IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Watch James Rodriquez tonight, marked to the inch, still managed to kill it, turn, beat a man, lay it off. I'm not saying go and buy him but seriously when you look at players like him, Suarez, aguero, Mueller, and the list goes on you see why lukaku has a glass ceiling above his head.

But his putative price tag is nowhere near what those guys are valued at; bit of a daft comparison.

But his putative price tag is nowhere near what those guys are valued at; bit of a daft comparison.

Monaco paid 38.5mill for him last year at 21. It's not too wide of the mark.

Besides, he said he wouldn't be keen on the premiership as it's too physical. Soft bastard.

Big difference, they all have very good technical proficiency. As much as being a 6ft 3 steam roller can be an asset, paramount importance must be placed on looking after the ball.

Listen, lukaku for me if he had great control and technical ability could be the player Stan collymore promised to be. The reality is, he just hasn't got it.

He's being promoted above his level, simple as that. Watch James Rodriquez tonight, marked to the inch, still managed to kill it, turn, beat a man, lay it off. I'm not saying go and buy him but seriously when you look at players like him, Suarez, aguero, Mueller, and the list goes on you see why lukaku has a glass ceiling above his head.

At the right price, a good signing. But He's at an inflated price. For me it's like buying a convertible car when it rains half the year.

I know that you have told us a million times. I get those points and to a certain level I agree. Just don't agree with the other crap.

Erm, not sure of your argument there? All 3 of those players were continuously linked to other clubs??? And the bit in bold, not sure where that's going?

Anyway. I think your missing the point of the subject a bit. The whole linked to big clubs thing is more to do with the 'over hype' of Lukaku. It's not solely to do with who wants him, but it's more Haf making a point that if he was as good as some believe, the likes of United, City, Madrid etc would be all over him. But also Chelsea wouldn't want to let him go. Which we don't really know yet anyway. So the whole last umpteen pages of this thread have been pointless!!! It's not really my argument, because I'm in the school of thought that we don't know what is happening anyway. I just liked that angle of thinking.

Although the latest round is that he is going on loan to atletico for a year. Honestly, I really couldn't be arsed with being farmed out on loan to 3 clubs in 3 years. Man, would do my nut in a bit.

No I get the point, it's just not a good one. None of those players have been seriously linked recently to many other clubs. Shaw has always been solely linked with Utd and Costa with Chelsea. It makes absolutely no difference to the players ability. It's just another way of trying to have a dig on a completely irrelevant point, especially when we don't have a clue about which teams have made enquiries about Lukaku.

Query his touch, query his effort etc then that's fine, it's a genuine opinion about the player. Query whether he is any good because the rags haven't said that he is being linked to Real Madrid or Bayern Munich and your talking out your arse.

Things is at one stage those lads were obtainable for less with a clear indication that they were going to be class. Again, all comes down to technical abikty for me.

Is that not the point he's making though? In a round about way (!!!).

That Lukaku is not wanted by those clubs who go out and snap up the higher calibre players, pay whatever for them (especially if they are young), yet they don't seem to be in a hurry to snap up Lukaku? So despite this magical mystical 1 in 2 strike rate, and despite only being 21 etc etc...Not many seem to be chasing him? So is he really of the calibre believed? And can he splashing out 20 or so million really be justified?

Of course it could be that he is away with Belgium and doesn't want any distractions. For all we know he could come back after the world cup, be told he's not wanted at Chelsea and the floodgates open.

If Lukaku was the finished article he would be going for a hell of a lot more than £20M and we would have absolutely no chance what so ever of signing him. We cant shop in the same market as those clubs so the fact that they aren't in for him is irrelevant as far as Im concerned

I agree with Haf that he does have a habit of going missing in games, but then so has Barkley and I would not want to sell him for £20M. For me the debate is whether or not Rom can develop as a player and I personally think that he can, obviously Haf doesn't

Either way he is way better than anybody we have on the books at the moment, as is Bony, so I would be delighted if we could get either of them and for me both are worth £20M all day long

For me I think the debate is more about whether or not Lukaku can develop into a top player or not

With mandzukic going to Madrid where are people saying Rom will end up now? A long while ago I remember spurs were interested, and maybe Dortmund. But Dortmund got someone from Italy already and spurs have a new manager.

