IGNORED

Newcastle (Home) Wednesday February 3

markjazzbassist

Less than a week away now from this League match, must win if you ask me. Relegation team will be fighting but it's a home match, we should get all 3 points. Strongest 11 we have available for me. Really don't want to see Ossie or Pienaar in there on the left while Kev is injured. A loss here could really hurt confidence which is already low and put us in the relegation fight. I predict a 2-2 draw.

Robles

Coleman Jags Mori Baines

McCarthy Barry

Gerry Barkley Lennon

Lukaku

Less than a week away now from this League match, must win if you ask me. Relegation team will be fighting but it's a home match, we should get all 3 points. Strongest 11 we have available for me. Really don't want to see Ossie or Pienaar in there on the left while Kev is injured. A loss here could really hurt confidence which is already low and put us in the relegation fight. I predict a 2-2 draw.

Robles

Coleman Jags Mori Baines

McCarthy Barry

Gerry Barkley Lennon

Lukaku

Think we all take that as a given when you start a match day thread mate :P

I'll be curious to see whether RM rotates Jagielka, Funes Mori, and Stones just a little the rest of the season. Can Jagielka play 3 in 7 days? Maybe so, if he expended relatively little energy yesterday. Does Funes Mori stay ahead of Stones for Newcastle? I assume at some point, maybe immediately, the regular CH pairing is Jagielka and Stones. But the Stones "situation" (?) is a little odd right now.

Is Cleverley one of RM's essentials, and so play somewhere every match he's healthy? Will Barkley start every match, rested only occasionally at 70-80 minutes?

Did McCarthy pick up enough of a nick yesterday to stay out against Newcastle?

Hope to see Lennon staying exclusively on the right, sharing time with regular starter Deulofeu. Lennon starting when fixtures get crowded and subbing most matches at ~ 70 minutes.

At LW, I prefer to see Oviedo starting against Newcastle. Like to see him sharing time on left with Mirallas the rest of the season. Mirallas first choice there. Forget Kone, Osman, Cleverley out there.

If we could keep clean sheets we'd be top 4, it isn't just going to suddenly happen.

Can't see Newcastle beating us, mind you I couldn't imagine Swansea doing it.

That's what makes it so frustrating.

Knowing that all we need to do is defend and we're suddenly a different team.

We can hope.

Newcastle have a breath of fresh air going into this game with a newly reinforced squad. If I'm totally honest I can see Everton losing this one. As mark said it's a must win, this is the point we need to turn our season around and push for Europe.

Howard

Coleman Stones Mori Baines

Cleverly Barry

Gerry Barkley Lennon

Rom

I don't think Jags can play so many games in such a short amount of time. This is the team I'd like to see out, however I can see Lennon starting on the left and either Kone's or Osman on the right.

Newcastle have a breath of fresh air going into this game with a newly reinforced squad. If I'm totally honest I can see Everton losing this one. As mark said it's a must win, this is the point we need to turn our season around and push for Europe.

Howard

Coleman Stones Mori Baines

Cleverly Barry

Gerry Barkley Lennon

Rom

I don't think Jags can play so many games in such a short amount of time. This is the team I'd like to see out, however I can see Lennon starting on the left and either Kone's or Osman on the right.

Europe's not happening without an FA cup win.

Guest rusty747

To get Europe next season via a league position finish, we will need about 64 points minimum. That means we need a minimum of 35 points from the 15 remaining games. Those are title winning figures and, even if we improve substantially, I just can't see us getting that many points from our remaining matches. We would need to win 10, draw 5 and lose none or win 11 draw 2 and lose 2.

Edited by rusty747

To get Europe next season via a league position finish, we will need about 64 points minimum. That means we need a minimum of 35 points from the 15 remaining games. Those are title winning figures and, even if we improve substantially, I just can't see us getting that many points from our remaining matches. We would need to win 10, draw 5 and lose none or win 11 draw 2 and lose 2.

Reality is a bitch.

