviews - bar Myko to a degree, I thought he was good & simply got no support from McNeil as you mentioned.

Clearly not our best day today but we should have walked out with 3 points, given some of the chances we had. Far too often the story & this stage of season it’s no comfort to say, we need to be getting the points plain & simple.

Ashley Young - I understand Harrison getting dropped. We have all called for it but not for Ashley Young & absolutely not in that role / team set up. The squad is thin yes but Harrison (even in his form) was the better choice & if he didn’t perform then hopefully Danjuma is fit for the next one.

Onana showed in his 30 minutes what he can bring. Composure. I feel Garner benefits massively from having along side him also. No dig at Gana as I don’t feel he has played badly but we need to use him in the right games - at home to dogshit palace is not that game.

8 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Young shouldn't even be playing at all. He's finished, had his career, time to stop. Nothing to build on there. Dyche should know better.

• Everton have scored 10 goals in the Premier League this season from corners – only Arsenal (11) have scored more.

• Dominic Calvert-Lewin has had more shots (16) and has the highest xG total (2.16) of any player who is yet to score a Premier League goal in 2024.

• Everton are without a victory in their past eight league matches (D4 L4) since a four-game winning run in December. It’s their longest winless run since failing to win any of their past eight games under Frank Lampard (October 2022 – January 2023).

9 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

I need to go and check Beto in Serie A and see who he scored his goals against (Empoli, Monza, Salernitana etc). I know the league is poor these days but can't have been scoring against the better teams...he looks like a baby giraffe running around...lots of effort but no composure. 

I must admit the more I see of him the less convinced I am he will make an impression in the PL. Which is a shame as he tries hard and puts himself about.

9 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Problem is, Harrison has been...how do I put this nicely...dogshit, for the last however many games. 

And because of our lack of depth, didn't really have many other options. Maybe play Dobbin? 

Harrison on his worst day gives us more than young. He was atrocious and should have been off before half time. 

dobbin...there's an idea, a lad with pace and hunger. 

7 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Harrison on his worst day gives us more than young. He was atrocious and should have been off before half time. 

dobbin...there's an idea, a lad with pace and hunger. 

I've been very frustrated with Harrison for a while but he definitely should have played last night because he can still give you more than Young.

Dobbin was about to come on when we equalised and then instantly was told to sit down again. If the manager felt that the players out there weren't good enough at 1-0 down and that Dobbin could make a difference then an equaliser shouldn't have changed anything, we still had over 10 minutes to try and win the game.

51 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've been very frustrated with Harrison for a while but he definitely should have played last night because he can still give you more than Young.

Dobbin was about to come on when we equalised and then instantly was told to sit down again. If the manager felt that the players out there weren't good enough at 1-0 down and that Dobbin could make a difference then an equaliser shouldn't have changed anything, we still had over 10 minutes to try and win the game.

Dyche is a clone of Moyes. Some people think that's ok.... I don't, it's death by a thousand cuts. 

Dyche has his "Johnny heitinga in midfield" in "Ashley young at right mid" .

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:
  • Everton have scored 10 goals in the Premier League this season from corners – only Arsenal (11) have scored more.

• Dominic Calvert-Lewin has had more shots (16) and has the highest xG total (2.16) of any player who is yet to score a Premier League goal in 2024.

• Everton are without a victory in their past eight league matches (D4 L4) since a four-game winning run in December. It’s their longest winless run since failing to win any of their past eight games under Frank Lampard (October 2022 – January 2023).

It is so so furstrating to see DCL back on the pitch after best part of two season with injury problems, only for him to have somehow totally lost the ability to put the ball in the back of the net. Unfortunately, him missing some very good chances is one of the main reasons we have not been able to get a win or two in the run of eight games. I hope he finds some for soon!! I think DCL (or other striker) scoring two or three goals over the past 8 games would have impacted the other two stats. 

DCL fit and a back up striker or two in the building - but still no goal scorer. 

Young and Harrison are just not at this level. Harrison look a like Davies used to… runs a lot, works hard…. But absolutely no quality. 
Young has obviously a football brain on him, but his body just doesn’t seem to know how to link up with it. Past it and needs to look into coaching or deliveries.