IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

Klopp didn't do anything wrong, I don't see why he needs to talk about another clubs manager.

He was disrespectful to Pullis, said he celebrated as it felt like a win, but give no commiserations or sporting comment to his fellow manager.

As for McLean, he's a stupid dick.

He was disrespectful to Pullis, said he celebrated as it felt like a win, but give no commiserations or sporting comment to his fellow manager.

As for McLean, he's a stupid dick.

I think he seen in a short space of time what we have seen for years, pulis is a thug manager. I like the fact he dissed him

RIP Jimmy Hill. Haven't seen it announced anywhere in here but what a pioneer he was. Very very underrated in what he did.

Football owes a lot to him.

I don't think he was underrated at all, got all the credit he earned and deserved.

Exact facts of the story lost in time, but my dad had a pair of his old boots which lived in our attic. Charity match or similar that dad got roped into at the last minute but had no kit and he got lent it and brought it home. Sadly ebay didn't exist back then :dry:.

Found out about that just before the game yesterday. Tbh, I thought he'd died years ago! :unsure:

Had alzheimers, cruel illness. Some of the things he helped pioneer were amazing.

He was a strong proponent of 3 points for a win, help lift wage cap, put in place first all seater stadium. Very forward thinking man.

lifting the wage cap was part of the reason we are now paying £40/50 a game good for the players not for supporters.

Most people now can't do what our dads did pay for 2 or 3 of the kids to go the game.

He helped abolished a £20 per week wage cap in 1961 when annual average wages were £1000 per year. He isn't the cause of astronomical ticket prices.

He created a better game as talented footballers would choose football to earn a living instead of something else.

If you think jimmy hill and wage cap contributed to the cause of big ticket prices then why does the bundesliga model work and still pay players well?

It's all very well having a wage cap at 120k a week, but having it at what would be the equivalent of £311 today means football would be a joke and the game would not exist.

Edited by Hafnia

the game existed for nearly 100 yrs before the wage cap was broken.

People play for nothing every week and people watch for nothing every week.

If you think they were only on £20 a week you are deluded they had bonus systems that were more than the basic wage.

You having a laugh? The game existed with players getting buses, having second jobs. It's no coincidence that England never had a sniff of any world cup till 66, 5 years after cap was abolished.

I'm not saying every player should be on £50k a week, but I'm saying having a professional footballers wage cap at £311 a week in today's money is taking the piss.

He helped abolished a £20 per week wage cap in 1961 when annual average wages were £1000 per year. He isn't the cause of astronomical ticket prices.

He created a better game as talented footballers would choose football to earn a living instead of something else.

If you think jimmy hill and wage cap contributed to the cause of big ticket prices then why does the bundesliga model work and still pay players well?

It's all very well having a wage cap at 120k a week, but having it at what would be the equivalent of £311 today means football would be a joke and the game would not exist.

As someone who was working in 1961 I would dispute that the average wage was a thousand quid pa (sorry, my pound sign doesn't work). It was more like 14 quid per week, 700 pounds per year. Footballers in those days earned far more than the average wage.

As someone who was working in 1961 I would dispute that the average wage was a thousand quid pa (sorry, my pound sign doesn't work). It was more like 14 quid per week, 700 pounds per year. Footballers in those days earned far more than the average wage.

Looking at a government website £960 it was. But the wage cap was £20 per week.

Haf, in 1961 I was married with a young son (and a mortgage). I worked in an Accounts Dept and was supervisor over about eight staff. I earned twelve pounds ten shillings per week (some will claim that I was overpaid even then!). I remember reading in the paper that the average wage was fourteen pounds per week and feeling miffed that I was on less. In those days, a 'thousand a year' was looked upon as something to aspire to. People like Doctors were on a thousand a year. I think the government data must have been collected in London.

I also remember the general amazement that 'footballers' were on a thousand a year.

Edited by johnh

The BBC's website really has to be one of the worst designed and poorest maintained sites in existence. Scores out of date, blogs missing posts, and why would any sane person want to see the results for the Championship above the table for League 2? Privatize the Beeb!!

Its been dreadful today for sure.

And you're English Steve, we say "privatise" :shaking fist:.

I know many on here prefer the thirteen man version of the egg-shaped ball game but I just have to record the fact that my local team, Exeter Chiefs, have just gone top of the Premiership! Even though it may be short lived they've come from virtually nowhere when I moved down here; crap stadium and rumbling round the lower leagues to mixing with the elite (home and abroad) in a great new ground. Astonishing, I must get to a game one of these days.

(and they were 10-17 behind early in the second half v Sale but came back to take it 33-17)

The BBC's website really has to be one of the worst designed and poorest maintained sites in existence. Scores out of date, blogs missing posts, and why would any sane person want to see the results for the Championship above the table for League 2? Privatize the Beeb!!

Another example of great reporting today after our game, "At the halfway stage of the campaign, they are five points worse off than they were at the same point last season..."

We're actually five points better off. Right number, just a slip of the brain by the reporter.

Actually heard a commentator say "hence why" on MOTD the other day, Lord Reith will be turning in his grave.

One commentator said Kone was getting a rare start today. Tbf unless your a frustrated Evertonian you'd not have noticed him since the hatrick.

Heard that also, it was, "...The Iviorian getting a rare start." Malaysian channel though so to be honest you can't blame the beeb for that.