IGNORED

Youth Development

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

And why wouldn't you want Martinez as a manger, if you were an up and coming English talent? He's got it spot on. Love his attitude.

The type of players i'd like us to go for!

I bet attracting them wouldn't be an issue, it'll be the premium they cost. £32m for Shaw at present!!

And why wouldn't you want Martinez as a manger, if you were an up and coming English talent? He's got it spot on. Love his attitude.

The type of players i'd like us to go for!

I bet attracting them wouldn't be an issue, it'll be the premium they cost. £32m for Shaw at present!!

I read 40m this morning!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2666337/Luke-Shaws-40m-price-tag-rocks-Manchester-United-Southampton-bid-England-ace.html

Guest blueboy122

Worlds gone mad.

Shaw has had a good solid season and his first full season as a pro.

The money being thrown round is ridiculous.

Although Bale started off as a young left-back at Soton and look at his value now.

But the reality is if Soton don't really want to sell then they're well within their rights to charge ludicrous amounts for the lad, and I think that's what's going on here.

Although Bale started off as a young left-back at Soton and look at his value now.

But the reality is if Soton don't really want to sell then they're well within their rights to charge ludicrous amounts for the lad, and I think that's what's going on here.

Im pretty sure 20 years ago you could just say "not for sale at any price" and that was the end of it. Might even still be the case, but teams putting stupid transfer fees on players isnt for that, its to say "just in case you're stupid enough, give us this".

There is quite a vast difference between Shaw and Bale though at that age. Not to mention that Shaw has never really suggested that he can play in an attacking position. He has played LM for Soton a couple of times and looked uncomfortable to me. If Bale was still just a LB there is no way he would be worth quarter of what Madrid paid.

There is quite a vast difference between Shaw and Bale though at that age. Not to mention that Shaw has never really suggested that he can play in an attacking position. He has played LM for Soton a couple of times and looked uncomfortable to me. If Bale was still just a LB there is no way he would be worth quarter of what Madrid paid.

This precisely. Bale and Shaw are completely different players.

My memory isnt great but I remember Bale looking good at LB, less so at LW then excellent in the centre.

Shaw has shown he can attack plenty of times for me, but his strength is similar to Baines; run at then 1-2 running past.

Dont agree at all with the transfer fee (though understand Southampton saying that) but Shaw will be a quality, quality player.

Guest blueboy122

Completely agree. What do you value a young player whos had a solid season at?

Completely agree. What do you value a young player whos had a solid season at?

Good question Matt.

In my mind £1-3M

In reality I think

£3-8M is fair but still excessive.

£30M is beyond my comprehension for a young lad with a first full season under his belt. Players only need to have one solid season and there being valued at £30M it's ludicrous.

On the basis of these transfer fee's surely I have got to be worth £5M......

Guest blueboy122

There's no positives for anyone with transfer fees like this.

Our young players feel to much pressure.

They are vastly over paid and lose a lot of motivation.

Inflates the market for everyone and almost becomes impossible for clubs like us to strengthen.

Every English player has an extra £££ on top purely because there English clubs won't pay what the seller wants because ability doesn't reflect price just reflects that they are English and are professional footballers thus enabling that player not being able to continue development even when he's not playing at his current club.

Madness.

Guest blueboy122

Also it isn't even good for Southampton. Every players value that there after has now doubled because that club knows Southampton have a pot of money and could end up playing way over the odds for average players.

My memory isnt great but I remember Bale looking good at LB, less so at LW then excellent in the centre.

Shaw has shown he can attack plenty of times for me, but his strength is similar to Baines; run at then 1-2 running past.

Dont agree at all with the transfer fee (though understand Southampton saying that) but Shaw will be a quality, quality player.

I dont doubt that Shaw will be a very good player, he certainly has the potential but how much better is he really going to be than someone like Clyne or Chambers who were playing RB for Soton. When he played Soton, Clyne was immense and Shaw was forgettable. There is no value in the Shaw transfer whatsoever and its a bit of a middle finger to the FFP regulations.

If I had the choice of the Baines at Wigan in the prem (im guessing 22-24) or Shaw now, I would still take Baines everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy that we will see some players coming through.

However this is not a transitional season. That was last year. I just hope that all the talk of youngsters getting a chance isn't a reflection of how many players we are likely to bring in.

We need players with experience and quality if we are going to be blooding youth.

It needs to be determined whether Duffy is good enough... If he is, we either need to 1. get him actual playing time this year, 2. Loan him out to a PL club (a Championship loan won't do it frankly)... If he isn't, he should be sold or loaned out until his contract expires in May (I believe he has one year left).

*Edit* It will be interesting to see how Garbutt, Ty Browning could get involved, even if they are determined to be good enough given that Garbutt is our third choice left back (a position that doesn't really need to be rotated... Frankly, we could struggle to get Oviedo enough time, much less Garbs), and Browning given that he's behind Coleman at rightback and 4-5 other players at centerback.

Edited by Quinn31

It needs to be determined whether Duffy is good enough... If he is, we either need to 1. get him actual playing time this year, 2. Loan him out to a PL club (a Championship loan won't do it frankly)... If he isn't, he should be sold or loaned out until his contract expires in May (I believe he has one year left).

*Edit* It will be interesting to see how Garbutt, Ty Browning could get involved, even if they are determined to be good enough given that Garbutt is our third choice left back (a position that doesn't really need to be rotated... Frankly, we could struggle to get Oviedo enough time, much less Garbs), and Browning given that he's behind Coleman at rightback and 4-5 other players at centerback.

i think they'll all see time in the domestic cup competitions. league cup and FA cup first 2 matches or so against pub league sides we can probably rest the starters and have browning and garbutt play. i doubt we want another oviedo leg break in some worthless league cup match again. put the youngsters in until we play some real competition.