IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I must not know football either then Dunc. Despite the fact that I know I do.

The thing is, Martinez and Lukaku have been getting simultaneously judged.

It's funny isn't it, Martinez biggest critics seem to be the biggest Lukaku fans. A very convenient stance to have if you want to support Rom whilst putting the boot into Martinez.

Supposedly Roms poor season so far is all down to short, slow passing which is also why the team have had poor results. Well my honest opinion is that Rom looked poor from January onwards last year. Let's be honest, from Jan to May last year we never played bad did we?

So based on that, what was Roms excuse then??? There isn't one. His poor performances from Jan onwards were the same type as what we seen up till two games ago - it's his attitude! He's had a kick up the arse and fair play he's responded.

The only difference I've seen is that we are moving the ball at a quicker tempo, not longer or direct. There is more movement from the players, better pressing. There is more urgency in our play. We care still fuckin about with it at the back and jags is doing my head in.

Other than that I'm like shukes. I know nothing.

Yes, but we were grinding out results

I don't think our style has changed much at all.

It really has, I don't know how anyone can say it hasn't to be honest.

It's not like the tippy tappy has disappeared, far from it, but we are mixing it up now, which is a change in style from what we've this season up until the West Ham game. You now have Robles kicking it long, or throwing it long, meaning we're getting the ball higher up the pitch quicker. Which has meant that Lukaku (and Naismith) has received the ball with more time to get it under control, turn and run at players or getting the ball out quickly to the wide players, creating mayhem. Before, our attacking players were receiving the ball surrounded by defending players, so couldn't really make anything happen. Then other occasions he'll roll it out to a defender and we'll build slowly, and we'll see our intricate play at work. Whereas before we had Howard rolling the ball out to a defender every single time, and we'd still be fucking around with it by our own area two minutes later. We now have defenders that will just clear their lines when we're facing danger rather than try and pass their way out, often creating more danger. We now have players willing to plop a ball over the top rather than just pass sideways hoping they can find a tiny opening - Besic put a lovely ball over a City defender for Coleman yesterday that had me drooling.

Haf's also right when he says the tempo has improved. A lot of that is due to us mixing it up, IMO. You get the ball in space, rather than surrounded by opposition players, then you're going to be able to make things happen a lot easier.

Lukaku isn't the only one who has benefited from a change in style, the entire side has - the defence, midfield and attack.

I must not know football either then Dunc. Despite the fact that I know I do.

The thing is, Martinez and Lukaku have been getting simultaneously judged.

It's funny isn't it, Martinez biggest critics seem to be the biggest Lukaku fans. A very convenient stance to have if you want to support Rom whilst putting the boot into Martinez.

Supposedly Roms poor season so far is all down to short, slow passing which is also why the team have had poor results. Well my honest opinion is that Rom looked poor from January onwards last year. Let's be honest, from Jan to May last year we never played bad did we?

So based on that, what was Roms excuse then??? There isn't one. His poor performances from Jan onwards were the same type as what we seen up till two games ago - it's his attitude! He's had a kick up the arse and fair play he's responded.

The only difference I've seen is that we are moving the ball at a quicker tempo, not longer or direct. There is more movement from the players, better pressing. There is more urgency in our play. We care still fuckin about with it at the back and jags is doing my head in.

Other than that I'm like shukes. I know nothing.

Do you ever take in what anybody else says?

Most people are in agreement that its a combination of his desire/work rate and the style of play/service

I honestly dont believe that you haven't noticed the change in the style of play over the last couple of games, especially as even the players and the manager have commented on it. I reckon its just you being your usual stubborn self and failing to acknowledge it because it goes against your view

If that isn't the case and you honestly haven't noticed the change in style then for once I am in agreement with you, you really don't know football

Do you ever take in what anybody else says?

Most people are in agreement that its a combination of his desire/work rate and the style of play/service

I honestly dont believe that you haven't noticed the change in the style of play over the last couple of games, especially as even the players and the manager have commented on it. I reckon its just you being your usual stubborn self and failing to acknowledge it because it goes against your view

If that isn't the case and you honestly haven't noticed the change in style then for once I am in agreement with you, you really don't know football

Have a look at my post in the other thread. I think you will find that I have accurately supported what I have said with stats. It supports what Romey says with regards the keeper.

The blend of short passes has not changed. It's just where we do the short passing. We are hitting long inaccurate balls from the back bar stones 3/3. We are conceding possession further up the pitch.

As I have said. We are clearing from the back, it is not successful in terms of possession but where we give them possession. When we have the ball in midfield it is short passes. FACT. The tempo of the passing and speed of movement and pressing is what is working.

Have a look at my post in the other thread. I think you will find that I have accurately supported what I have said with stats. It supports what Romey says with regards the keeper.

The blend of short passes has not changed. It's just where we do the short passing. We are hitting long inaccurate balls from the back bar stones 3/3. We are conceding possession further up the pitch.

As I have said. We are clearing from the back, it is not successful in terms of possession but where we give them possession. When we have the ball in midfield it is short passes. FACT. The tempo of the passing and speed of movement and pressing is what is working.

