IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. However it falls on to Martinez again. He has to get more out of him. If he can't do it he needs to move on and get someone else in who can!

I agree, Martinez needs to get the cattle prod out and use it on Rom 5 mins before kick off.

He has indulged him too long. Blown smoke up his arse when he needs a slap. Get the gloves off with him. He's a big boy and clearly has a mind of his own.

No I think it's you who has misinterpreted it Duncan. Okeefe is basically saying that too much is made of what type of ball or service he gets. He had a mixture and played well and it was his attitude that was telling, not the type of pass.

I've read it several times and its clear to me that okeefe is identifying that Roms attitude is the key, not the pass as he didn't just receive one type all night.

Really???

I think its another example of you only seeing what you want to see in order to back up your point, Read the first two sentences again

"The long balls, the short balls, the slow ones and the fast ( that's referring to the service/ type of pass by the way ) all helped Romelu Lukaku deliver his best performance of the season.

But so did being dropped"

Now to me that would indicate he is saying its the lack of service AND his attitude / desire.

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Really???

I think its another example of you only seeing what you want to see in order to back up your point, Read the first two sentences again

"The long balls, the short balls, the slow ones and the fast ( that's referring to the service/ type of pass by the way ) all helped Romelu Lukaku deliver his best performance of the season.

But so did being dropped"

Now to me that would indicate he is saying its the lack of service AND his attitude / desire.

Two sentences?! I'll just ignore the other 90% of the piece where he goes on about work rate, one good game then a poor game and the need for Rom to work as hard as he did after being dropped for two games. Quoting naismith etc etc.

Other than the 90% you ignore, it seems that okeefe says Rom played well in spite of having slow short passing to deal with.... So my conclusion is that work rate was the common denominator in his point.

It's not one or the other. Yes, he was up for it the other night. Yes, he had been dropped prior, so he had a point to prove. And, yes, he was given significantly more service. Did he look more up for it because he had been dropped or because he was finally getting some service? You can't answer that, as you're not Lukaku. His words seem to point towards him being happy about getting some service. Though, he probably understandably wouldn't want to talk about having been dropped.

Also, did he get more service because he was working harder? Or did he get more service because the game plan was to get the ball to him more often? This you can't say. Through the stories that have since come out, it seems like the latter. But, of course, he wouldn't have gotten to some of the balls if he wasn't working harder.

The bottom line is that some people are going to have a narrative about Lukaku being a lazy git who relies on his natural gifts but has no can-do attitude. Some people's go-to narrative will be about Lukaku being understandably frustrated on the pitch, as he's our biggest asset and we don't play to his strengths. Some people will just scream "Martinez out!" and cry for Bill to go get Vellios and Count Stracqula back.

Two sentences?! I'll just ignore the other 90% of the piece where he goes on about work rate, one good game then a poor game and the need for Rom to work as hard as he did after being dropped for two games. Quoting naismith etc etc.

Other than the 90% you ignore, it seems that okeefe says Rom played well in spite of having slow short passing to deal with.... So my conclusion is that work rate was the common denominator in his point.

Ok Haf I give in , what does "But so did" translate to in your world?

I wasn't aware that I had ignored anything , I said it a bit of both ( attitude and service) so can you also please explain which bit Im ignoring?

So when O'keefe said

Just read it again and Im even more confused by your world now.

So when O'keefe said " The long balls, the short balls, the slow ones and the fast all helped Romelu Lukaku deliver his best performance of the season" . Please explain how " all helped" equates to in spite of?

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Mangala was awful. Don't know why we didn't put more pressure on him.

Not as bad as Mcgeady. What an utterly shit footballer that lad is. Never seen a bigger one trick pony as him in all my life. Step over toe poke it down the line, burst of pace and cross.

That is alls he has in his locker his touch isterrible his control is terrible his passing is terrible and he runs into trouble and loses the ball time and time again.

Absolute liquid dog shit.

Not as bad as Mcgeady. What an utterly shit footballer that lad is. Never seen a bigger one trick pony as him in all my life. Step over toe poke it down the line, burst of pace and cross.

That is alls he has in his locker his touch isterrible his control is terrible his passing is terrible and he runs into trouble and loses the ball time and time again.

Think you're over-rating him personally.

OK I know some folks do not rate Lukaku,and I respect those opinions.

So tell me who wehave who is better in the role? Nobody?

In that case tell me who we could buy who is better in the role? Nobody?

In that case should we drop him and play with just 10 men on the pitch?

I know the lad is far from perfect but we are not exactly Barcelona right now either, nor do we have a fantastic amount of money to turn us into a top top side.

Agreed he was awful again. Waste of wages that lad.

Coleman was equally as bad going forward though. The lads having a shocker of a season. He can't penetrate defences anymore wry rarely beats the full back. If the reports of £20m bid coming are true I'm swaying towards letting him go.

Wow !

So you don't rate him, "an utterly shit footballer "....." Absolute liquid dog shit ".

I'd say, the bloke does his best, maybe he is found wanting, but to insult an Everton player like that :doh:

Lukaku thrives on space in front of him and if you can get the ball to him with open ground ahead he is very very dangerous. Direct balls from deep defensive positions or quick counter attacks are Lukaku's game.

The negative effect this team has had on Lukaku is very evident from the last couple of games. Our previous slow build up with the opposition positioning themselves in banks of 4 on the edge of the 18 yard box has done the lad no good.

Lukaku thrives on space in front of him and if you can get the ball to him with open ground ahead he is very very dangerous. Direct balls from deep defensive positions or quick counter attacks are Lukaku's game.

