IGNORED

Youth Development

Just been reflecting on this...

Didn't Martinez try and sign John Stones when he was at Wigan?!

Correct. I imagine having the technical ability and speed to play at RB as he does currently, while possessing the height and skill set to eventually move into the centre of defence appealed. Probably would have fit into the right side of Wigan's back three nicely.

Apparently Stones is a centre half and could be a superstar in the making in that position. I don't think its coincidence that a few youth players have signed pro contracts. I think Bobby has been talking a lot to Sheeds,Dunc and Stubbsy and identifying who deserves the chance. I liked the way the shite played a lot of unknown kids and a lot of them shone I can see Bobby doing that straight away. Really feel if Bobby was here last year he would have signed the English lad at centre back who was on loan from Portugal who has just broke into Lisbons team.

Apparently Stones is a centre half and could be a superstar in the making in that position. I don't think its coincidence that a few youth players have signed pro contracts. I think Bobby has been talking a lot to Sheeds,Dunc and Stubbsy and identifying who deserves the chance. I liked the way the shite played a lot of unknown kids and a lot of them shone I can see Bobby doing that straight away. Really feel if Bobby was here last year he would have signed the English lad at centre back who was on loan from Portugal who has just broke into Lisbons team.

Dier? That was definitely a weird one. Loaned him in twice but didn't see him play??

We wanted to sign Dier on a permanent, but he didn't want to sign because he would get first team opportunities back at Sporting Lisbon.

Dier? That was definitely a weird one. Loaned him in twice but didn't see him play??

i watched him for England u20s a few times and a few highlights for us, to be honest he never stood out, mkore of an old fashioned centre half and i wouldnt see him in an RM team. pretty much on a level with Duffy but without the arial power.

Though he did strike a nice freekick for England onto the crossbar!

• 2 months later...

Youth development is a very murky subject and I was listening to Glenn "I kicked a ball against a wall" Hoddle an hour or so ago on my drive into work.

He's been brought into the FA taskforce headed by Greg Dyke.

My word does that fella love himself... He repeated the fact that he used to spend hours kicking a ball against a wall and that kids don't do that any more... in other words "I was great, I kicked a ball against a wall, do it" - yes glenn you were great, you knew you were great and you spent your time as england manager telling everyone that you were great. Didn't you once tell beckham he lacked the techinique to execute a certain free kick which he was doing over and over again???

Anyways - chocolate hoddle aside I believe the issue lies at primary school level and certainly first 2 years of secondary school.

I have a nephew - who's dad (my brother) was an exceptionally talented sportsman, represented the county at 3 sports and boxed to a very good level - but football was where he should have made it (told he was too small - early 80's nonsense). His son of 9 years old has the same characteristics, fast, balanced, strong, amazing co-ordination - is he getting schooled at sports? nope. Nothing. He isn't even interested, but when he has a game to play - he excells.

I'm not saying that he will be a great player but the fact that he is not getting coaching and is reliant on his dad taking him to a park (as he lives on a busy road) - that is where we are missing a chunk of talent.

Throw in the fact that more and more junior teams are struggling to pay extortionate pitch fees - they need £40 a pop, need to pacify more players, kids get 20 minutes etc etc, can't afford indoor training in winter months etc.

The US has come along in the last few years because so many young people play organized football. Drive around any Saturday, between 8 and 6, and you'll see game after game being played. In the local YMCA league in which my children played, over 3,000 young people were playing in football leagues - from the under-6s to the under-18s. And there are least two other leagues in the area. Those who play well are recruited by premier teams, and the best of those move to classic teams - which travel considerable distances most weekends to play strong opposition. Scouts from some of the universities with top football teams come to watch these games and offer sizable sports scholarships to the very best. Then there are the football tournaments and summer camps - including extensive week-long events at many universities. Many many parents take the time needed to become certified coaches, and there's plenty of material and advice about which skills to develop and when in a player's development.

Now compare this with what was on offer for me, growing up in Cornwall and playing football for hours every day. There was a team at primary school, and we played maybe ten games a year. There was no team at comprehensive school. There was no team at university. There was no organized league anywhere local (we played pickup games, shirts versus skins, every Saturday). There were no training sessions or summer camps. There weren't many playing fields, and even those available weren't maintained. When we couldn't afford a real football, we played with tennis balls on the street. All of us dreamed of playing football for the big teams, but no one had a clue how to approach them. For us, the only team in the area was up in Plymouth. We heard that your dad had to know someone there to have any hope of catching their eye.

Now I'm sure it's a little different today, although, when I visit Britain, I still don't see evidence of any leagues or other organized football events. Maybe they happen in the big cities up country, but they don't appear to exist in the southwest. So why are we surprised that England has such a poor footballing track record? There's a lot of talent around, a lot of eager young people, but where do they go to play? Where's the organization from top to bottom? Compared with other countries, we must have some of the best talent yet have maybe the worst record of developing that talent.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

so excited about ledson

Best part of being a football fan for me. Watching a player like Barkley and Stones at times this season showing the development has been great... then to hear about more coming through knowing full well that we now have a manager who is looking to accelerate that development with his methods that have seen the likes of McCarthy become the player he is and the likes of McManaman recover his career is ace.

I think that we have 4 who will be in and around the first team to make the odd appearance next season.. Browning, Garbutt, Ledson, McAleny. What games and how long they will get is anyones guess but lets be honest, did anyone see Stones becoming so assured in his first proper season? Thats the exciting part of it all, plus we have George Green who everyone has high hopes for.

Best part of being a football fan for me. Watching a player like Barkley and Stones at times this season showing the development has been great... then to hear about more coming through knowing full well that we now have a manager who is looking to accelerate that development with his methods that have seen the likes of McCarthy become the player he is and the likes of McManaman recover his career is ace.

I think that we have 4 who will be in and around the first team to make the odd appearance next season.. Browning, Garbutt, Ledson, McAleny. What games and how long they will get is anyones guess but lets be honest, did anyone see Stones becoming so assured in his first proper season? Thats the exciting part of it all, plus we have George Green who everyone has high hopes for.

nothin quite like seein one of your own clubs players become great...so much more satisfying than just buying a superstar..we seem to have our own golden generation at the moment..obviously not in the same likes as utd did but it's great to see

nothin quite like seein one of your own clubs players become great...so much more satisfying than just buying a superstar..we seem to have our own golden generation at the moment..obviously not in the same likes as utd did but it's great to see

You just hope they all bond, become good mates, and share a "journey" together. Thats what happened with the united lot.

I'm sure Barnsley fans are watching our games with some pride seeing how Stones is looking, and so they should. Its easier to do that than it is us seeing Rooney go to United and hit spectacular goals. They in all reality knew that its difficult to get top dollar for a player in a lower league than the prem.