IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

2nd game in a row where we have looked a better team without Gana if we keep this positive style of play up, instead of Gana returning to the team and the defensive style of play coming back to halt our progress, it will be sooner rather than later that we will get the wins our more attacking play deserves, what hasn't helped our cause in the last two games is someone who can get the ball in the net.

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Ah yes, Joey Barton, the fella that got on Unsworth’s back for being overweight. The fella that put a cigar out on a young players face. 

You'll have to forgive me if his opinion means absolutely nothing to me. 

Maybe, even a broken clocks right twice a day and this is one of the times he's right, couldn't agree more with his analysis of Gana.

But your right he is a massive dick head 99% of the time.

His positional sense was embarrassing in that game definitely a headless chicken or as Barton said a little boy chasing a crisp packet.

Really struggle to comprehend how anyone would want him playing for this club, if that's the best we've got it's no wonder were in the shit.

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

His positional sense was embarrassing in that game definitely a headless chicken or as Barton said a little boy chasing a crisp packet.

Really struggle to comprehend how anyone would want him playing for this club, if that's the best we've got it's no wonder were in the shit.

Just curious, since I didn't see the game, but shouldn't the rage be aimed at someone who actually didn't contribute, rather than the only DCM who did? 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just curious, since I didn't see the game, but shouldn't the rage be aimed at someone who actually didn't contribute, rather than the only DCM who did? 

I think he was so busy trying to plug gaps that he was dragged all over the place. Yes he was poor, but he was trying and was let down, by Schneiderlin and the manager first and foremost.

6 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I think he was so busy trying to plug gaps that he was dragged all over the place. Yes he was poor, but he was trying and was let down, by Schneiderlin and the manager first and foremost.

See, that’s a lot more plausible 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm not in a rage I've never seen a decent player in him, I only watched the first half and turned off, Schneiderlin wasn't good but he tried to hold his position, Gana went forward when he should have stayed, he looked completely lost on that pitch, I wish I had watched the 2nd half so I could have seen Davies given him a master class on what he should have been doing.

I remember him at Villa he was below average there and they went down, I remember Schneiderlin at Southampton he was brilliant I think Schneiderlin could rediscover that form under the right circumstances, Gana has never had it so be able to rediscover it.

30 minutes ago, London Blue said:

London don't mistake aimless chasing the ball around were ever it goes as covering and plugging gaps, we normally see that when kids play.

Chasing after the ball with no regard to the area he's vacated and the player he's left unmarked, is why he looks so headless, and ultimately cost the team.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

For me Gana is a massive part of why we are so shit. Effectively playing with 10 men when we have the ball because he goes hiding. Defensively he's a moron and follows the ball not the play, gets caught out for running out of position and never being goalside more than any professional football I've had the displeasure of watching in my lifetime. Whereas Cuco is a back up right back doing nothing special whilst filling in at left back. 

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

Credit for the first post, but this is just nuts. 

Half-a-cheers 🍻. 

Brought it across to the Gana thread. Once you see how poor his positioning is you can't unsee it. That and him constantly hiding when we have the ball is infuriating. He's the common dominator in what has been a very poor side. 

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

London don't mistake aimless chasing the ball around were ever it goes as covering and plugging gaps, we normally see that when kids play.

Chasing after the ball with no regard to the area he's vacated and the player he's left unmarked, is why he looks so headless, and ultimately cost the team.

One mans chasing is another mans closing down.

I was thinking about Gana today ( sadly I often do ) and wondering if I've ever seen a player that has his attributes, then it dawned on me he's a poorer version of Robbie Savage.

Now I did quite like Robbie for effort and desire to win the ball or the man what ever he got to first, but for skill and ability he was lacking same as Gana, he was headless following the ball all over the place not considering whether he'd left a man unmarked or big hole somewhere same as Gana.

But where Robbie was better was his work rate and as I've said desire and passion, also he stopped the man he was after more than not, none of these things can be said of Gana he's lacking in what it takes to be a winner.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I was thinking about Gana today ( sadly I often do ) and wondering if I've ever seen a player that has his attributes, then it dawned on me he's a poorer version of Robbie Savage.

Now I did quite like Robbie for effort and desire to win the ball or the man what ever he got to first, but for skill and ability he was lacking same as Gana, he was headless following the ball all over the place not considering whether he'd left a man unmarked or big hole somewhere same as Gana.

But where Robbie was better was his work rate and as I've said desire and passion, also he stopped the man he was after more than not, none of these things can be said of Gana he's lacking in what it takes to be a winner.

