IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

Just looking at the live feed of the London marathon finishing line; loads of people still clicking a button on their watch to "accurately" record their time (they're all chipped anyway so will get the correct time anyway) and at the moment they're crossing in just under six hours:lol:. Fair play though, I couldn't do it; did a half once in just under two hours with zero training though, I came 4,485th out of about 12,000B).

10 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

I run because I enjoy being fit, not because I am a masochist.

I ran my half because a barmaid at my local I had the hots for ran them, said she was running it so I said I'd do it with her and entered......couple of weeks later she got the boot and I had no way of contacting her; cue much hilarity and piss-taking from my mates. It became a matter of honour that I went through with it (and fair play to one mate who ran it with me despite not being entered so he had no number). Funny thing was it was on a Sunday morning about thirty miles from home back in the days when pubs still shut at 2.00pm on Sundays; we raced back to try and reach the local for last orders and made it with about two minutes to spare. Mate was driving so I told him to drop me at the door and I'd get us a couple of pints each while he parked. Screamed to a halt, I jumped out of the car and my legs literally didn't work and I fell flat on my face:lol:. Still managed to crawl through the door (accompanied by lots more hilarity from the locals) and get the beers in. They went down a treat!

We used to have a fair few people crawl out of the place but I went down as the only person ever to crawl in:rolleyes:.

never liked a long run as a real youngster but as a young adylt I could run from Pinehurst Road, along Priory Road and around the outside of Stanley Park and back again in about 13 mins,  I loved it,  then I was hurt in a car accident, took a few illnesses and put on weight, never went back to running again.

Just catching up on this year's NBL, not a huge fan but I take a bit of interest in the play-offs (basketball for me is not a great TV sport though I've loved the few live games I've seen). Is this the tightest ever regular season table? Seems incredible.

Capture.PNG

18 hours ago, MikeO said:

Just catching up on this year's NBL, not a huge fan but I take a bit of interest in the play-offs (basketball for me is not a great TV sport though I've loved the few live games I've seen). Is this the tightest ever regular season table? Seems incredible.

Capture.PNG

Interesting here -- these are teams who are historically bad too. Honestly, if you asked me to name all the NBA teams, these would be the last 5 I would think of.

19 hours ago, MikeO said:

Capture.PNG

I played a lot of basketball during my National Service in the army, really enjoyed it but I think its the worst spectator sport in the history of sport.

41 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

You haven't watched baseball then.

I have actually.  When I was about 11 years old (1947)  my grandad took me to Goodison Park to watch a baseball game.  I think it was a team of American servicemen playing an American touring team.  More an exhibition game.  Don't remember much about it except when the ball was hit into the crowd and knocked a guy out cold who was stood only about 10 yards from us. Still think basketball is worse!

7 minutes ago, johnh said:

Still think basketball is worse!

I quite enjoyed it. In the late seventies Channel 4 signed a deal with the NBL to show some games and it looked like it might take off a bit, though it really never has to this day, even though the BBC now show games live online (I was watching one yesterday). Guildford, where I lived at the time, had Team Talbot playing at Surrey University and my kid bro went with his best mate (very tall lad, American dad, got a basketball scholarship in the US but never made it big) and I tagged along a few times. Worst TV spectator sport is (for me) ice hockey, pucked if I can see the bloody ball!

4 hours ago, johnh said:

I have actually.  When I was about 11 years old (1947)  my grandad took me to Goodison Park to watch a baseball game.  I think it was a team of American servicemen playing an American touring team.  More an exhibition game.  Don't remember much about it except when the ball was hit into the crowd and knocked a guy out cold who was stood only about 10 yards from us. Still think basketball is worse!

It's funny you say that. Besides the obvious fact that basketball uses hands and there are only 10 on the court, it has a lot of similarities to soccer when it comes to strategy. 

I'm terrible at it, but it's not bad to watch. Ironically, I was good at baseball but now I hate watching it!

I have never understood why basketball never became a major sport in the UK. Not questioning the indifference but when you see other European countries have major basketball teams and it has a quite big market nowadays, it is interesting to see the UK out of it. Quite surprising to see Deng and Anunoby there too.

17 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

It's funny you say that. Besides the obvious fact that basketball uses hands and there are only 10 on the court, it has a lot of similarities to soccer when it comes to strategy. 

I'm terrible at it, but it's not bad to watch. Ironically, I was good at baseball but now I hate watching it!

Its interesting that you say there are a lot of similarities to soccer but it depends on who is managing the soccer team.  if it is fat Sam, then I agree.  i.e. the ball goes up to the opposition end, possession is lost and it comes straight back.  Just like in basketball.😄

4 minutes ago, johnh said:

Its interesting that you say there are a lot of similarities to soccer but it depends on who is managing the soccer team.  if it is fat Sam, then I agree.  i.e. the ball goes up to the opposition end, possession is lost and it comes straight back.  Just like in basketball.😄

John, don't go there. :rolleyes:

:)

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:52, johnh said:

on the continent they play  a lot more handball than we do.

On 27/04/2018 at 09:14, johnh said:

I played a lot of basketball during my National Service in the army, really enjoyed it but I think its the worst spectator sport in the history of sport.

Agreed.

Team1 walk or trot while bouncing the ball. Shoot. Score. Team2 walk or trot while bouncing the ball. Shoot. Score. Team1 walk or trot while bouncing the ball. Oops - missed. Team2 walk or trot with the ball... Time to break for a commercial. Wow, that player is wearing Nikes.