IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Our good friends at the "CIES Footbal Observatory", (an independent study centre located in Switzerland that specializes in the statistical analysis of football) have released their new list with the most expensive players.

One Evertonian included at number 25: Romelu Lukaku - 70,9m EUR.

Full list : http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2016/172/en/

great comment - "you lot will write what you want to write anyway"

The penny has finally dropped it seems. It has done him no favours being so "open" with the press... he knows that the reality is - score on the pitch and he will get interest.... if the interested clubs are interested enough to spend £60m then he will likely be sold....

essentially its in the hands of him and his performances - not his mouth.

credit where it is due - I'm quick enough to slate him, so I will be just as ready to praise him for a well handled interview.

The penny has finally dropped it seems. It has done him no favours being so "open" with the press... he knows that the reality is - score on the pitch and he will get interest.... if the interested clubs are interested enough to spend £60m then he will likely be sold....

credit where it is due - I'm quick enough to slate him, so I will be just as ready to praise him for a well handled interview.

Good post mate, and shows you're not totally blinded by dislike for him.

Fair play to you ??

Do we agree on a Lukaku post?!

:P

Do we agree on a Lukaku post?!

:P

Good post mate, and shows you're not totally blinded by dislike for him.

Fair play to you

lets say I'm a harsh critic.... I think this weekend has made me realise why I don't particularly "LIKE HIM".... my appraisal of him as a footballer is irrespective of my opinion of him.

I retain a lot of those opinions that he is a very good finisher with incredible athletic ability and potential. But I do not rate him as a technical player, or one who is team focused - his attitude does bother me.

What I seen this weekend that makes me "fall in love" with a player is seeing someone like Tom Davies play for the shirt.... there is nothing like watching someone play for the shirt with genuine top class ability. When that player has come through the ranks and "gets Everton" - well its like Rooney all over again isn't it?

That's where my lack of "liking" Rom comes from.... and I'm being honest - I can't sugar-coat it - there is something missing. Rom at Everton has been like inviting someone to your house for tea and when they get in they don't take their jacket off, sit their looking at their watch and don't bother conversing unless its something that interests them. You kinda want to say "feel free to go mate"

lets say I'm a harsh critic.... I think this weekend has made me realise why I don't particularly "LIKE HIM".... my appraisal of him as a footballer is irrespective of my opinion of him.

I retain a lot of those opinions that he is a very good finisher with incredible athletic ability and potential. But I do not rate him as a technical player, or one who is team focused - his attitude does bother me.

What I seen this weekend that makes me "fall in love" with a player is seeing someone like Tom Davies play for the shirt.... there is nothing like watching someone play for the shirt with genuine top class ability. When that player has come through the ranks and "gets Everton" - well its like Rooney all over again isn't it?

That's where my lack of "liking" Rom comes from.... and I'm being honest - I can't sugar-coat it - there is something missing. Rom at Everton has been like inviting someone to your house for tea and when they get in they don't take their jacket off, sit their looking at their watch and don't bother conversing unless its something that interests them. You kinda want to say "feel free to go mate"

And all that is fair comment and I understand where you're coming from with all of that. It's just you use any opportunity to reinforce that opinion when you really don't have to, it's a valid point of view probably shared by plenty but other have different ones to it.

When you needlessley critisise people will needlessly defend, it's just a viscious circle mate isn't it.

I love Rom but after seeing how Tom Davies plays for the shirt I have to admit that he jumps ahead of Rom as one of my favorite players at Everton. I would hate to lose Rom but the spirit shown by Davies is what makes me love Everton even more.

I love Rom but after seeing how Tom Davies plays for the shirt I have to admit that he jumps ahead of Rom as one of my favorite players at Everton. I would hate to lose Rom but the spirit shown by Davies is what makes me love Everton even more.

This is why I understand how some maybe younger fans love Lukaku. They have had nothing but bargain level strikers with less prolific stats in average teams to "endure".... ultimately younger fans do love seeing one of their players bag goals vs other top named strikers in the league almost as much as they like to see their club on top of the table.

When I first started watching Everton I would be crestfallen to see Mark Falco, Frank Mcavenie, Ally Mcinally or Ian Rush lead the charts.

But what I didn't realise that was I was watching a team that "every single player" "got Everton"... led by Reid, Gray, Ratcliffe, Southall - they all would spill blood for the shirt.

I've never seen anything with Rom that tells me he would do that - its as if he still hasn't unpacked his suitcase and lives in a hotel. A goalscorer he may well be - but he never has struck me as someone who allowed himself to soak up the club.

Many players have done that - he's not the first, Keown, Lineker, Cottee, never really let the fans know they were happy to be here. The fans aren't soft. Its just that in the recent the climate many fans are that desperate for a hero they will forgo certain things.

I do think Rom is growing up though.... there are signs of that. I am 100% certain that when he reflects on his career he will realise we were the best thing that ever happened to him - absolutely certain. It will not get any better for him.