All depends on who wins the cups and how many points top teams take off each other. Said it before but Europe potentially goes down to seventh place so we're possibly only five points off it; far too early to give up on it. If we were in second place five points off the lead would you say the title was gone?

Last season Southampton qualified with sixty.

When we qualified for Champs League in 04/05 (with 61 points) Liverpool (58), Bolton (58) and Boro (55) all qualified behind us. Between then and now teams have qualified with as few as 56 (Bolton 06/07) and 53 (Fulham 08/09).

Before that Newcastle (56 03/04), Blackburn (60 02/03) and Chelsea (61 00/01).

Certain there would be more examples if I went back further.

Long way to go.

Not many teams are gonna finish top six it seems.

Guest rusty747

Top six, not necessarily in order, Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, Man C, Man U, West Ham or Liverpool.

We are currently 7 points behind West Ham who are sixth. As much as I would like to think we can catch them, I just cant see it happening.

Best I can see us doing from the remaining 15 games is win 8, draw 4, lose 3 and thats looking through very rose tinted glasses. That would give us 56 points and I just can't see that being enough.

Obviously we must try for as high a league position as possible but I really think our best route to Europe is via the FA Cup ...... unless there is a place for fair play again. How many red cards this season?

Edited by rusty747

Matt, we're in February and still haven't won 2 league games in a row. It'll be one hell of a spectacular turnaround in form for us to make Europe, and there has been no sign of that turnaround happening.

and there is Febuary, March and April to play for, typically when we are at our best. 7 point gap at this stage is nothing.

I know my optimism can be annoying but honestly I feel I'm just being realistic. Alternatively, I can be as miserable as some of you lot or look at the points possible to win. Potentially avoid misery all together, or at least be miserable at the end of the season instead. No brainer for me :)

Edited by Matt

and there is Febuary, March and April to play for, typically when we are at our best. 7 point gap at this stage is nothing.

I know my optimism can be annoying but honestly I feel I'm just being realistic. Alternatively, I can be as miserable as some of you lot or look at the points possible to win. Potentially avoid misery all together, or at least be miserable at the end of the season instead. No brainer for me :)

Whilst not impossible those points are also available to every other team. 7 points is a a big gap IMO. If we can't go down we surely can't finish 6th?

:lol:

We need the positivity/optimism to balance things out.

Can't believe you've just spelt February wrong though. As crumbly as Swiss cheese you are.

Edit - your positivity isn't annoying, what's annoying is that you were saying the same things last season and we finished nowhere then too! You'll keep saying the same thing if we finish the season nowhere again, start next season the same... Rinse, repeat!

Edited by Romey 1878

If we're to have any chance at all, we can't drop more than two points the whole month of February. That means wins against Newcastle, away at Stoke and home to West Brom. Then I'll be convinced we have a chance.

Whilst not impossible those points are also available to every other team. 7 points is a a big gap IMO. If we can't go down we surely can't finish 6th?

didn't say it would be easy, but it's certainly possible

:lol:

We need the positivity/optimism to balance things out.

Can't believe you've just spelt February wrong though. As crumbly as Swiss cheese you are.

Edit - your positivity isn't annoying, what's annoying is that you were saying the same things last season and we finished nowhere then too! You'll keep saying the same thing if we finish the season nowhere again, start next season the same... Rinse, repeat!

actually, this time last season I had pretty much given up and came round to the idea of getting rid of Roberto, briefly. That was down to the dire football more that's the results. When we finally tightened up and ground out some results I was more optimistic again . This season, we've addressed an awful lot and improved in many ways - there is only 1 point to address instead of 3-4 points.

And I'm on the iPad, February wasn't corrected because I put in the capital (thus the word is ignored) ;)

If we're to have any chance at all, we can't drop more than two points the whole month of February. That means wins against Newcastle, away at Stoke and home to West Brom. Then I'll be convinced we have a chance.

All of which should be winnable. Stoke are doing well this season, granted, but we should still win.