IGNORED

Yakubu

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt like us to sell Yak ashe scores goals whereever he has played. but... Everyone is for sale if the right price is given.

What price would you put on Yak for you to be "happy" to see him go for?

£15m

Not a fan personally because for me his all round game isnt good enough. I'm more of a Saha fan to be honest.

A bit in the Guardian today

"Grant is expected to make the Everton striker Yakubu Ayegbeni his first signing for around £7m, with two players with whom he worked at Fratton Park - Kevin-Prince Boateng and the Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Jamie O'Hara - also on a wishlist of potential new recruits."

Think they can piss off for £7M!

A bit in the Guardian today

"Grant is expected to make the Everton striker Yakubu Ayegbeni his first signing for around £7m, with two players with whom he worked at Fratton Park - Kevin-Prince Boateng and the Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Jamie O'Hara - also on a wishlist of potential new recruits."

Think they can piss off for £7M!

Agreed! £7m for somoene with Yak's goal scoring record is a bit of an insult

http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/live/content.php?Item_ID=29108

The title is a load of shite, he says nothing of the sort in the article <_<.

Beat me to it Mark but it's intersting to think he could have been at Spurs, more so when you consider we finished better than them in that season by a good 3 places and he'd had a alright season the season before. wonder why he wanted to go so freely?? :blink:

I agree that Yakubu should stick to playing down the middle. If you want a channel runner, get Cahill to do that or whoever is playing off the striker. The only thing I ask of Yakubu so that he isnt labelled as lazy is to close down any player close to him when they have the ball and to actually chase a ball that comes near him (instead of standing and pointing). He doesnt have to run his arse off but he just needs to put some pressure on the defenders.

I agree that Yakubu should stick to playing down the middle. If you want a channel runner, get Cahill to do that or whoever is playing off the striker. The only thing I ask of Yakubu so that he isnt labelled as lazy is to close down any player close to him when they have the ball and to actually chase a ball that comes near him (instead of standing and pointing). He doesnt have to run his arse off but he just needs to put some pressure on the defenders.

Thank you Baily! Ive had this arguement somewhere else with several others, very well summed up!]

Im willing to give the Yak one last chance of proving he is worth top dollar. If he doesnt shape up by January, ship him out....

let not go down this road again Mark! He is lazy and 1 season of 20 goals doesnt mean he is worth top dollar, unless he can repeat the performances season after season.

In his other 2 seasons he's missed massive chunks so he you can't judge him on those. I prefer to judge him on his first season with us coupled with his seasons for Boro and Pompey where he banged in the goals. He is lazy but that doesn't mean he's not worth top dollar. AJ runs his bollocks off but I highly doubt you'd say he's worth top dollar.

I just don't see what we can do with £7m to replace him.

Perhaps Moyes feels Vic is ready to provide Saha with competition and will use the cash to sign Donovan. That or he thinks he can pull a bit of Moyes-magic with an obscure signing. Those are basically the only 2 scenarios I can think up right now.

Very odd if true though, especially seeing as Moyes was particularly vocal about the need for a proven goalscorer up front.

I've been a massive fan of the yak, he knows where the net is and he has a great ability to hold up the ball and pick a pass. My concern with him is that his only weakness is his attitude, i don't think he can stay at one club too long. His limited work rate has dropped and he looks like a player who has done his time for us. In an ideal world we would keep him and rotate him, the fact is we need a goal hungry striker to come in. Who that is? I do not know. I would say 9 million is about right for yak.

is £7mil really that bad? He hasn't played a lot for us recently and when he has he's looked out of shape and hardly banging them in. We only ever play 1 up front anyway and we only paid 11 for him a few years back. And considering a former target of ours, Nikola Zigic, just went to birmingham for around the same money, I wouldn't be surprised if Moyes held out for a couple mil more and then bought someone else. Someone who will probably be better for us, I mean if we did get Bellamy we'd have a player that is almost the polar opposite; fast, dangerous and able to produce some amazing goals like against manure.

It's not that bad a move, if he stayed he'd need to recapture his form and get in shape, while we all know what Moyes can do with a small amount of money: Jagielka £4mil, Cahill £2mil, Pienaar £2mil, Arteta £2mil...so realistically I'm not worried either way. Moyes won't do anything stupid in this transfer market, we had 2 defeats in 24 games second half of last season, there's no reason if we keep up that form why we can't get 4th next year, and that was mainly without Yakubu.