IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

On 02/01/2023 at 18:28, MikeO said:

What the hell?

I got them completely wrong this season. I really thought they would struggle. I also thought they would struggle with Toney when his inevitable ban comes but they were arguably better without him. 

Ill also whisper it quietly but the way in which Brentford have achieved much of their success comes down to their use of statistics, including their own version of xG.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Since, in my estimation, the only chance of survival this season will be three other teams proving to be even more crap than we are, tonight's results please...

Southampton/Forest draw, Leeds to beat West Ham and Wolves to lose at Villa🤞

Here we go again watching others' results. Everton that. 

41 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I think that overlooks what happened to his midfield at that time. 

It looks like the most regular pairing in the games that proceeded his sacking were Davies and Schneiderlin. In the Liverpool game (early Dec 2019) that ended his time Siggurdson played there.

Gomes had his injury at the begining of November, Gana was sold in the summer and replaced by the constant crock Gbamin. Delph was never fit anyway. 

He is a manager that relies upon controlling the midfield and that was never happening with the players he had left.

When I watch this Fulham side, I am not sure their success will be sustainable as they were gifted two goals by Chelsea midweek but he has been given the opportunity to build a squad in his mould and you only have to look at what he has done with Willian to see his man management skills. 

Leeds fans want Marsch sacked and are calling him Yank Lampard 🤣.

They are dodgy at the back (unsurprising given the quality of the players and how they try and dominate) but the rest of their football is pretty good and they are bloody entertaining! 

I think they need to be careful of what they wish for as they will get the points they need to survive in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

Leeds fans want Marsch sacked and are calling him Yank Lampard 🤣.

They are dodgy at the back (unsurprising given the quality of the players and how they try and dominate) but the rest of their football is pretty good and they are bloody entertaining! 

I think they need to be careful of what they wish for as they will get the points they need to survive in my opinion.

Marsch comes across as very naive, but I don't think he's a terrible manager. I'd say he's actually done a lot to end the stigma surrounding American managers in England (which was always pretty embarrassing).

I think he may get sacked though, around March (ironically). They're going to be right in it.

Has anyone the equalising Fernandes goal for United?

IMO that has to be given as offside against Rashford. He can't run to the ball, so that it almost touches him and then leave it for Fernandes that is onside. All of those defenders have acted so to play Rashford offside, he has all but touched the ball, and as a result it should be given as offside because he has heavily interfered with the decision making of those defenders.

If he was over by the corner flag and this happens it is a different story but you can't say he hasn't interfered with play.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Has anyone the equalising Fernandes goal for United?

IMO that has to be given as offside against Rashford. He can't run to the ball, so that it almost touches him and then leave it for Fernandes that is onside. All of those defenders have acted so to play Rashford offside, he has all but touched the ball, and as a result it should be given as offside because he has heavily interfered with the decision making of those defenders.

If he was over by the corner flag and this happens it is a different story but you can't say he hasn't interfered with play.

Completely agree, insane decision.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple things. Love to see the shite continuing to fail. 

But the thing I'm taking away most from this game is Brighton. There's been a lot of talk on here recently about them, and how they're the ideal of how to run a football club. You look at Mitoma and it's the perfect example. A player bought from the Japanese league, spent some time on loan in Belgium, and now he's one of the most exciting players in the league. 

God what it must be like to support a club who actually has a fucking plan in place.

1 minute ago, dunlopp9987 said:

A couple things. Love to see the shite continuing to fail. 

But the thing I'm taking away most from this game is Brighton. There's been a lot of talk on here recently about them, and how they're the ideal of how to run a football club. You look at Mitoma and it's the perfect example. A player bought from the Japanese league, spent some time on loan in Belgium, and now he's one of the most exciting players in the league. 

God what it must be like to support a club who actually has a fucking plan in place.

You mean hiring Sean Dyche isn't good planning?

16 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Eh I'm not all that bothered by his hiring. Who the fuck else was gonna take this job? 

If we are relegated, I pray we do a total overhaul and learn from the Brighton's of the world and come up with a proper fucking plan. 

If we are relegated I hope that Dyche is not part of any plan. An Everton in his image is not something I want to contemplate.

It could be a plan of desperation to stay up, but if we get relegated which I feel is a better than average possibility, then he is not the manager to rebuild and bring us back as a improved team with the science of football at the forefront of its development. I hope he isn't given money to throw at survival, only for us to be relegated and in a deeper financial mess than when he came in. The money for Gordon needs to be used wisely not squandered like the money we received from the Richarlison sale. If Dyche comes he has to show his worth by working with what's here, that would show us and the owners he's worth financially backing otherwise take us down and he gets fucked off, then we can start the rebuild with some funds to get us going. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

If we are relegated I hope that Dyche is not part of any plan. An Everton in his image is not something I want to contemplate.

I know what you mean but I don't want yet another manager. If we go down he's done the promotion part before.