IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

"I think there has been a little change in mentality for him,” he told the ECHO. “In the last three games he has been strong, fast, powerful"

"I think there has been a little change in mentality for him,” he told the ECHO. “In the last three games he has been strong, fast, powerful

"

If I was to be picky I would say his last game he showed moments of this - in his previous two absolutely no doubt - his run at the end of injury time was special and earlier on in the game it would have been a goal.

However I am just relieved to hear it again from a player that its not the pattern of play, its not a direct ball its down to "ROMS MENTALITY" - he decides when he is gonna be strong, fast and powerful.

I understand that his most fervent supporters would hate to apportion any blame to Roms lack of effort or technical shortfalls - but it has been as clear as day that being dropped has kicked his backside. He is like a thoroughbread racehorse with a bit of an attitude, he needs a jockey who take no messing and show the whip at any sign of playing up.

For me, Roms success is going to be very dependant on how Martinez manages the player psycholgically. It is quite telling that one of his closest friends has identified that its Roms mentality that is responsible for his recent uplift. I guess the team will help him along and give him a kick when needs be.

Haf, like it or not it is down to BOTH!

I disagree Matt. Attitude is everything. There was many occassions in the past 3 games where he has dropped in to link up - set himself to be strong and imposed himself on his marker - something i've been screaming for him to do. Not direct play, intricate 1 and 2 touch and low and behold he can do it. Thats where I am wrong, I said he couldn't - he can!

He's like a child he won't eat sprouts, tell him that he will get ice cream if he eats them and he wolfs them down. ATTITUDE.

Less carrot more stick.

Ding ding! More of an emphasis on playing to his strengths has led to a better mentality from him (rightly or wrongly), which has led to goals and better performances, increasing his confidence. Now hopefully that confidence can be harnessed to improve the aspects of his game he's not quite so good at. It's a cycle whereby everything feeds everything else. It's too simplistic to say one thing has led to seeing the "real" Lukaku.

Ding ding! More of an emphasis on playing to his strengths has led to a better mentality from him (rightly or wrongly), which has led to goals and better performances, increasing his confidence. Now hopefully that confidence can be harnessed to improve the aspects of his game he's not quite so good at. It's a cycle whereby everything feeds everything else. It's too simplistic to say one thing has led to seeing the "real" Lukaku.

I agree Romey - but for me this still boils down to attitude. Its a little worrying, its like a throw back to the old brazilian players like Mirindinha who like the hot sunny days and play well - then on a cold wintery night just don't fancy it.

I agree Romey - but for me this still boils down to attitude. Its a little worrying, its like a throw back to the old brazilian players like Mirindinha who like the hot sunny days and play well - then on a cold wintery night just don't fancy it.

If he has to be cajoled and mollycoddled a little to get the best out of him then I'm fine with that tbh. Why? Because the best of Lukaku is something extremely good, and something that will benefit us massively. Lukaku firing means Everton firing, so if we have to go direct a bit more often I'll happily trade the constant tippy tappy that goes nowhere sometimes. And when you think about it, mixing it up and having different ways of playing isn't something that is a negative, it's something we should do anyway, because it benefits all of our players, not just Lukaku.

This is what has done by head in over the whole thing - it seems to have boiled down to only focussing on Lukaku but the subject of our style of play should be a discussion about the whole side and I feel that Lukaku has been unfairly pinpointed during our shit run and then has been focussed on too much when we've picked things up lately. The fact is that what the players behind him are doing behind him has also made a huge difference. In short, the whole team is playing better, Lukaku's role in the shit and the good is just highlighted more because he's the spearhead.

I disagree Matt. Attitude is everything. There was many occassions in the past 3 games where he has dropped in to link up - set himself to be strong and imposed himself on his marker - something i've been screaming for him to do. Not direct play, intricate 1 and 2 touch and low and behold he can do it. Thats where I am wrong, I said he couldn't - he can!

He's like a child he won't eat sprouts, tell him that he will get ice cream if he eats them and he wolfs them down. ATTITUDE.

Less carrot more stick.

Disagree there. You can have the best attitude in the world, but if you're not supported or being asked to work in a manner you're not comfortable with, the results are going to suffer.

We have mixed up our style of play, we are playing (as a team) much faster if nothing else. I'm not saying dropping him hasn't had an impact, I'm saying a combination of factors have led to him playing better and scoring goals. 2 goals from balls played into the box, where he was able to react and put them in. Before Christmas, we had one of the lowest figures for balls into the box in Europe, didn't we?

If he has to be cajoled and mollycoddled a little to get the best out of him then I'm fine with that tbh. Why? Because the best of Lukaku is something extremely good, and something that will benefit us massively. Lukaku firing means Everton firing, so if we have to go direct a bit more often I'll happily trade the constant tippy tappy that goes nowhere sometimes. And when you think about it, mixing it up and having different ways of playing isn't something that is a negative, it's something we should do anyway, because it benefits all of our players, not just Lukaku.

This is what has done by head in over the whole thing - it seems to have boiled down to only focussing on Lukaku but the subject of our style of play should be a discussion about the whole side and I feel that Lukaku has been unfairly pinpointed during our shit run and then has been focussed on too much when we've picked things up lately. The fact is that what the players behind him are doing behind him has also made a huge difference. In short, the whole team is playing better, Lukaku's role in the shit and the good is just highlighted more because he's the spearhead.

I don't think its more the length of pass - its the tempo. The other night we kept it short for a lot of the time against west ham as we needed to with 10 men. The tempo and speed to press them was key in that. I think because martinez is known to favour patient play, it has been overlooked that Tempo is a part of it.

