IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

The more the fans know what's going on behind closed doors in this poor form the better. Everybody could see we needed to change the way we play or at least have the ability to change it. We weren't seeing that until the last night.

All the fans need to know and see is that changes are made according to requirements.

The last thing we need to see is a striker who has pretty much done Jack shit all year get all righteous after one good game. What he's done is what John Terry tried to do to Capello in the world cup and undermine the manager.

His message isn't great. He's effectively trying to exert himself and what he wants. He should have kept quiet, big game at the weekend Rom.... We expect more of the same eh.

All the fans need to know and see is that changes are made according to requirements.

The last thing we need to see is a striker who has pretty much done Jack shit all year get all righteous after one good game. What he's done is what John Terry tried to do to Capello in the world cup and undermine the manager.

His message isn't great. He's effectively trying to exert himself and what he wants. He should have kept quiet, big game at the weekend Rom.... We expect more of the same eh.

If the managers doing a shit job I couldn't care less if players call him out. Let's be honest Capello did a shit job at that World Cup too. Still can't see Martinez lasting long here. Edited by MC11

If the managers doing a shit job I couldn't care less if players call him out. Let's be honest Capello did a shit job at that World Cup too. Still can't see Martinez lasting long here.

So you think it's right that a player who has been nothing short of half arsed has let his manager down? This isn't the first time, lukaku has history of this.

So because you think Martinez is due the door then it's ok for Rom to do this? There will be a reaction to this and it can further unsettle the team.

One good game and he gobs off. Shite.

So you think it's right that a player who has been nothing short of half arsed has let his manager down? This isn't the first time, lukaku has history of this.

So because you think Martinez is due the door then it's ok for Rom to do this? There will be a reaction to this and it can further unsettle the team.

One good game and he gobs off. Shite.

If it takes that to get him to change his ways yes! The club is bigger than Martinez. If he reverts back to shitty possession football on Saturday I want him gone. Lukaku in :P

If it takes that to get him to change his ways yes! The club is bigger than Martinez. If he reverts back to shitty possession football on Saturday I want him gone. Lukaku in :P

You are missing the point. IF what Martinez did was to respond to the players then why does Rom need to come out with it???

Complete shit house and self serving passive aggressive behaviour. Snitching on his boss to the fans as if to say his shite performances and results are down to the style. All we did was clear our lines quicker. His performance was cos he had a fire lit under his arse.

As I say. This won't be the end of it.

i don't think the players saying that is a bad thing at all. here in the states players do that all the time with the coaches. they work together, because they both just want to win.

non story for me, glad roberto listened and obliged and glad the players spoke up when they saw something to improve upon.

i don't think the players saying that is a bad thing at all. here in the states players do that all the time with the coaches. they work together, because they both just want to win.

non story for me, glad roberto listened and obliged and glad the players spoke up when they saw something to improve upon.

Agree. It's not a big deal to me. Players should have a voice.

Wow, I came on expecting Lukaku (and the other players, he did say WE asked Roberto, after all) to be getting a bit of praise due to them spotting a problem and trying to rectify it. Instead, I find Lukaku getting bombed.

I didn't see anything wrong with the article - I doubt Rom went looking for an interviewer but one found him and asked something along the lines of "so, the team performed miles better against West Ham, is there a particular reason for that or are things just finally clicking?"

I'll be honest the biggest indication of the article is that Rom likes to talk a bit too much. What he's done is wrong.

The cheeky fucker has been strolling and sulking, and Martinez backed him verbally in the press, not once slating him. He gets dropped for 2 games, decides to put a shift in and say it's because the players needed to indulge his style of play which of course was down to him.

Dissent IMO. Maybe Rom needs to take heed of what Naismith said.

Dissent?! :rofl: He was interviewed after his impressive performance and gave his opinion...

Wow, I came on expecting Lukaku (and the other players, he did say WE asked Roberto, after all) to be getting a bit of praise due to them spotting a problem and trying to rectify it. Instead, I find Lukaku getting bombed.