That and Robbie Savage never hid from the ball, and could make a forward pass. As players go I can't imagine we'll ever see one as poor again amass so many appearances. Simply not a footballer.

He's a defensive midfielder who's role is to break up play win challenges and also intercept what he can and I'm pretty sure statistically he's shown since coming here that's what he does and does it quite well, he's looked poorer then usual being plonked next to Scarlet Schneiderlin Pimpernel

He's a good player who does a certain role and does it well for the most part but like 99.9% of the side he's been under par 

54 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

He's a defensive midfielder who's role is to break up play win challenges and also intercept what he can and I'm pretty sure statistically he's shown since coming here that's what he does and does it quite well, he's looked poorer then usual being plonked next to Scarlet Schneiderlin Pimpernel

He's a good player who does a certain role and does it well for the most part but like 99.9% of the side he's been under par 

He's always out of position and never goalside. Does nothing going forward, actually worse than nothing he hides and makes it easy for the opposition to close down whatever player of ours has the ball. 

I genuinely find it disconcerting that PeteO and myself are the only ones who speak out against him, he's that poor I know we can't be the only two who have doubts over is abilities or lack of.

Not many like to give critique on players which is fair enough, but I know there are a few who can see with out the help of stats that don't always show a true picture if a player is good enough for this team, and I truly believe if people really think he's good enough then our standards have dropped to an all time low, now I don't want people to think I just have a personal hate of him cause I don't, my problem with him is simple he is not good enough for this club we deserve far better.

And the acceptance of players like him is why we find ourselves were we are, we can't play out of the position we find ourselves in with players of his standard that want happen, especially when the opposition's players are better.

I don't see it as personal Palfy we all slate critique and rant about certain players I just personally think he's a good player not exceptional but does what he's supposed to well 

Last season and I know the same can be said of others he was brilliant as said he has dropped off this season but he's not been as piss poor as Schneiderlin who's had possibly one of the worst turnarounds inform I've ever seen

Pete I agree he offers little going forward but he's the type to make a short pass from a deeper position to a carrier or a box to box type, Kante Essien Makelele and so on were all similar in that regard they did the dirty work someone else took it from there. 

We had Barkley last season and a very in form Schneiderlin which I think has had a massive domino effect all round 

Just goes to show how differently people see certain things 

44 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I genuinely find it disconcerting that PeteO and myself are the only ones who speak out against him, he's that poor I know we can't be the only two who have doubts over is abilities or lack of.

Nothing wrong with being in a minority, I am on many things, doesn't mean you're in the wrong.

But, in this case when it's you & Pete v virtually everyone does it not give you occasional pause for thought? The two of you are spot on and the rest of us are clueless on midfield play? Maybe, but unlikely. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Not many like to give critique on players which is fair enough, but I know there are a few who can see with out the help of stats that don't always show a true picture if a player is good enough for this team, and I truly believe if people really think he's good enough then our standards have dropped to an all time low, now I don't want people to think I just have a personal hate of him cause I don't, my problem with him is simple he is not good enough for this club we deserve far better.

And the acceptance of players like him is why we find ourselves were we are, we can't play out of the position we find ourselves in with players of his standard that want happen, especially when the opposition's players are better.

It all depends what you want from a player on your team. The easy comparison is between him and McCarthy. I would class McCarthy as and footballer because bar the odd rush of blood he thinks about the game, he assesses the situation and makes a decision based on that assessment whereas Gana sees the player and passes him the ball, or sees the player and attempts the tackle but on the whole he is pretty good at that because physically he can cover a lot of ground and not stop.

I have respect for Gana because he isnt as bad player and in the right games and situations he can be a useful asset to the team but games like the weekend in a novel formation, asked to contribute too much in attack alongside a bottle job like Schneiderlin as the only 2 in midfield is more or less playing straight into his weaknesses.

Given the current squad, IMO he is the only DM we can rely upon and he should be sitting behind 2 more 'footballing' midfielders so that he can shield the back 4 and just lay it off to those ahead of him and not worry about getting too high up the pitch.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

and just lay it off to those ahead of him and not worry about getting too high up the pitch.

He'd have to learn how to look forward first. He passes backwards and sideways and shirks responsibility. Ends up with the other CM dropping deep as well as the wingers. Once someone gets the ball the striker is isolated and there's then no forward pass on and we're under pressure if the other team press, resulting in mistakes and more goals conceded than I can cope with.