IGNORED

Fabian Delph

On 08/06/2022 at 06:33, Fosse Captain said:

Indeed 👍🏻
I wouldn’t mind Allan staying. 
The rest can shut the door on the way out tho. 

Allan is a tough one. Good leader and he’s always out there giving effort but I think age has caught up with him a bit.  1,2,5 times a game opposing midfielders are cruising past him at this point. I expect we will keep him but I wish we had a better longterm option in that role. Perhaps Davies can step up as I doubt it’ll be a priority position for us on a limited budget. 

On 09/06/2022 at 14:59, SpartyBlue said:

Allan is a tough one. Good leader and he’s always out there giving effort but I think age has caught up with him a bit.  1,2,5 times a game opposing midfielders are cruising past him at this point. I expect we will keep him but I wish we had a better longterm option in that role. Perhaps Davies can step up as I doubt it’ll be a priority position for us on a limited budget. 

This boils down to how we want to play again. 

If we want to sit deep, play compact and not see much of the ball, Allan can still play a decent part in our season. 

If we want to get on the ball, play expansive and open football, he will get exposed game after game. His legs were going when we signed him, and they will only get worse two seasons later. 

I feel exactly the same way about Davies too so I don't see him as someone who can come in and step up. 

I really don't know what to expect next season in terms of our style of play, but I think we would need to make too many changes to the squad to start playing the type of football you would have associated with Lampard at Chelsea and Derby. Most of those changes would need to be in midfield too because I am not sure any of the players we have would be suited to playing that way.

• 3 months later...