I didn't see anything wrong with the article - I doubt Rom went looking for an interviewer but one found him and asked something along the lines of "so, the team performed miles better against West Ham, is there a particular reason for that or are things just finally clicking?"

Spot on.

Well lets just see what happens as a result of this, for a non story it seems to dominate all the news aggregators. For me it would have been wise if Rom said "we can mix it up as and when required - I haven't been doing enough and hopefully this is the start of a good run for me"

He has said too much, too soon and in all honesty it just does not sound good. Whether it was Rom or Jags or anyone else, it was not wise.

Well lets just see what happens as a result of this, for a non story it seems to dominate all the news aggregators. For me it would have been wise if Rom said "we can mix it up as and when required - I haven't been doing enough and hopefully this is the start of a good run for me"

He has said too much, too soon and in all honesty it just does not sound good. Whether it was Rom or Jags or anyone else, it was not wise.

I'm surprised by your reaction, was last time too, considering your job.

I work for a huge company, and we are constantly told to challenge our boss with new ideas rather than follow instruction, with the belief that its not the people who do the work under instruction from the boss, but that the boss is part of the team and together, we can address problems, reoccurring issues, etc. more efficiently and successfully. It means the team is everyone, workers and boss instead, because the boss isn't always right. We are also then told to share our success stories, to celebrate what we've done right by communicating that.

I've said all along, Lukaku has suffered because he is playing in a style he is not comfortable with, like many of the other players (namely the defence) and its been ineffective and the reason why we haven't progress. Our seasons has stuttered and finally stalled under this unrelenting belief in a system that is not working this year (don't care about last year, thats been and gone).

"Romelu Lukaku has revealed that Everton players asked Roberto Martínez to change to a more direct approach before their 1-1 draw against West Ham in the FA Cup on Tuesday."

This is constructive feedback given to the boss from the team, telling him we need to change because the boss is so stubborn he won't change his philosophy himself - remind you of anyone? The difference being, our boss now listened, took the information on board and let them have a go in what is essentially a nothing game (I mean that in terms of not losing points in the game, exiting the cup would've been upsetting but not the end of the world). The players responded by putting in a much better performance on the whole, as the team had a point to prove.

I'd love to see the questions before the quotes you know. It would go a long way to putting this to bed.

Edited by Matt

I'm surprised by your reaction, was last time too, considering your job.

I work for a huge company, and we are constantly told to challenge our boss with new ideas rather than follow instruction, with the belief that its not the people who do the work under instruction from the boss, but that the boss is part of the team and together, we can address problems, reoccurring issues, etc. more efficiently and successfully. It means the team is everyone, workers and boss instead, because the boss isn't always right. We are also then told to share our success stories, to celebrate what we've done right by communicating that.

I've said all along, Lukaku has suffered because he is playing in a style he is not comfortable with, like many of the other players (namely the defence) and its been ineffective and the reason why we haven't progress. Our seasons has stuttered and finally stalled under this unrelenting belief in a system that is not working this year (don't care about last year, thats been and gone).

"Romelu Lukaku has revealed that Everton players asked Roberto Martínez to change to a more direct approach before their 1-1 draw against West Ham in the FA Cup on Tuesday."

This is constructive feedback given to the boss from the team, telling him we need to change because the boss is so stubborn he won't change his philosophy himself - remind you of anyone? The difference being, our boss now listened, took the information on board and let them have a go in what is essentially a nothing game (I mean that in terms of not losing points in the game, exiting the cup would've been upsetting but not the end of the world). The players responded by putting in a much better performance on the whole, as the team had a point to prove.

I'd love to see the questions before the quotes you know. It would go a long way to putting this to bed.

We are encouraged to challenge and offer opinion - absolutely.

What happens is we sit in an office round a table and anything that is said in the room stays in the room with "the outcomes" being action points.

We don't leave the room and announce to the world what happened! - that completely undermines the leadership.

What Rom has done is shown a great deal of immaturity and to an extent spite. Its as though he is trying to excuse his poor performances by way of blaming style of play.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-saviour-romelu-lukaku-8403267

I think Martinez puts his point across in a very subtle manner here... It wasn't the style it was Roms attitude. Being dropped then kicked made him "up for it" - personally £70k a week and just wearing the blue shirt would make me up for any game.

