IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Joel has been suspended for four weeks, and fined £10K. Sam has been fined £5K, but don't think he's been suspended.

The wheels have come off at Wigan in recent weeks and this is just the latest thing.

My sister played in a footy tournament in Liverpool, and I met some of the Wigan’s female team. They said the whole club seems to have lost the plot. Doesn’t sound good for them

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Joel has been suspended for four weeks, and fined £10K. Sam has been fined £5K, but don't think he's been suspended.

Bit harsh on Sam maybe? He didn't appear to do much as far as I could see (only watched it once though) although he could possibly have tried to get his brother out of the place; I'm guessing Joel is the elder of the two?

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Bit harsh on Sam maybe? He didn't appear to do much as far as I could see (only watched it once though) although he could possibly have tried to get his brother out of the place; I'm guessing Joel is the elder of the two?

He is, by two or three years. 

Theyre going to decide about his future at the club too. Which I find funny because we’ve just signed a player for next season who is currently banned for taking cocaine. Not to mention we resigned another player after their drugs ban was over a few years ago too 🙄

10 hours ago, hafnia said:

I've been in some pissed up states but I can happily say I've never been abusive like that. 

Likewise, anyone who gets like that after a session needs to stop drinking. I was always a happy drunk, in one of my locals many moons ago I was christened "Fozzie" because after the odd one too many I used to apparently wander around looking like the bear of that name on the Muppets:).

Image result for fozzie bear

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Likewise, anyone who gets like that after a session needs to stop drinking. I was always a happy drunk, in one of my locals many moons ago I was christened "Fozzie" because after the odd one too many I used to apparently wander around looking like the bear of that name on the Muppets:).

Image result for fozzie bear

I drink a fraction of what I used to.  The 4 day depression after a heavy weekend got too severe. Simple as that. 

The majority of people who drink are ill equipped to cope with what it does to them.   A very dangerous drug indeed. Sadly governments want the population pissed.... they make out they don't but they do.  Too much money too be earned from tax and just like the Victorian days it will anaethatise any unhappy people and prevent uprisings. 

A sober population is very troubling for the state. 

23 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Said on the radio he's leaving at the end of the season anyway but given the rest of your post it does seem a bit hypocritical.

It’s Sam that’s leaving at the end of the season. 

I’d not be sad to see Joel go, but if they use this as a means to get rid it’d take the piss. 

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s Sam that’s leaving at the end of the season. 

I’d not be sad to see Joel go, but if they use this as a means to get rid it’d take the piss. 

Sorry misunderstood, knew that Joe's future was under review, though you were saying Sam's was too.

20 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I drink a fraction of what I used to.  The 4 day depression after a heavy weekend got too severe. Simple as that. 

The majority of people who drink are ill equipped to cope with what it does to them.   A very dangerous drug indeed. Sadly governments want the population pissed.... they make out they don't but they do.  Too much money too be earned from tax and just like the Victorian days it will anaethatise any unhappy people and prevent uprisings. 

A sober population is very troubling for the state. 

Interesting thought. Maybe that's why they're looking like they're not going to follow Scotland's "minimum unit price" rule; not that I think that's the answer to the problem (although it would help pubs stay in business if the whole country did it and I'm all for that). 

2 hours ago, johnh said:

Never, ever been drunk in my life - not even on wedding anniverseries.☺️

Keep it that way John, after all those years at your age you'd probably get the mother of all hangovers:P. I've never made any secret about my turbulent relationship with the stuff over the years, and my forefathers. My granddad died living on the street a hopeless alcoholic (before I was born) after his experiences in WW1; my dad was a heavy drinker but I'd not class him as alcoholic. He built a bar in our house though and by the age of 13/14 I was sneaking behind it and filling up an old TCP bottle with small measures from each bottle and taking it to school the next day, lifting my desk lid and having a hidden slurp. By 16 getting served in pubs (easy back then) and then when I started work at 17 two hour pub lunches were the norm for all of us so I joined in (unsurprisingly). Became what is called a "functioning alcoholic" by my mid twenties (needed copious amounts before I could leave my flat for work in the morning but still did my job very well so my employers turned a blind eye) until at 33 it nearly killed me. Best part of a year in hospital and rehab I was then "poacher turned gamekeeper" and trained as an addiction counsellor while not touching a drop for 17 years or so.

Now I'm happy to say I can enjoy a four pack watching footie or a single pint in a pub without the need for oblivion; though I still get the odd hangover when led astray:(. Meanwhile my son has never had more than one can/bottle in a day in his life and on the few occasions we find ourselves in a pub he almost always has a coke, and he'll be 22 next week; hopefully the family battle will finally be put to bed in his hands:).

We've talked about this subject before on here but as Haf said, "a very dangerous drug indeed" that if it was discovered today would be class A without question. 

20 hours ago, MikeO said:

Keep it that way John, after all those years at your age you'd probably get the mother of all hangovers:P. I've never made any secret about my turbulent relationship with the stuff over the years, and my forefathers. My granddad died living on the street a hopeless alcoholic (before I was born) after his experiences in WW1; my dad was a heavy drinker but I'd not class him as alcoholic. He built a bar in our house though and by the age of 13/14 I was sneaking behind it and filling up an old TCP bottle with small measures from each bottle and taking it to school the next day, lifting my desk lid and having a hidden slurp. By 16 getting served in pubs (easy back then) and then when I started work at 17 two hour pub lunches were the norm for all of us so I joined in (unsurprisingly). Became what is called a "functioning alcoholic" by my mid twenties (needed copious amounts before I could leave my flat for work in the morning but still did my job very well so my employers turned a blind eye) until at 33 it nearly killed me. Best part of a year in hospital and rehab I was then "poacher turned gamekeeper" and trained as an addiction counsellor while not touching a drop for 17 years or so.