Disagree there. You can have the best attitude in the world, but if you're not supported or being asked to work in a manner you're not comfortable with, the results are going to suffer.

We have mixed up our style of play, we are playing (as a team) much faster if nothing else. I'm not saying dropping him hasn't had an impact, I'm saying a combination of factors have led to him playing better and scoring goals. 2 goals from balls played into the box, where he was able to react and put them in. Before Christmas, we had one of the lowest figures for balls into the box in Europe, didn't we?

You are touching on what I said - its tempo. It really isn't about the length of pass. If we pass short and quick we can isolate their players and free up ours. The long ball has only benefitted the defence.

You are touching on what I said - its tempo. It really isn't about the length of pass. If we pass short and quick we can isolate their players and free up ours. The long ball has only benefitted the defence.

The we agree, theres been a change of play too.

The we agree, theres been a change of play too.

Maybe our definitions are different. I'm not gonna get into an MC style debrate on it because there is no right or wrong.

Overall it is a style of play so we can agree there. But in its components its short vs long, slow vs quick.

What we were doing:-

Playing around the back 4

Slow passing and slow movement

Passing it short

Slow to press

What we are doing:-

Getting rid from back 4 when needed - long

quicker tempo and quicker movement

Passing it short

quicker to press

thats my two cents anyhow.

Maybe our definitions are different. I'm not gonna get into an MC style debrate on it because there is no right or wrong.

Overall it is a style of play so we can agree there. But in its components its short vs long, slow vs quick.

Passing it short

Slow to press

Passing it short

quicker to press

Completely agree, but in the end there is a change of play overall :)

"I think there has been a little change in mentality for him,” he told the ECHO. “In the last three games he has been strong, fast, powerful"

"I think there has been a little change in mentality for him,” he told the ECHO. “In the last three games he has been strong, fast, powerful

"

If I was to be picky I would say his last game he showed moments of this - in his previous two absolutely no doubt - his run at the end of injury time was special and earlier on in the game it would have been a goal.

However I am just relieved to hear it again from a player that its not the pattern of play, its not a direct ball its down to "ROMS MENTALITY" - he decides when he is gonna be strong, fast and powerful.

I understand that his most fervent supporters would hate to apportion any blame to Roms lack of effort or technical shortfalls - but it has been as clear as day that being dropped has kicked his backside. He is like a thoroughbread racehorse with a bit of an attitude, he needs a jockey who take no messing and show the whip at any sign of playing up.

For me, Roms success is going to be very dependant on how Martinez manages the player psycholgically. It is quite telling that one of his closest friends has identified that its Roms mentality that is responsible for his recent uplift. I guess the team will help him along and give him a kick when needs be.

:dont know: :dont know: :dont know: I%20surrender.gif

Passing it short

Slow to press

Passing it short

quicker to press

:yay: :jump for joy: :yay::celebrate::D

Hooray Haf has finally agreed that there has been a change in our style of play!

:yay: :jump for joy: :yay::celebrate::D

Hooray Haf has finally agreed that there has been a change in our style of play!

That would be the tabloid headline - the further detail is that "we aren't so much going direct/long - the most noticable change has been tempo"

10 men vs West Ham was done so well due to ball retention.

So don't get the white flag raised.

• 3 weeks later...

He's got 22 goals in 54 appearances for us and even before you consider how shite the service in to him has been this season that is a pretty impressive strike rate

No first touch though so we should get rid and bring Vellios back

22 in 54 is a decent stat. Personally I believe it should be more.

But ffs first player to get 10+ in back to back seasons for a while is an embarrassing stat for the club.

He's got 22 goals in 54 appearances for us and even before you consider how shite the service in to him has been this season that is a pretty impressive strike rate

No first touch though so we should get rid and bring Vellios back

Yep Forget he's only young and still learning, forget at 21 he's already got one of the best ratios we've had in years and forget he will probably give us a good return on our investment in the future. His touch is poor and he's not a "comlete" striker.

Get shut and bring Jelavic and have Mirallas and Naismith and the mighty Kone as back up!!

We obviously had all those complete strikers like Suarez, Aguro, Costa and the likes knocking our door for 70k a week.

Stupid Everton :shaking fist:

Yep Forget he's only young and still learning, forget at 21 he's already got one of the best ratios we've had in years and forget he will probably give us a good return on our investment in the future. His touch is poor and he's not a "comlete" striker.

Get shut and bring Jelavic and have Mirallas and Naismith and the mighty Kone as back up!!

We obviously had all those complete strikers like Suarez, Aguro, Costa and the likes knocking our door for 70k a week.

Stupid Everton :shaking fist:

I can't wait till he's 22. I expect he will wake up on his 22nd birthday to a new heightened sense of "I need to play every game like I've been dropped for the last.

Maybe that's what will happen to Barkley, maybe his decision making and courage to tackle will improve on his birthday.

Ive said all along that if the ball comes to Rom in the box then he scores. I've never disputed that. What is indisputable is that he is a poor football player. Is that going to improve??? Not that much.

I believe he needs a strike partner and will always need one to do the work he can't.

I can't wait till he's 22. I expect he will wake up on his 22nd birthday to a new heightened sense of "I need to play every game like I've been dropped for the last.

Maybe that's what will happen to Barkley, maybe his decision making and courage to tackle will improve on his birthday.

Ive said all along that if the ball comes to Rom in the box then he scores. I've never disputed that. What is indisputable is that he is a poor football player. Is that going to improve??? Not that much.

I believe he needs a strike partner and will always need one to do the work he can't.

when he's 22 he will have 2 consecutive seasons scoring double figures and the player directly responsible for most points earned by a single player....