We are encouraged to challenge and offer opinion - absolutely.

What happens is we sit in an office round a table and anything that is said in the room stays in the room with "the outcomes" being action points.

We don't leave the room and announce to the world what happened! - that completely undermines the leadership.

What Rom has done is shown a great deal of immaturity and to an extent spite. Its as though he is trying to excuse his poor performances by way of blaming style of play.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-saviour-romelu-lukaku-8403267

I think Martinez puts his point across in a very subtle manner here... It wasn't the style it was Roms attitude. Being dropped then kicked made him "up for it" - personally £70k a week and just wearing the blue shirt would make me up for any game.

We don't have it in our contracts to speak to the press though! If Jags or Ossie had come out and said the exact same thing, would you be so annoyed?

Anyway, example of what question could've brought that response:

"Hi Rom, great game for you and improvement all round. After a poor season so far, with a formula which was so successful last year, the tactics seem to have changed in that last game and you (all) benefited from it. Why the change?"

Leading question, would explain the answer and whats wrong with it? This is what I mean with the situation of the quote. If you say stats can be misleading, so can cherry picking parts of an interview.

I agree he should be motivated to play 100% of the time, but he isn't the only player to lose motivation out of frustration and be dropped. He has shown signs of immaturity that every human suffers from during times of frustration. Im 10 years older and last year was bloody hard work and frustrating. Did I put in my best performances every day? No, simple as, because every time I tried someone or something put up a barrier and sometimes I thought "fuck it, I'll get through today and hopefully tomorrow will be better".

oh, and of course Martinez isn't going to say it was down to the change in style, the style he has said he will not change even though its not working. That would mean him admitting he needs to change and doesn't like that.

Of course he is going to say its down to his man management. Its about what he did to change things, not the team.

He prides himself on both of those things; his philosophy and man-management. So stubborn though, he refuses to change his approach and talk in blind faith in front of clear problems. Take the tan away, give him a ginger wig and a voice modulator, and see if you can spot the difference.

Edited by Matt

We don't have it in our contracts to speak to the press though! If Jags or Ossie had come out and said the exact same thing, would you be so annoyed?

Anyway, example of what question could've brought that response:

"Hi Rom, great game for you and improvement all round. After a poor season so far, with a formula which was so successful last year, the tactics seem to have changed in that last game and you (all) benefited from it. Why the change?"

Leading question, would explain the answer and whats wrong with it? This is what I mean with the situation of the quote. If you say stats can be misleading, so can cherry picking parts of an interview.

I agree he should be motivated to play 100% of the time, but he isn't the only player to lose motivation out of frustration and be dropped. He has shown signs of immaturity that every human suffers from during times of frustration. Im 10 years older and last year was bloody hard work and frustrating. Did I put in my best performances every day? No, simple as, because every time I tried someone or something put up a barrier and sometimes I thought "fuck it, I'll get through today and hopefully tomorrow will be better".

I said in a few posts earlier, I would be just as annoyed if it was Jags - this isn't due to Roms performances. This is his ego rearing its head again and he needs to focus on football.

The lad is supposedly intelligent. Players get intensive training on how to deal with the media. This was not the response we needed to see.

For some it was exactly what they wanted to see. Someone has to be to blame for the team performances and rightly or wrongly that man is Martinez. There's a load of "I told you it was RM" going on.

I said all along we need to clear our lines quicker and get it away from Jags and Distin. But I also said there are players who are not performing. 1 game and Rom comes out as if everything is ok cos he had a word with the boss.

Just wrong. Simple as that. Devisive behaviour.

oh, and of course Martinez isn't going to say it was down to the change in style, the style he has said he will not change even though its not working. That would mean him admitting he needs to change and doesn't like that.

Of course he is going to say its down to his man management. Its about what he did to change things, not the team.