Now I'm happy to say I can enjoy a four pack watching footie or a single pint in a pub without the need for oblivion; though I still get the odd hangover when led astray:(. Meanwhile my son has never had more than one can/bottle in a day in his life and on the few occasions we find ourselves in a pub he almost always has a coke, and he'll be 22 next week; hopefully the family battle will finally be put to bed in his hands:).

We've talked about this subject before on here but as Haf said, "a very dangerous drug indeed" that if it was discovered today would be class A without question. 

I was lucky in that my parents didn't drink.  We never saw alcohol of any kind when growing up, even at Christmas. I'm fortunate in that I enjoy a drink but am happy with one glass of wine or one pint of beer. Impressed with how you conquered the demons there Mike, the boy done good.

23 hours ago, johnh said:

I was lucky in that my parents didn't drink.  We never saw alcohol of any kind when growing up, even at Christmas. I'm fortunate in that I enjoy a drink but am happy with one glass of wine or one pint of beer. Impressed with how you conquered the demons there Mike, the boy done good.

It was the opposite for me. Drink played a major role in our extended family. The only person who turned nasty though was my dad. That’s when the beatings and shouting started in our home. He never learned, and we simply tried to avoid him. If he was at the Working Men’s Club, then it was time for an early night. 

14 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

It was the opposite for me. Drink played a major role in our extended family. The only person who turned nasty though was my dad. That’s when the beatings and shouting started in our home. He never learned, and we simply tried to avoid him. If he was at the Working Men’s Club, then it was time for an early night. 

Must be dreadful that, only had one occasion when my dad got really out of order; it was a New Year's Eve when I was probably 7/8 and it was "only" verbal but I can remember it like it was yesterday.

My uncle, dad's big bro, was a teacher who ended up as a Dean at Sussex University (nicest/kindest/most fun man I ever met https://www.theguardian.com/education/2008/jun/03/mainsection.obituaries ) wrote chillingly about his father's drinking in his memoir; it's an astonishing read especially as he tells how he tried to look after my much younger dad when shit hit fan late at night. Bizarrely the next morning every time, he wrote, all was normal and grandma sorted out granddad's lunch for work and kissed him goodbye. Maybe they hoped the kids slept through the nightly battles, don't know.

On 04/06/2018 at 21:43, MikeO said:

I find it amazing that your brain when exposed to alcohol now hasn't gone "ahhh there you are! More more more!!!". You must have been a drinker through a different pathway to many.

I read into the science behind addiction because i couldnt understand how people can become "physically addicted" to gambling etc.

In the main it appears that the brain in many addicts release endorphins when taking in alcohol or betting on a race etc (bodys own morphine endo-phine) and our brains have opiate receptors getting stimulated with this.... the actual alcohol or gambling isn'tt what the person is addicted to - it's their own endorphins. Essentially they get the cravings like a heroin addict would.... when quitting the brain adapts to the shortage of endorphins and creates more receptors which are there ready just in case the person does the addicted activity again.

Read up on Kenny sansom..... he started doing something which is a massive success in Sweden- taking a drug that shuts down the opiate receptors before drinking.  Eventually the brain detaches the connection of drinking and getting high... the problem is that if he drinks without shutting the receptors off first that go berserk and crave more.

The fact is this.... there is medical intervention to stop the disease of addiction.   Too much money is made by the vicious circle of rehab and abstinance.  The problem is the cure involves old past-patent drugs ... no money to be made.   Scandalous.  

8 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I find it amazing that your brain when exposed to alcohol now hasn't gone "ahhh there you are! More more more!!!". You must have been a drinker through a different pathway to many.

It's unusual I know, very few (%wise) go from full on to social and I feel lucky in that I have. That said I'm always very cautious because I know the risks so if I've had a day or two I'll back off for a while; maybe the counselling training helps......eg I know that a "craving" will only last for a short while, twenty minutes or so, so if I ever get one it's easy enough to get through.

24 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

what are the UK laws on marijuana?  is it legal over there?  i've always found that to be a lot safer to alchohol, when they legalize it in my state the wife and i have both said we'd like to switch over to that instead of having a glass of wine.

Not legal but nobody with a small amount for personal use will ever be prosecuted. Of course it should be legal.....although I'm not a fan personally, I don't enjoy the effect. Wife loves it though and she has a brother in Amsterdam so she enjoys it when we visit😂.

13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not legal but nobody with a small amount for personal use will ever be prosecuted. Of course it should be legal.....although I'm not a fan personally, I don't enjoy the effect. Wife loves it though and she has a brother in Amsterdam so she enjoys it when we visit😂.

at least they don't prosecute the small amounts.  here the for profit prison system throws anyone in jail to make money, small time drug offenders being some of their favorites.

14 hours ago, MikeO said:

agreed, I don't smoke it myself but if the government was to allow it like in Amsterdam at certain locations, the gov could make a bit of money from tax, lower crime rates related to drugs (although not all) and free up some police time for them to focus on other crimes.

23 hours ago, aaron said:

agreed, I don't smoke it myself but if the government was to allow it like in Amsterdam at certain locations, the gov could make a bit of money from tax, lower crime rates related to drugs (although not all) and free up some police time for them to focus on other crimes.

The police would be fucked. Without their drug crime stats it'd highlight how little they actually do.