IGNORED

Twitter Transfer Rumours

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Makis said:

We already have Bernard & Iwobi for that position so rather spend that money on a right winger. Brands won't have hundreds of millions to spend and LM is way down in the priority list.

If we get the opportunity to sign him we have to, Bernard and Iwobi just aren't cutting it. Either could be moved on to the right to accommodate Grealish. 

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

We’re not going to get Grealish. He is locked on to a top four club easily. Not sure we could afford him either.

If Ancelotti and Brands want him the money will be found. Personally I'm not struck on him as a winger, he needs to be inside.

Its not the money on transfer fees we have to free up wages first.

Sando, Bolasie, Martina, Siggy, Schneiderlin, Niasse free up 500k a week in wages, plus whatever we get in fees, which wont be much more than say 50 million.

Once that is done I believe we need the following:

Centre Back

Back up left back

Right Wing

Centre Midfield

Apart from that we are good, we will then have 2 players for each position. 

2 hours ago, London Blue said:

Sando, Bolasie, Martina, Siggy, Schneiderlin, Niasse free up 500k a week in wages, plus whatever we get in fees, which wont be much more than say 50 million.

Centre Back

Back up left back

Right Wing

Centre Midfield

I agree with all of that, but we only have Bernard who can really play left wing for me. 

The left winger coming inside a lot has been a clear tactic since we’ve had Ancelotti. He likes his right winger wide and direct (that’s why Walcott has been important) and the left winger to come in field more - something Iwobi and Bernard can do (I think this role would suit Gordon too). Walcott may still have a role next season but I can certainly see a rapid and direct right winger being a priority signing.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I just don’t think Iwobi is going to be the answer. I liked how direct he seemed when he first arrived, now I’m just disappointed. 

Give him time, I think Carlo is using this season to see what different players have to offer. He needs games under Carlo so both he and he can see what he has to offer.

I agree with all this above.

I actually think we will get Lozano for the RM. Bernard is fine at LM in this 442 system. 
Get a proper athletic CM along with Gbamin back and Davies to back up Gomes.

CB 

RB is the only question mark.

Back up keeper until Virginia can challenge Pickford.

Theres a very, very good team in the making if we get these last few tweaks right.

18 hours ago, Makis said:

Neither is very good on the right. Buying Grealish is like when Walsh & Co bought all those #10s. Just because you can, you shouldn't. There are at least six positions that need strengthening before LM. 

Positions for reinforcement should be prioritised. To see the order of that priority we must look at our biggest downfalls in the squad. 

In goal we have Pickford and Lossl. It would be nonsense to replace either of those providing Lossl comes back, if so a back up goalkeeper wouldn't be expensive or any bother to sign. 

Mina, Holgate and Kean are not world beaters, but certainly not cause for concern. Added depth would be nice. 

Full backs are okay with the exception of cover for LB which needn't break the bank.

Gomes has that deep playmaking role nailed down now he's back. Along side him Gbamin is due to come back and with Siggy, Davis, Delph and Morgan all vouching for a place in the team, quality in that area should be addressed but not heavily invest in. 

Strikers seemed to be a problem a few months ago, however with Dom and Richy looking like a formidable pairing up top, and Kean looking improved under Carlo in his breif spells on the pitch, there is no reason to prioritise that area of the squad. 

That leaves us Wingers. Bernard is our most creative winger in terms of output. 3 goals and 2 assists in 12 starts and a total of 17 games is respectable but not ideal, he has 1.3 key passes per game.

Iwobi has managed 1 goal and 0 assists in 13 starts and 5 substitute appearances, he has 1 key pass per game.

Walcott is Walcott and I won't go any further on that.

Grealish has started all 25 of his appearances this season. He has 7 goals and 6 assists, averaging 2.8 key passes per game. Drifting inside from the left he fits perfectly into Ancelottis system and would allow Digne to get further forward into threatening positions, whilst actually posing a threat himself through the middle. 

It would certainly come at the expense of moving Bernard or Iwobi onto the right hand side, but both of these players in my opinion would do a better job than what our current first choice right winger would do in Walcott. 

Passing up the possibility of not signing Grealish would be nonsensical - that is providing he would even be willing to come. I think we should go all out for him and invest whatever is left into a CM and a CB. 

And for the record he is neither a number 10, nor a player who we would be concerned about fitting into our system like Sigurdsson. He would take us to the next level. 

Apologies for waffling on. 

I have watched Grealish a lot as a good friend is a Villa supporter. I started by saying he looks a right prick. Always moaning, going down easy ect ect. 
Now I have watched him closely, I have to say he will be England’s main man very soon. He is an excellent player already and can be become whatever he wants.

I hate admitting that I’m wrong, absolutely despise it, but I got him 100% wrong. 

On 26/02/2020 at 14:52, London Blue said:

Centre Back

Back up left back

Right Wing

Centre Midfield

And right back as at the moment we have three but one is unproven, one on loan (IMO not impressed enough) and third is ageing and only going to get worse. 

Having Grealish playing left wing will cause all the same problems as having Siggurdson there. Fine in possession but out of it and in transitions he would get lost. 

Grealish should be playing one of the attacking positions in a 3 man central midfield. You don't want him deeper because he switches off. If you were putting him into City's side, he would play in the KDB role.  

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

Having Grealish playing left wing will cause all the same problems as having Siggurdson there. Fine in possession but out of it and in transitions he would get lost. 

Grealish should be playing one of the attacking positions in a 3 man central midfield. You don't want him deeper because he switches off. If you were putting him into City's side, he would play in the KDB role.  

We're not signing Jack Grealish, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• 4 months later...