The negative effect this team has had on Lukaku is very evident from the last couple of games. Our previous slow build up with the opposition positioning themselves in banks of 4 on the edge of the 18 yard box has done the lad no good.

I think there will be some telling stats. Places where he took a touch of the ball etc etc. The executioners bong usually does something pretty good like this.

If you haven't watched match of the day Haf I suggest you see Shearers discussion on Lukaku. He was absolutely terrific.

I watched it on sky and motd. I thought lukaku was very good.

Observations:-

He's fitter. Clearly. I mentioned that I thought after the world cup he looked heavy, not fat, heavy. Why the fuck he wasn't as fit as he should be I don't know.

He is mentally up for it. Massive change. Call it confidence if you want but I think a fires been lit under his arse. This is the biggest difference for me. He engages his marker and takes on the challenge. Earlier this season he looked offended if someone got tight to him. Now he looks like he accepts it and has a go.

I am pleased with him. I don't think it's as much down to the team style, more the team tempo. I think he understands what is needed from him. Long may it continue.

An example that was key was when he missed the pass to naismith, if he timed it then nais was through. Ok it didn't happen. But he was alert to the pick up, and again it didn't come off and zabaleta hand balled it. They went the other end and scored. In another game I'd have gone nuts but he was showing willing and endeavour. He took on his markers with aggression and intention.

I watched it on sky and motd. I thought lukaku was very good.

Observations:-

He's fitter. Clearly. I mentioned that I thought after the world cup he looked heavy, not fat, heavy. Why the fuck he wasn't as fit as he should be I don't know.

He is mentally up for it. Massive change. Call it confidence if you want but I think a fires been lit under his arse. This is the biggest difference for me. He engages his marker and takes on the challenge. Earlier this season he looked offended if someone got tight to him. Now he looks like he accepts it and has a go.

I am pleased with him. I don't think it's as much down to the team style, more the team tempo. I think he understands what is needed from him. Long may it continue.

An example that was key was when he missed the pass to naismith, if he timed it then nais was through. Ok it didn't happen. But he was alert to the pick up, and again it didn't come off and zabaleta hand balled it. They went the other end and scored. In another game I'd have gone nuts but he was showing willing and endeavour. He took on his markers with aggression and intention.

This bit, there was no need to include this.

Can we just be honest and say he's getting a lot more space to run at defenders and he's looking good at it. He hasn't got his back to goal all game. Tactics have changed, especially the stupid sideways passing game.

This bit, there was no need to include this.

Can we just be honest and say he's getting a lot more space to run at defenders and he's looking good at it. He hasn't got his back to goal all game. Tactics have changed, especially the stupid sideways passing game.

Why not??? It's balanced FFS. I haven't held him accountable for their goal as zabaleta hand balled it. I used it as an example that in a different game he may have held his hands on head after the first phase. He didn't, he was there for the next ball and tried to be positive. That's what I want to see! Mistakes can happen, lack of effort or conviction shouldn't.

He was very good. But sorry its not down to style, he has played with his back to goal today and did well. He can do it. Shearer picked up on that part. If anything his overall game has been very good and does not suggest the need to make him a one dimensional player.

Rom deserves great credit for raising his game, but the management team need to be aware of his "triggers" and traits. He is still a kid in this regard and this is where he does need sorting out to maintain his levels.

I don't think our style has changed much at all. We just look a bit quicker to the desicion. That second touch is coming faster.

I actually thought Rom did hold the ball up much better, he spread his arms more to stop them getting in front. He made himself big.

I don't think this thread is Hag against Rom at all. More of a MC v Haf.

Try to read the posts for what they are and not look too hard for a way to pick holes in the post.

I don't think our style has changed much at all. We just look a bit quicker to the desicion. That second touch is coming faster.

I actually thought Rom did hold the ball up much better, he spread his arms more to stop them getting in front. He made himself big.

I don't think this thread is Hag against Rom at all. More of a MC v Haf.

Try to read the posts for what they are and not look too hard for a way to pick holes in the post.

If you cant tell the difference then Im afraid you really don't know football at all

If you haven't watched match of the day Haf I suggest you see Shearers discussion on Lukaku. He was absolutely terrific.

Agreed Shearer was pretty much spot on with his analysis of both Lukaku and ourselves as a side so far this season

He's had his moments don't get me wrong where I've felt like having a meltdown watching him trying to win headers lazy movement etc but he has had absolutely shite service for the most part

Get the ball in space when he does make a run as he does find space quite often and there's not many better on the front foot infront of goal

Edited by EFC-Paul

If you cant tell the difference then Im afraid you really don't know football at all

I must not know football either then Dunc. Despite the fact that I know I do.

The thing is, Martinez and Lukaku have been getting simultaneously judged.

It's funny isn't it, Martinez biggest critics seem to be the biggest Lukaku fans. A very convenient stance to have if you want to support Rom whilst putting the boot into Martinez.

Supposedly Roms poor season so far is all down to short, slow passing which is also why the team have had poor results. Well my honest opinion is that Rom looked poor from January onwards last year. Let's be honest, from Jan to May last year we never played bad did we?

So based on that, what was Roms excuse then??? There isn't one. His poor performances from Jan onwards were the same type as what we seen up till two games ago - it's his attitude! He's had a kick up the arse and fair play he's responded.

The only difference I've seen is that we are moving the ball at a quicker tempo, not longer or direct. There is more movement from the players, better pressing. There is more urgency in our play. We care still fuckin about with it at the back and jags is doing my head in.

Other than that I'm like shukes. I know nothing.