Who knows maybe he will fall to us for the right price since all the other suitors have dropped. Plus Chelsea need to sell. Costa and favregas were expensive and with FFP they need to sell.

No I get the point, it's just not a good one. None of those players have been seriously linked recently to many other clubs. Shaw has always been solely linked with Utd and Costa with Chelsea. It makes absolutely no difference to the players ability. It's just another way of trying to have a dig on a completely irrelevant point, especially when we don't have a clue about which teams have made enquiries about Lukaku.

Query his touch, query his effort etc then that's fine, it's a genuine opinion about the player. Query whether he is any good because the rags haven't said that he is being linked to Real Madrid or Bayern Munich and your talking out your arse.

Haha. Love how frustrated we get over a player that we know naff all about.

Great stuff.

With mandzukic going to Madrid where are people saying Rom will end up now? A long while ago I remember spurs were interested, and maybe Dortmund. But Dortmund got someone from Italy already and spurs have a new manager.

Who knows maybe he will fall to us for the right price since all the other suitors have dropped. Plus Chelsea need to sell. Costa and favregas were expensive and with FFP they need to sell.

It changes every day! Most things at the moment with most players seem to be speculation. I reckon the whole market will kick off once the world cup is done

Hopefully no one else comes in for him & we get him for around the £15m mark. Next season, with ego bruised & a point to prove, he absolutely smashes it & gets us 20 goals plus & champions league football. Not an ideal world we live in I know but also not beyond the realms of possibility.

Hopefully no one else comes in for him & we get him for around the £15m mark. Next season, with ego bruised & a point to prove, he absolutely smashes it & gets us 20 goals plus & champions league football. Not an ideal world we live in I know but also not beyond the realms of possibility.

Would be awesome

"I have the opportunity to stay at Everton, it is a possibility and it is something we will have to talk about. But first I want to go back to Belgium, see my family and get some rest."

I hope he doesn't take too long deciding because it looks as though we can't go forward in the transfer market til we know what's happening with him.

I hope he doesn't take too long deciding because it looks as though we can't go forward in the transfer market til we know what's happening with him.

Seems that way doesn't it?

Just hope the fee isn't daft and there is money left in the kitty for other deals.

Seems that way doesn't it?

Just hope the fee isn't daft and there is money left in the kitty for other deals.

Considering Martinez has said need to bring in 6 or 7 new players we better pray there'll still be a decent amount in the kitty, or we'll have one brilliant player brought in and the rest will be dregs :o .

I believe we'll sign a couple this week with Martinez back from his work in Brazil.

I think your point about a lot of us worrying about spending the bulk of out budget on him is a big factor.

The comparison to Barkley is also fair as Barkley has at times frustrated. but Barkley is ours and so we are right to be biased.

If we can get him for under 20m then we have to go for it and support him. Sometimes it's those little touches that end up creating a goal for someone else can turn an average player into an effective player.

Its no secret I like the lad, I dont think Ive argued someones case this much ever. But I started thinking; maybe I'm letting my admiration for the lad get in the way of a proper analysis of him. So, rather than concentrate on the positives, which I think are clear (Ive summarized them with links to proof where required), I decided to pick up on this negatives put forward...

