IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Apparently been banned from Chicago after disbanding the Dreamers program :lol:

I'm not sure whether those outside the US are aware of just how much these poor people have been double-crossed. We're talking about young people now at college, in school, or who've just started a job. They were brought to the US illegally as infants or small children. They know nothing about their parents' country and possibly not even its language. Many are outstanding students, outstanding community members, and hard workers. They're hardly a threat to the population. Study after study reveals they are net contributors to society and the economy, not takers. Five years ago, President Obama gave them hope, suspending any programs that would deport them. To claim this right, however, they had to register with the authorities. This was a very big and risky deal for them - in effect, coming out of the shadows and sharing their personal information, including contact information, with the government. Now President Trump has reneged on that agreement, and the information they willingly (and courageously) supplied will be used against them. This is nothing short of despicable.

Imagine that your parents were from Russia and brought you to Britain when you were two years old. You attended school in Britain, you speak almost exclusively English, and everyone you know and everything you have is in Britain. Then the police swoop on your house, arrest you, and you are flown to an airport in Moscow - knowing no-one and not speaking the language. Everything you own is back in Britain, a country you are now banned from entering. What do you do? In the US, 800,000 young people now face this threat.

3 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm not sure whether those outside the US are aware of just how much these poor people have been double-crossed. We're talking about young people now at college, in school, or who've just started a job. They were brought to the US illegally as infants or small children. They know nothing about their parents' country and possibly not even its language. Many are outstanding students, outstanding community members, and hard workers. They're hardly a threat to the population. Study after study reveals they are net contributors to society and the economy, not takers. Five years ago, President Obama gave them hope, suspending any programs that would deport them. To claim this right, however, they had to register with the authorities. This was a very big and risky deal for them - in effect, coming out of the shadows and sharing their personal information, including contact information, with the government. Now President Trump has reneged on that agreement, and the information they willingly (and courageously) supplied will be used against them. This is nothing short of despicable.

Imagine that your parents were from Russia and brought you to Britain when you were two years old. You attended school in Britain, you speak almost exclusively English, and everyone you know and everything you have is in Britain. Then the police swoop on your house, arrest you, and you are flown to an airport in Moscow - knowing no-one and not speaking the language. Everything you own is back in Britain, a country you are now banned from entering. What do you do? In the US, 800,000 young people now face this threat.

We won't need to imagine. With Brexit, we're going to see it first hand.

3 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Trump is a fucking scumbag.  He can't do anything in Congress or policy wise so why not fuck over some kids.  He's going to leave a scorched earth in this country when he leaves.  Just like Bush did.

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

It's absolutely awful. One minor correction, though, and one that I think fuels a lot of the ignorant sentiment against DACA is that it protects anyone who was brought here before their 16th birthday as long as they were 30 years old or younger in 2012.

I think for the majority of the bigots fighting against DACA, they're seeing all the 20-35 year olds and thinking that they're grown people capable of making a life for themselves.

Doesn't make the decision any less terrible.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I spent yesterday looking on the map for Nambia. Still can't find it, but I assume it's where the namby-pamby's come from.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41345577

did you hear what he said about africa?  "a lot of my friends go there to get rich, a lot of them".  at least he's admitting the rich and powerful nations have been raping and pillaging that continent for centuries.  they have vast natural resources and sadly the citizens of their countries see little of the profits.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41382495

I assume we're going to see the same calls for Kushner being jailed then?

Looking at this objectively, it's not comparable to Hilary's use of a private email server. She used private email pretty much exclusively, including for sensitive/classified communication. Jared Kushner used his only when responding to messages forwarded to his private email, and he added his official email address on replies. I'd rather focus on the many issues for which Donald Trump should be brought to justice, not this one by his son-in-law.

23 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

The level of patriotism in the US has never sat right with me. Demanding that everyone stand for the anthem or place hand on heart for the pledge, at every sport event, school event, political event, etc., is way over the top. If you look at it objectively, it's the kind of thing we expect of, say, North Korea.

Smells of Big Brother to me, I'd compare it to nazi Germany but be (rightly) accused of godwinism, it certainly smacks of a totalitarian state. Can you imagine our national anthem being played pre game at goodison? Nobody would take a blind bit of notice.

5 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Smells of Big Brother to me, I'd compare it to nazi Germany but be (rightly) accused of godwinism, it certainly smacks of a totalitarian state. Can you imagine our national anthem being played pre game at goodison? Nobody would take a blind bit of notice.

agreed, also until 2009 the players stayed in the locker room during then.  2009 comes along and the military needs to market themselves to the public (fuck knows why) so they PAY the NFL 10m to have the players out there and flags and military salute and the whole bullshit.  Paid Patriotism.  that's about as american as it gets if you ask me.

28 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I thought Z cars was the national anthem?

Just now, Palfy said:

one of the news headlines in Britain is that Trump has declared war against N.Korea via Twitter.

This is probably a gross exaggeration to fill news time, but how has this war of words being analysed by the American news makers

gross exaggeration.  the north korean foreign minister said trumps tweets over the weekend signaled a "declaration of war" to which the US officials said there is no declaration.  North Korean minister said they can shoot down our planes too.  i don't think anything will happen, just 2 guys trying to see who's penis is bigger, non story really.