IGNORED

Would Fellaini fit in our team today?

Yes, he would be a starter, remember him against city where he took the piss against Bellamy? His display that day was one of dominance. He has a good engine, good tackler, passing is ok I guess, good footballing brain, good defensively at set pieces as well as attacking them. Needs to be at a constant level really which was not often for us, 2 games were fantastic then two games, well average I guess. Anyone has the MoM stats for him over the years, that will tell it's own story. Strange we were always linked with McCarthy and hardly anyone else? While Felli was always linked with a ''top four'' club? And yes he would fit in with our new style of play.

I'm just thinking that our style of play is quite different now, and Fellaini, to some extent, represented the old style. I'm just wondering whether he would have adapted quite as well as other players.

Not a strong argument that....howard, baines, jags, distin, coleman, miralles, pienaar, osman...and the rest...have had to adjust. Cant see why Fellaini would struggle. And I say that because I thought the same at first!!!

He's a good player...would have been ace either in Barrys place or alongside Barry.

If Fellaini was still a member of the Everton squad, where would he fit in the team? Would he even be a starter?

No goddamn surprise, and being quick, of course the player could still be accomodated. Others have mentioned no regrets about his departure and the club brought in a good profit from the sale from what initially paid. Simply wasn't able to replicate his previous performances towards the end of his career at this club and even now, hasn't featured at all prominent with his new employers. Maybe he wouldn't necessarily get a starting place now, but would still be a valuable commodity but even then would he fit in with Martinez' style of management ? As Fellaini is no longer our business any subsequent talk would seem immaterial. Yes he could fit in the team, No I don't think as an automatic selection, and No, wouldn't want his return (either).

He was probably the one player who optimised the old regime, after Cahill left anyway.

I loved him when he was here, but McCarthy looks twice the player in this system.

Felli has never played in a squad indie RM so I wouldn't say McCarthy is twice the player. That's not meant to disrespect JM by the way! I'm just saying it's like comparing apples and pizza.

Felli took a while to adapt Moyes' style, still not sure he ever did to be honest, because he was constantly played out of position. I think under RM he would go on to fulfill the potential which was always clearly there. Still, it's a moot point as he won't come back.

He would be an asset to most clubs however would I pick him over McCarthy, Barry or Barkley??? The answer is no.

It's not bitterness, it's a case of understanding his attributes versus the model that Martinez has built.

For me he lacks the mobility, passing range and discipline to be a part of the new look Everton. At times under Moyes he looked a £50m player, but that was because we set up to his strengths.

Felli has never played in a squad indie RM so I wouldn't say McCarthy is twice the player. That's not meant to disrespect JM by the way! I'm just saying it's like comparing apples and pizza.

Felli took a while to adapt Moyes' style, still not sure he ever did to be honest, because he was constantly played out of position. I think under RM he would go on to fulfill the potential which was always clearly there. Still, it's a moot point as he won't come back.

I get your point Matt. Maybe twice as good was the wrong way to put it. We saw the best of Fellaini probably in the game against City where he dominated from deep, and United where he dominated from the front. But these performances were few and far between. From 6/10 to 9/10 game by game.

In terms of McCarthy, I don't think I've seen him get lower than 7/10, but consistently game after game his standards stay high. I don't think we would ever have got that kind of consistency from Fellaini. But we got £27m, and I think we are all very happy with that.

He would be an asset to most clubs however would I pick him over McCarthy, Barry or Barkley??? The answer is no.

It's not bitterness, it's a case of understanding his attributes versus the model that Martinez has built.

For me he lacks the mobility, passing range and discipline to be a part of the new look Everton. At times under Moyes he looked a £50m player, but that was because we set up to his strengths.

agree with most of that, but passing range is a harsh criticism. Last season, his link up play with the wingers and FBs was great, he was always there completing the triangle.

Again, he's not really played in a possession based, passing team like we have now (though we did have some great passing games under Moyes too). I think he would comfortably work in the team, but like you said not ahead of our central 3 at the moment.

No he wouldn't....

I would rather have Barry playing the Fellaini and McCarthy is our most consistent player. Fellaini when he was at Everton he wasn't consistent enough. Some games he could be unplayable.....other times it looked like he couldn't play football....

Barry and McCarthy are both more consistent I think anyway.

• 2 months later...

Happily have him back. Imagine how much better he'd be at sweeping up at the back if Barry coaches him along with RM.

I'd rather just keep the money in our pocket. Obviously we wouldn't be paying £27.5m for him but he'd still cost us more than we originally paid for him. It's just not worth it and neither is he.

Martinez was always happy to get shut of him, there's a reason for that.

I'd rather just keep the money in our pocket. Obviously we wouldn't be paying £27.5m for him but he'd still cost us more than we originally paid for him. It's just not worth it and neither is he.

Martinez was always happy to get shut of him, there's a reason for that.

So he could buy McCarthy and have cash to find a striker. Which in the bigger picture was the smart thing to do.

But if he's available at a good price we should be in for him. One of the best DM's I've saw, if we had Felli sitting, McCarthy running and Barkley behind the striker Everton would be up there with most midfields in the world. If Barkley's defensive ability improves they could all swap positions temporarily during the game so we could play more towards total football as well.

Edited by pete0