He will fall short of the striker that is required to play for the very top teams - certainly on a regular basis. At best he will be a rotation striker for a PSG, or lead the line for a team like Juve who just aren't at the level they used to be in a league that is becoming more and more pedestrian.

He will fall short of the striker that is required to play for the very top teams - certainly on a regular basis. At best he will be a rotation striker for a PSG, or lead the line for a team like Juve who just aren't at the level they used to be in a league that is becoming more and more pedestrian.

Don't necessarily agree with this. I think he could easily start for PSG and a few other teams in a couple of years. He still has a lot to learn, but I have no doubt that his ambition will take him there.

Don't necessarily agree with this. I think he could easily start for PSG and a few other teams in a couple of years. He still has a lot to learn, but I have no doubt that his ambition will take him there.

probably right there, I was thinking rotation for city or Chelsea. He would start for PSG - I just don't think there is much satisfaction for players there - a bit like playing for Celtic, expected to win every game in a poor league.

Edited by Hafnia

This is why I understand how some maybe younger fans love Lukaku. They have had nothing but bargain level strikers with less prolific stats in average teams to "endure".... ultimately younger fans do love seeing one of their players bag goals vs other top named strikers in the league almost as much as they like to see their club on top of the table.

When I first started watching Everton I would be crestfallen to see Mark Falco, Frank Mcavenie, Ally Mcinally or Ian Rush lead the charts.

But what I didn't realise that was I was watching a team that "every single player" "got Everton"... led by Reid, Gray, Ratcliffe, Southall - they all would spill blood for the shirt.

I've never seen anything with Rom that tells me he would do that - its as if he still hasn't unpacked his suitcase and lives in a hotel. A goalscorer he may well be - but he never has struck me as someone who allowed himself to soak up the club.

Many players have done that - he's not the first, Keown, Lineker, Cottee, never really let the fans know they were happy to be here. The fans aren't soft. Its just that in the recent the climate many fans are that desperate for a hero they will forgo certain things.

I do think Rom is growing up though.... there are signs of that. I am 100% certain that when he reflects on his career he will realise we were the best thing that ever happened to him - absolutely certain. It will not get any better for him.

They done the same with Ferguson but in a different way though. He was idolised because he loved the club (still does) but in reality his goal scoring record was awful, he was injured all the time and when not injured he was suspended, he cost us more games than he won us but we were dreadful at the time, proper in the doldrums with no hope of anything so fans clung to Ferguson.

In reality if we were a really good side back then Ferguson wouldn't of been tolerated like he was or idolised.

They done the same with Ferguson but in a different way though. He was idolised because he loved the club (still does) but in reality his goal scoring record was awful, he was injured all the time and when not injured he was suspended, he cost us more games than he won us but we were dreadful at the time, proper in the doldrums with no hope of anything so fans clung to Ferguson.

In reality if we were a really good side back then Ferguson wouldn't of been tolerated like he was or idolised.

probably not - he did get away with some really idiotic behaviour.... however he represented the rebellious but brilliant maverick capable of putting the most cultured and capable defenders to the sword and made to look like pathetic little boys.

"On his game" - probably the most devastating traditional centre forward the modern game has seen. Absolutely freakish ability - we talk about first touch a lot.... he had "chewing gum feet" (actually what he referred to them as) - rarely seen him miscontrol a ball. I loved the way he could fire a ball across his shoulder.

there were some games where players walked off the pitch having played him and looked shellshocked. I had a few bevvies with Mark Wright from Liverpool when Mikel Madar played up front for us. He said Ferguson was the toughest, strongest striker he faced.... Alan Shearer wasn't a fraction near him in that sense. He then went on to say Van Basten was by far the best he had ever faced. Basically most defenders were afraid of Dunc - he would make sure you went off with aches.

But yes - he did short change us.... could have been so much more even when you account for his injuries.

That comment "he's refused to rule out a return " pisses me off. What he said was he isn't even thinking about it he's focused on Everton and then goes on to say "you lot will write what you want to welrite anyway"

Looks like he's finally learning to deal with the gutter snipes.

Absolutely right. The press are making a meal of it to sell papers. In life, though, it's always best to say nothing and not rule out options - no matter how strongly we may believe something today. That's just sage advice in general. I don't expect any player to state publicly Everton is the only team they'll ever play for. We have to earn their loyalty, and they have to prove their worth.

Nothing that I haven't said in a different manner.

The only issue is that many questioned of what I was saying is true.... it's there in black and white.

For me though he seems to be shifting his attitude.... definately notice so.ething there that wasn't. The new kids have lit fires under arses.

A good insight into what Lukaku needs to do more of. I think a lot of people will already know this, but a good read.....

http://www.skysports.com/share/10740225

About his running off the ball: Let's not forget that, when he joined us, he couldn't manage more than 60 minutes per game. He's improved leaps and bounds in this area, and maybe the price paid is less running off the ball. I'm sure that will improve over time, but let's not overlook the improvements he's already made.