IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Ian Wright being a total twat here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45177178

Shame because I respect the guy but he's talking nonsense and imagining racism where it doesn't exist. Very unhelpful.

The rifle tattoo uproar might be tinged with a bit of racism, to be fair. Honestly I think we have another thread about a former player of ours criticizing his lifestyle choices that seems to have a bit of it as well.

But I agree that criticism of Sterling’s play doesn’t have anything to do with his race.

3 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

The rifle tattoo uproar might be tinged with a bit of racism, to be fair. Honestly I think we have another thread about a former player of ours criticizing his lifestyle choices that seems to have a bit of it as well.

But I agree that criticism of Sterling’s play doesn’t have anything to do with his race.

Exactly, he’s just not that good. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Stokes not guilty..... fookin joke. 

Whole trial was a joke imo, few blokes have a punch-up outside nightclub; hold the front page! Happens multiple times in every town and city (and sometimes outside the village pub) every weekend across the country. What was exactly the point of this fiasco, all the participants were charged so who exactly was the victim? Nobody; so why the need to lay out shedloads of money for it to go to court? Madness.

Stokes and the other bloke shook hands as they left the dock; the police should've made them shake hands outside the nightclub, given them a warning, told to grow up and then sent them on their way.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Whole trial was a joke imo, few blokes have a punch-up outside nightclub; hold the front page! Happens multiple times in every town and city (and sometimes outside the village pub) every weekend across the country. What was exactly the point of this fiasco, all the participants were charged so who exactly was the victim? Nobody; so why the need to lay out shedloads of money for it to go to court? Madness.

Stokes and the other bloke shook hands as they left the dock; the police should've made them shake hands outside the nightclub, given them a warning, told to grow up and then sent them on their way.

Definitely agree Mike but the testimony of the bouncers didn’t help they ramped it up looking for their 15 minutes of fame, just hand bags no pun intended being that 2 of them were Gay. 

The money on would be better used in getting kids out of poverty for no fault of their own, makes you sick 🤢 how this country squanders money. 

11 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Stokes and the other bloke shook hands as they left the dock; the police should've made them shake hands outside the nightclub, given them a warning, told to grow up and then sent on their way.

To a point I agree but it's more and more commonplace people getting knocked unconscious and cracking their heads on the floor often resulting in death.   

Many people have done less than stokes and found themselves inside. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

What I want to know is why wasn't Hales on trial when the video shows him stomping on someone's head?!

25 minutes ago, hafnia said:

To a point I agree but it's more and more commonplace people getting knocked unconscious and cracking their heads on the floor often resulting in death.   

Many people have done less than stokes and found themselves inside. 

It's part of British culture unfortunately and has been for a long time. I was brought up in Guildford and we used to get the squaddies over from Aldershot on Friday and Saturday night causing chaos (came to Guildford because Aldershot was covered by military police). Guildford, the archetypal middle class commuter belt town literally had no-go areas for locals at the weekend; groups of people + alcohol = violence in the UK sadly. Went to Derby day at Epsom once, violence everywhere, wouldn't go again. I got attacked leaving a cricket match in Chelmsford once (fortunately it was in the days I could defend myself). If every victimless punch up went to court the system would grind to a halt under the weight of it.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Real passion for the game.  Coentrao cancels his Real Madrid contract and joins boyhood club Rio Ave in Portugal. States “I was born poor, I don’t mind dying poor”

👏

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3619029/fabio-coentrao-takes-pay-cut-to-leave-real-madrid-i-dont-mind-dying-poor

That's a lovely story and all, but he's not going to die poor is he? There's such thing as being able to save money and I'm sure he was able to save a lot while he's been on big money during the rest of his career.

I dont think lower league clubs should have to pay an upfront fee for any academy player. The wage contribution clauses seem reasonable though. 

The biggest issue is kids being hoarded to PL academies of which we are one. We have bought a fair few kids who have never seen the bench for the first team when they would have been better off staying and playing for the sides they were at. You cant stop players moving where they want though and most will move for the money and prestige. I suppose you could say that all youth players at a certain age earn a set amount of money but that will negatively impact the smaller clubs. You could try and set local area restrictions to try and keep the kids at clubs x miles from their home town but I dont think that will work either. 

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I dont think lower league clubs should have to pay an upfront fee for any academy player. The wage contribution clauses seem reasonable though. 

The biggest issue is kids being hoarded to PL academies of which we are one. We have bought a fair few kids who have never seen the bench for the first team when they would have been better off staying and playing for the sides they were at. You cant stop players moving where they want though and most will move for the money and prestige. I suppose you could say that all youth players at a certain age earn a set amount of money but that will negatively impact the smaller clubs. You could try and set local area restrictions to try and keep the kids at clubs x miles from their home town but I dont think that will work either. 

great points bailey.  agreed matty foulds and others were bought thinking they would get time and have just been in the u23 and will probably be loaned back to the same league they came from!!  then sold to that league!!  

something needs to be done, although you do wonder why the clubs buy these players if they can't even get a shift on their lower league loan side?  why buy them in the first place if they aren't good enough?

47 minutes ago, Bailey said:

. I suppose you could say that all youth players at a certain age earn a set amount of money but that will negatively impact the smaller clubs. You could try and set local area restrictions to try and keep the kids at clubs x miles from their home town but I dont think that will work either

I'm sure that's already a rule just clubs get round it by getting the parents to move. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

great points bailey.  agreed matty foulds and others were bought thinking they would get time and have just been in the u23 and will probably be loaned back to the same league they came from!!  then sold to that league!!  

something needs to be done, although you do wonder why the clubs buy these players if they can't even get a shift on their lower league loan side?  why buy them in the first place if they aren't good enough?

They buy them on the off chance that one comes good. Look at Stones and Holgate from Barnsley. I dont know how many games they played for them but Id bet it was less than a season, we take a punt and pay less than £10mil and now they are worth closer to £100mil combined. It does seem a bit pointless if you buy another 20 players for £90mil and they dont make it but you would expect most to make some return.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

I'm sure that's already a rule just clubs get round it by getting the parents to move. 

I think it is at a really young age but not when they start signing professional contracts. 

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Serena Williams, what a bad loser; the ultimate "do you know who I am?" personality. Total lack of sportsmanship and completely spoiled the occasion for the Japanese lass who beat her, the crowd were dreadful also.

she has always been the same sadly Mike.