He prides himself on both of those things; his philosophy and man-management. So stubborn though, he refuses to change his approach and talk in blind faith in front of clear problems. Take the tan away, give him a ginger wig and a voice modulator, and see if you can spot the difference.

How do you know this??? He deals with things behind closed doors and whilst its frustrating when things aren't good its a good sense of mystery when things are great.

He has backed Rom when it has been clear that Rom has been bloody awful at times. He's excused him, playing through injury, world cup etc etc etc to take pressure off him. The reality is that Rom has been downright lazy, sulky and a disgrace to be honest.

The manager has shown a lot of faith in Rom and this is how he's repaid? One decent game and Rom talks as though he's a new player because of him asking the manager to change his style! He did this at the world cup by trying to get wilmots to play Fellaini up front... http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/belgium-v-russia-world-cup-2014-romelu-lukaku--let-fellaini-help-me-up-front-9554387.html

There have been 3 games this season where Rom has played to a standard that is acceptable - his latest his best, the previous 2 times his following game has been poor....

I said in a few posts earlier, I would be just as annoyed if it was Jags - this isn't due to Roms performances. This is his ego rearing its head again and he needs to focus on football.

The lad is supposedly intelligent. Players get intensive training on how to deal with the media. This was not the response we needed to see.

For some it was exactly what they wanted to see. Someone has to be to blame for the team performances and rightly or wrongly that man is Martinez. There's a load of "I told you it was RM" going on.

I said all along we need to clear our lines quicker and get it away from Jags and Distin. But I also said there are players who are not performing. 1 game and Rom comes out as if everything is ok cos he had a word with the boss.

Just wrong. Simple as that. Devisive behaviour.

Because he is; managers tactics/philosophy, managers players, managers responsibility. I know you raved about him, and I know you've acknowledged its been his fault of late too, so I don't understand that sentence at all.

He didn't have a word with the boss, the Everton players had a word with the boss:

"The players were asking about going more direct. I asked them, and we all said to the manager: ‘Can we play a bit more direct sometimes?’ We have a style of play where we keep the ball a lot, but knew we needed to take more responsibility, play to my strengths more, and they did it perfectly."

He also didn't say everything is ok, he said they played better in that game, and in particular his performance improved because the style of play changed to suit his strengths (which I've been saying since day 1).

“We mixed up how we played a bit more, at times we were a bit more direct. For me that makes it easier, because when I am one v one, running on a defender, that gives me a better chance.”

Huge difference between what was said in the article and what you're writing there (which in fact, isn't even close to be correct).

What about my point about cherry picking part of the interview and having a go at "the lad" based on snippets?

How do you know this??? He deals with things behind closed doors and whilst its frustrating when things aren't good its a good sense of mystery when things are great.

He has backed Rom when it has been clear that Rom has been bloody awful at times. He's excused him, playing through injury, world cup etc etc etc to take pressure off him. The reality is that Rom has been downright lazy, sulky and a disgrace to be honest.

The manager has shown a lot of faith in Rom and this is how he's repaid? One decent game and Rom talks as though he's a new player because of him asking the manager to change his style! He did this at the world cup by trying to get wilmots to play Fellaini up front... http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/belgium-v-russia-world-cup-2014-romelu-lukaku--let-fellaini-help-me-up-front-9554387.html

There have been 3 games this season where Rom has played to a standard that is acceptable - his latest his best, the previous 2 times his following game has been poor....

Based on the fact he hasn't changed anything and has said he won't change:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/9619146/premier-league-everton-wont-change-playing-style-despite-sitting-in-bottom-half-of-ladder-says-roberto-martinez

thats how I know it.

Because he is; managers tactics/philosophy, managers players, managers responsibility. I know you raved about him, and I know you've acknowledged its been his fault of late too, so I don't understand that sentence at all.

He didn't have a word with the boss, the Everton players had a word with the boss:

He also didn't say everything is ok, he said they played better in that game, and in particular his performance improved because the style of play changed to suit his strengths (which I've been saying since day 1).

Huge difference between what was said in the article and what you're writing there (which in fact, isn't even close to be correct).