Ok Haf I give in, the players and the manager have absolutely no idea how they are playing or what they are talking about, we all bow down to your superior knowledge

Ok Haf I give in, the players and the manager have absolutely no idea how they are playing or what they are talking about, we all bow down to your superior knowledge

Don't take things so literal Dunc. We have tweaked our play from the back when needed, we still play short patient passing... It's not exactly barca to afc Wimbledon ya know.

Shearers analysis is spot on; should have better service and when he does he thrives, only young and learning the game, motivation issue due to frustration at the play...

If only someone had pointed that out sooner!

Matt, when we are getting somewhere you state his motivation is down to frustration.

Bollocks mate, absolute bollocks. He's doing fundamental things now that he wasn't before. These fundamental things like closing down, using his size, challenging with intent.

Anichebe got booed for this type of petulent lazy arsed brat behaviour. Lukaku gets a pardon?! Not in my book.

Maybe when he earns his mega money move to real Madrid he can coast around. But then again Benzema doesnt do that does he?

As it stands he's working hard and things look good for him but am I bollocks letting him off for being "frustrated", £80k a week and he was strolling around.

Matt, when we are getting somewhere you state his motivation is down to frustration.

Bollocks mate, absolute bollocks. He's doing fundamental things now that he wasn't before. These fundamental things like closing down, using his size, challenging with intent.

Anichebe got booed for this type of petulent lazy arsed brat behaviour. Lukaku gets a pardon?! Not in my book.

Maybe when he earns his mega money move to real Madrid he can coast around. But then again Benzema doesnt do that does he?

As it stands he's working hard and things look good for him but am I bollocks letting him off for being "frustrated", £80k a week and he was strolling around.

he was frustrated because of the style of play meant he couldn't perform, he let his head drop. I acknowledged he was playing poorly, just took longer because I could see a reason behind his poor form.

Anyway, he's done well in the last 2 games, for whatever reason. I'm just going to sit he and be smug :)

he was frustrated because of the style of play meant he couldn't perform, he let his head drop. I acknowledged he was playing poorly, just took longer because I could see a reason behind his poor form.

Anyway, he's done well in the last 2 games, for whatever reason. I'm just going to sit he and be smug :)

Its a bit like school reports. He is a model student in the subjects he's good at, but put him in a class he's not good at he stares out the window.

Not good is it. Especially when you realise its not that he's not particularly bad at those subjects, when he puts his head down he's quite good.

What do you do, let him skip those classes and give him a pat on the back for making nice drawings

Don't take things so literal Dunc. We have tweaked our play from the back when needed, we still play short patient passing... It's not exactly barca to afc Wimbledon ya know.

And when did I say we had turned into a hoofball side?

We have been much more direct in the last 2 games and that has meant Lukaku has been more involved. A 5 year old could spot the difference but if you choose to ignore it then that's up to you

Excellent use of the phrase "fully fit" from Martinez.

"He wasn't fully fit after the World Cup" "he is one of the best strikers in the world when fully fit"

Maybe Martinez will think he's the best striker in the world when he's "match fit".

I must know nothing then because to me they ate still trying to pass the ball sideways, they are still trying to keep the ball, they are still trying to pass from the back.

Even Martinez said he's not changing the style.

He has managed to get the players to express themselves more by mixing it up while playing the same system.

He has managed to get them playing at a higher tempo....much like last year.

I don't think he changed it this year...more the players didn't press as much and held on a little bit longer, but not due to a system change or design.

Could be way off though, only Martinez knows the truth.

You've done it now, Dunc :shaking fist: . Quick everyone, get this thread on ignore!

Ha ha - sad thing is I don't think many people pay too much attention to RM's interviews nowadays. He's like one of the teddies you squeeze and one of 10 phrases comes out of his mouth.

I'll be honest, he has waxed lyrical about Rom whilst he has been playing poor. Roms best repsonse came when he was dropped for two games. More stick, less carrot me thinks.

That is one of your oddest analogies, but it made me laugh!

Some "phrase" ideas for the Roberto bear:-

"I think we can take some real positives from todays game"

"he has an incredible attitude and appetite for the game"

"This game is a phenomenal experience for the players"

"He shows a real arrogance in his game which is pleasing"

Excellent use of the phrase "fully fit" from Martinez.

"He wasn't fully fit after the World Cup" "he is one of the best strikers in the world when fully fit"

Maybe Martinez will think he's the best striker in the world when he's "match fit".

You're right, he wasn't fully fit because he had a broken toe. I'd say last 2 games he's been match fit

I must know nothing then because to me they ate still trying to pass the ball sideways, they are still trying to keep the ball, they are still trying to pass from the back.

He has managed to get the players to express themselves more by mixing it up while playing the same system.

I don't think he changed it this year...more the players didn't press as much and held on a little bit longer, but not due to a system change or design.

That right there is the change. Previously we were so one dimensional and never went long, now we are mixing it up.

Nobody said it was a drastic change but its a definite change all the same.

Oh come on, there are people on here who can run off a broken toe in a couple of hours !

Can't run it off don't be stupid, it's broken. You just play through the pain.

I broke mine in two places, once the swelling goes down 1-2 weeks and you take ibuprofen before a game it doesn't hurt. Dull ache.

Ashley Williams played for many games with a broken Toe, Nani played with a broken Toe.

Barkley missed 2 weeks with a broken Toe.

Edited by Hafnia

We're not playing it out to the back four. We're not passing it back and forth between centre backs. We aren't playing the same way!