IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i think he has really turned into a guy people root against.  when he first started winning he was "lefty" the guy you rooted for since he was different.  then the gambling thing came up, and then he fell off a cliff playing wise and has never been the same.  these antics today just reinforce how far he has fallen.

He had a few swing issues and didnt win for about 5 years but he won the WGC early this year, playing great. Even in those 'drought' 5 years he went close in a couple of majors (not sure about regular tournaments). He has just got older and like a lot of golfers in the same generation (Els, Singh, Tiger, David Love) they have their physical problems, they arent as consistent as they used to be and they play less tournaments. I think he has just naturally regressed rather than fallen off a cliff.

Just now, Bailey said:

He had a few swing issues and didnt win for about 5 years but he won the WGC early this year, playing great. Even in those 'drought' 5 years he went close in a couple of majors (not sure about regular tournaments). He has just got older and like a lot of golfers in the same generation (Els, Singh, Tiger, David Love) they have their physical problems, they arent as consistent as they used to be and they play less tournaments. I think he has just naturally regressed rather than fallen off a cliff.

he's had the off field gambling issues as well which might have been draining him.  owed 2 million to just one bookie, he's got a serious problem

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/phil-mickelson-paid-vegas-businessman-nearly-2-million-gambling-debt/

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

he's had the off field gambling issues as well which might have been draining him.  owed 2 million to just one bookie, he's got a serious problem

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/phil-mickelson-paid-vegas-businessman-nearly-2-million-gambling-debt/

He is worth around $375 million so I doubt he would lose too much sleep! Mickleson has always been a big gambler so I suppose you dont know how many more bookies he owed!

Tommy Fleetwood is in with a shout posting 2 over.

Reed keeps battling away and Koepka is still leading by making some great up and downs but he isn'tt fully in control. DJ looks a little rattled though but he has the game to turn it around in an instance.

Its just because there is a larger proportion of men at the high end of elite sport especially in the sports where the big bucks are made, rightly or wrongly. Why would companies pay scientists to research a market that they make a fraction of the profit? Why would sports scientists who want contracts or referrals with elite male sportsteams research iniuries to women? 

For example if you Google netball trainers you will find lots of options. How many of these were tested and developed on men? 

I expect there will soon be a booming market in womens football and similar womens sport. Whoever starts that bandwagon rolling will make lots of money.

Anyone have any thoughts on the female commentator on BBC?  Personally I think she is dreadful. Dreary tone, absolutely no personality.  But it seems she is exempt from criticism cos she is female.  The female panalist is also garbage.... trying way too hard.  She's not alone Phil Neville is woeful too. 

It's not sexism. Hazel Irvine for my money is the best anchor on tv. 

Clare Balding is up there too. 

The commentator your talking avout is very boring but the BBC seem to like their pundits that way! 

Aluko has been mixed. Sometimes I thought she sounds like she has done her homework and then she will say something which completely misses the point. The fact she has done her homework puts her 1 up on most of the men though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Wow -- David Silva has always seemed like such a stand-up guy, and I really wish him and his child well. Reading stories like these make me so thankful that my little girl hasn't had to go through that and really feel for the parents that do.

• 2 weeks later...