What about my point about cherry picking part of the interview and having a go at "the lad" based on snippets?

so he along with others had a word with the boss - so he did or he didn't? - sorry shall I use a collective? Cos it only seems that its Rom who has revealed the details of the chat - on behalf of his teammates of course.

Matt - you make excuse after excuse for the lad. Fine I get it. I praised him to the hilt the other night for his performance - what do you want a Rom amnesty??? The lad should have shut his mouth.

Would you have seen a Man United player or Chelsea player do this to SAF or Mourinho??? No chance - because its not the done thing. They would be dropped for that.

ONE GAME - ONE GAME. We were 3 minutes away from going out of the cup and all of a sudden we are super great because Rom said the lads had a words with the manager and told him where he was going wrong. You would have thought we played them off the park and won 5-0 or something...

Time out from this one... I've said my piece. Rom played well but he needs to know when to shut his mouth.

so he along with others had a word with the boss - so he did or he didn't? - sorry shall I use a collective? Cos it only seems that its Rom who has revealed the details of the chat - on behalf of his teammates of course.

Matt - you make excuse after excuse for the lad. Fine I get it. I praised him to the hilt the other night for his performance - what do you want a Rom amnesty??? The lad should have shut his mouth.

Would you have seen a Man United player or Chelsea player do this to SAF or Mourinho??? No chance - because its not the done thing. They would be dropped for that.

ONE GAME - ONE GAME. We were 3 minutes away from going out of the cup and all of a sudden we are super great because Rom said the lads had a words with the manager and told him where he was going wrong. You would have thought we played them off the park and won 5-0 or something...

Time out from this one... I've said my piece. Rom played well but he needs to know when to shut his mouth.

Maaaaaybe because it was Rom who was interviewed? Crazy thought that, only him responding if only he was interviewed.

He was asked a question, a question which we don't know what it was, nor if something is being taken out of context. You ignored my question about leading questions unsurprisingly.

Alternatively, he could sit there and say nothing. Except he cannot if an interview has been agreed to.

I'm not making excuses mate, I disagree with him voicing an opinion as being a problem and then correcting you when you're making stuff up.

Don't care about the other teams, and even if someone did I wouldn't have an issue with a player expressing his opinion. We don't run a dictatorship, there is freedom of speech.

Yes, its one game where even you have recognized a massive difference. There is still plenty of work to be done, no one denies that, so I don't get your point, again...

Edited by Matt

Martinez smiled at it when asked about the player meeting...Just simply said it happens all the time, it's normal.

The look on his face was for once sarcasm, as if he just found it funny that people don't think this kind of thing goes on all the time.

Only difference this time is that Rom was interviewed, and we all know how he likes to talk don't we.

Maaaaaybe because it was Rom who was interviewed? Crazy thought that, only him responding if only he was interviewed.

He was asked a question, a question which we don't know what it was, nor if something is being taken out of context. You ignored my question about leading questions unsurprisingly.

Alternatively, he could sit there and say nothing. Except he cannot if an interview has been agreed to.

I'm not making excuses mate, I disagree with him voicing an opinion as being a problem and then correcting you when you're making stuff up.

Don't care about the other teams, and even if someone did I wouldn't have an issue with a player expressing his opinion. We don't run a dictatorship, there is freedom of speech.

Yes, its one game where even you have recognized a massive difference. There is still plenty of work to be done, no one denies that, so I don't get your point, again...

I've criticised many players for speaking out of turn before so don't pull that one on me. Mirallas in the WC stating Januzaj shouldn't be in the squad. Phil Neville on more than one occassion, JT in the world cup, Pienaar several times. Players with their agendas using interviews to exert pressure.

Freedom of speech ah that old chestnut, its a great philosophy until its used to cause trouble.

Just so happens that the best managers don't suffer their players talking to the media about things they shouldn't and guess what, better players than Rom have been made to fall for the same.

Martinez smiled at it when asked about the player meeting...Just simply said it happens all the time, it's normal.

The look on his face was for once sarcasm, as if he just found it funny that people don't think this kind of thing goes on all the time.