Pros
Cons
  • Price tag Never been argued that its inflated, I've always said 15m + potential add-ons up to 20m.
  • Can go missing in games Who doesnt? Not a great argument but he will only improve and Martinez is the man to get the best out of him. Even the games where he isnt scoring, hes making an impact a lot of the time. Same argument can be applied to Barkley.
    Can have a poor touch Who doesnt? Some times its great, sometimes its terrible, like any developing player. I wont argue that this will be perfected but it can and will be improved upon but this is a matter of opinion and no point arguing individual beliefs. Again, Barkley can be used as a comparison here.
  • Struggles as a target man Agreed, but then play to his strengths. You dont take a player like Barkley for example and play him on the wing or a holding midfielder to improve his all-round game, you play to his strengths. Same applies to Lukaku - let him run on to it. For when running through isnt working, use him as a distraction / battering ram to open space for others to exploit.
  • Attitude Such a strange statement - "thinks he's better than he is". You want him to have the mentality that average is ok? He wants to be the best, he is aiming for the top. Its called ambition and good on him for being positive. However, he now has to walk the walk more consistently, which he has admitted is up to him. Martinez has repeatedly praised the lad for his mentality, praising his constructive arrogance like he has done with Barkley and Gerry.
    "1 goal in 11 games" - 1st game into that run, he setup Oviedo for the winner (under pressure, turned his man - Im sure the argument against this will be "he was trying to shoot", which is irrelevant - he setup a goal). The next game, against Arsenal, he setup Deulafeu and again not intended, but occupied defenders and got the slightest of touches to take it to Gerrys feet (who then did the hard work). 3rd game into this run, assist for Barry goal. Nothing to note in the Swansea or Sunderland game but then his 1 goal in 11 was the winner against Southampton. So, out of the first 6 games of this terrible scoring streak, he is directly responsible for 4 goals. Not bad going. Nothing to mention in the Stoke game, assists Barry for opening goal against Norwich. The next game against WBA, assists Mirallas. Liverpool game, disappears along with the rest of the team. So 11 games, 1 goal and 5 assists - responsible for 6 goals in those 11 games, no matter how intentional or not.
All that I can conclude is that people are understandably seriously put off with the price tag, because it represents the majority of our budget, and so are trying to find any little thing to justify why we shouldnt invest the money. Thing is, to address the negatives, you can get your chequebook our for 40m+, because you're talking about a Suarez / Ageuro/ etc quality player. Or we can invest in a youngster our manager believes in and enjoy the benefits we already have seen.
I mentioned Barkley, who we would be wanting for around double the 25m City recently offered, despite the fact he contributed less goals and assists. You want to argue more technical proficiency? I understand why, but then Barkley is wanting in a few areas of his game too. The point Im trying to make is, I cant help thinking the critics of Lukaku will be as harsh on one of our own.
edit: sorry its a bit rushed, called into a meeting sooner than expected

Fair play for the in depth post.

The biggest point for me is "Can have a poor touch" - for me that is like saying someone "can be slow", you either are or you aren't.

The opposite is having a great touch - that to me is Berbatov, Lukaku has never showed anything near a great touch for me.

Your touch is like a golf swing, its all very well being able to hit a ball when there is no pressure on you, its what it does when you are under pressure. This is where I judge the lad, and he is too far from having abything that resembles a decent first touch, its horrible - it really is.

The other night against USA he misplaced/miscontrolled 3 balls - one went to the USA player which phase of play led to their goal, another went out for a throw in, and another I just noted as being a sigh and "oh well". That was in the space of 15 minutes. At any level above championship that is poor, really poor.

He is like a boxer who can't jab - he ain't gonna get far just hoping he can land a wild left hook, at lower level his power may be evident, against a proper boxer he will spend all night trying to land one shot because he just can't box.

Will his touch get better? It may improve from poor, to below average. Really that is it. The rest we will need to find a way about eliminating the risk associated with that part of his game. Not sure about Barekley comparison with regards touch, that lad wears slippers - its his decsion making thats the problem.

I agree with the rest of his strenghths, its his glaring weakness.

Fair play for the in depth post.

The biggest point for me is "Can have a poor touch" - for me that is like saying someone "can be slow", you either are or you aren't.

The opposite is having a great touch - that to me is Berbatov, Lukaku has never showed anything near a great touch for me.

Your touch is like a golf swing, its all very well being able to hit a ball when there is no pressure on you, its what it does when you are under pressure. This is where I judge the lad, and he is too far from having abything that resembles a decent first touch, its horrible - it really is.

The other night against USA he misplaced/miscontrolled 3 balls - one went to the USA player which phase of play led to their goal, another went out for a throw in, and another I just noted as being a sigh and "oh well". That was in the space of 15 minutes. At any level above championship that is poor, really poor.

He is like a boxer who can't jab - he ain't gonna get far just hoping he can land a wild left hook, at lower level his power may be evident, against a proper boxer he will spend all night trying to land one shot because he just can't box.

Will his touch get better? It may improve from poor, to below average. Really that is it. The rest we will need to find a way about eliminating the risk associated with that part of his game. Not sure about Barekley comparison with regards touch, that lad wears slippers - its his decsion making thats the problem.

I agree with the rest of his strenghths, its his glaring weakness.

Exactly the point, one of the basics of football that he has to work on, like the first touch for Rom. You're convinced it cannot greatly improve, I'm convinced it can improve but never be perfect. You can be slow, then you can practice/train to get quicker.