Only difference this time is that Rom was interviewed, and we all know how he likes to talk don't we.

A thousand words have been encapsulated in one paragraph. The demeanour of one and how he likes to keep his counsel. And how the other just likes to talk.....

Between all that is a discussion that will take place that we will probably never find out about...

Rome, Romelu, Rome, Romelu, Rome, Romelu.... Hafnia hates Lukaku!

*repeat three times

I dislike players who think they are better than they are and think they don't have to work hard is what I put the other night..... If the shoe fits then so be it.

Edited by Hafnia

I've criticised many players for speaking out of turn before so don't pull that one on me. Mirallas in the WC stating Januzaj shouldn't be in the squad. Phil Neville on more than one occassion, JT in the world cup, Pienaar several times. Players with their agendas using interviews to exert pressure.

Freedom of speech ah that old chestnut, its a great philosophy until its used to cause trouble.

Just so happens that the best managers don't suffer their players talking to the media about things they shouldn't and guess what, better players than Rom have been made to fall for the same.

Not pulling anything on you, pointing out he was asked a question and he answered it. I know you don't like players talking, you are consistent. I just don't get it at all. No need to get tetchy!

So, lets not have any? Insane thing to say...

Lukakus interview, like any player, will be signed off by the club beforehand. If Martinez doesn't want his players speaking, he should get the media coordinator to sort it out. Except its just not a big deal, so he doesn't bother.

Not pulling anything on you, pointing out he was asked a question and he answered it. I know you don't like players talking, you are consistent. I just don't get it at all. No need to get tetchy!

So, lets not have any? Insane thing to say...

Lukakus interview, like any player, will be signed off by the club beforehand. If Martinez doesn't want his players speaking, he should get the media coordinator to sort it out. Except its just not a big deal, so he doesn't bother.

Who's getting tetchy, i'm remaining subjective on the matter.

I don't think a tape recording gets signed off Matt. But now you know that Martinez doesn't bother to get the media co-ordinator to sort things out???

You are being pedantic around interviews. Players are schooled thoroughly on what how to close answers and that is why you get the cliches. If the likes of Ross, Rooney and co have the ability to not cause a storm with their answers then I would guess a multi lingual like Rom can do it. He's chosen not to do it.

Just read this, we'll leave it there for now eh...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9094442/belgium-boss-marc-wilmots-believes-romelu-lukaku-should-do-his-talking-on-pitch

Who's getting tetchy, i'm remaining subjective on the matter.

I don't think a tape recording gets signed off Matt. But now you know that Martinez doesn't bother to get the media co-ordinator to sort things out???

You are being pedantic around interviews. Players are schooled thoroughly on what how to close answers and that is why you get the cliches. If the likes of Ross, Rooney and co have the ability to not cause a storm with their answers then I would guess a multi lingual like Rom can do it. He's chosen not to do it.

Just read this, we'll leave it there for now eh...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9094442/belgium-boss-marc-wilmots-believes-romelu-lukaku-should-do-his-talking-on-pitch

And you're pedantic about ignoring points. Subjective is last on a list of things when it comes to this lad.

Where did I say I know that? There are media coordinators in all clubs and organisations who control what questions can be asked by the press and to who. They're usually reviewed before the interview even takes place. Thats a standard practice for any media interview that I've seen or been part of, so I assume its applied to our team to. I will admit thats an assumption. Comparing Rom to the likes of Rooney and Barkley is plain silly; neither are capable of remembering anything but cliches.

Who caused a storm?! You seem to be the only one with an issue here. Hardly storm mate.

I don't care what the national team coach thinks either. You could argue that the manager should be keeping his opinions to himself, as it can be damaging for the player. But you shouldn't argue that, because its nonsense. Its my opinion that a player has the right to share his opinion. Simple as that. Or should I not be making my opinion public, you know, for the good of the forum? :dry:

Edited by Matt

Sorry Shukes, missed this. Even the boss is labeling its as over-sensationalized by the media and that its nothing.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2015/01/08/boss-on-lukaku

Lets leave it there ;)