IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

On 13/05/2023 at 15:00, Cornish Steve said:

From research I've been doing into the family of the grandfather I never knew, it turns out I have a cousin who plays for Luton - so I was disappointed they lost the first leg of their play-off against Sunderland today.

And that cousin scored the winning goal today as Luton made it to the play-off final.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65529573

9 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Texted a friend that they're gonna do the treble this year, he's 100% convinced they fumble the CL final again

That would not surprise me at all. They should have beat Chelsea a few years ago and absolutely bottled that, Inter have definitely got a good chance.

I think Guardiola has learned his lesson, if he tinkers too much they'll bottle it but if they just keep it simple they'll walk it. 

I want Inter to win, even though I love Pep but think that given how they've steamrolled Madrid will walk it in the final.

• 1 month later...

I watched a bit of Brighton vs Brentford pre-season last night and Simon Adingra stood out in Mitoma’s role - looked incredible actually and scored 2 goals. Turns out, Brighton signed him last summer and sent him on loan to their sister club, just like they did the year before to develop Mitoma so that when they lost Trossard, they weren’t weakened! Proper, forward thinking football club!

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I watched a bit of Brighton vs Brentford pre-season last night and Simon Adingra stood out in Mitoma’s role - looked incredible actually and scored 2 goals. Turns out, Brighton signed him last summer and sent him on loan to their sister club, just like they did the year before to develop Mitoma so that when they lost Trossard, they weren’t weakened! Proper, forward thinking football club!

Green with envy 

7 hours ago, c1982 said:

They are so far ahead but it isn't rocket science.

They aren't identifying players that other teams aren't, they are just taking the risk and backing themselves to find more stars than duds. They have a good network, albeit one I think needs to be looked at from an anti-competition point of view, and they have an excellent manager.

We wanted an owner that wanted to throw money left, right and centre at "stars" whilst other teams were doing things the right way and getting in young talent.

Bournemouth look to be doing a very similar thing over the last couple of windows too. From a completely different perspective, Chelsea are looking at bringing in some of the best young talent too, albeit at a higher price tag and a lot more risk.

The only problem they may have is that at some point the conveyor belt will break, like it did at Southampton.

On 27/07/2023 at 02:05, c1982 said:

I was there, and Adingra was outstanding.

What do people think about these owners that own multiple clubs? 

I think that whilst its allowed it is a really good idea because you can take a lot more risk and basically own a series of feeder clubs.

From a competition point of view it is a massive concern as it gives wealthier owners (and therefore football clubs) an unfair advantage. 

I think it is something that needs to be looked into by Fifa asap but until then Mohsiri needs to start finding another club to own and start buying some rough gems to send there! 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

What do people think about these owners that own multiple clubs? 

I think that whilst its allowed it is a really good idea because you can take a lot more risk and basically own a series of feeder clubs.

From a competition point of view it is a massive concern as it gives wealthier owners (and therefore football clubs) an unfair advantage. 

I think it is something that needs to be looked into by Fifa asap but until then Mohsiri needs to start finding another club to own and start buying some rough gems to send there! 

Great if you’re a supporter of the club being fed, but shit if you’re a supporter of one of the clubs being used as a feeder. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Great if you’re a supporter of the club being fed, but shit if you’re a supporter of one of the clubs being used as a feeder. 

Even if it means the feeder club gets players it would never have had the chance to without the other club? 

If its managed right it could see both clubs be successful, albeit not that I would like the idea of it myself.

As an example, look at the player United are looking to sign who was on their radar last season. He was a £20mil player then and now be is £70mil. If they had a feeder club, like some do, he either signs for United and goes on loan there or signs for the feeder club for £20mil and then signs for United this summer for a far lower fee. 

The feeder club get to watch a potential elite player for a year bang in goals for fun meaning they win more games. The parent club stack up a group of talented players preparing them for a step up to the big leagues for a fraction of the price in the seasons that follow giving them loads of room for FFP when they go and sign players from outside the owners portfolio of clubs. 

I don't see how it is fair.

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

Even if it means the feeder club gets players it would never have had the chance to without the other club? 

I understand where you are coming from in the calculated way improvising the parent club. Let’s say the Man U owners owned Mansfield and used Mansfield purely as a tool to improve themselves, as a Mansfield fan I who has a very emotional attachment to their club, and dream of one day being the best team in the country, whether realistic or not doesn’t matter that’s the dream the hope of every fan in the country that one day the club they love makes it to the top. So as a fan of Mansfield a feeder club to Man U my dream and hope that one day we become the best in the country have been killed because we can never be better than Man U because they own us and will stop that ever happening, and in doing so destroys my dream and relationship with the club I support, because dream no matter how impossible can never be achieved. So that’s why I say it’s a shit for the supporters of the feeder club.  

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

I understand where you are coming from in the calculated way improvising the parent club. Let’s say the Man U owners owned Mansfield and used Mansfield purely as a tool to improve themselves, as a Mansfield fan I who has a very emotional attachment to their club, and dream of one day being the best team in the country, whether realistic or not doesn’t matter that’s the dream the hope of every fan in the country that one day the club they love makes it to the top. So as a fan of Mansfield a feeder club to Man U my dream and hope that one day we become the best in the country have been killed because we can never be better than Man U because they own us and will stop that ever happening, and in doing so destroys my dream and relationship with the club I support, because dream no matter how impossible can never be achieved. So that’s why I say it’s a shit for the supporters of the feeder club.  

There would be nothing to stop Mansfield climbing through the leagues, albeit Im not sure if the rules allow it in the same country?

Its more likely that you will have say a French side and PL team. Not sure what the Champions League rules are though?

I watched both the "Summer Series" games today and it does worry me a little as the four teams I watched looked a lot sharper and more organised than we have.

Chelsea and Villa were the standouts. Chelsea look really good. They were a really young team and they were on it. James looks like he needs more time and they will have issues in the GK department too. I also think they could do with a genuine DM but they have so much quality in every other position.

Villa are playing football like they are a big club. They dominated the game and whilst they should have created more chances, I felt like it was a bit of rustiness rather than poor players. Pau Torres playing in a left back/ centre back position looked a possible avenue to exploit as I dont think he has the agility for the position (if he plays there in the season). 

Whilst I think they look sharp, Fulham and Brentford were disappointing. Fulham was obvious, they are lacklustre up front and whilst Bassey looked a good signing, they are bad at the back and shipped chances. They were one of the worst defensive sided last season too. They could be in trouble. 

Some might look at Brentford and think a 3-3 draw with Villa couldnt have been that bad but the first was a pen, the second was a screamer and the third was caused by a screamer that hit the bar. They wont do that every week. Brentford are a funny side because they often look crap and pop up with wins and draws you don't expect but Toney being out for so long is a huge miss and I think they could struggle to counter attack as well as they used to. Flekken looked a bit crap so if Raya goes, that would look to be a big downgrade too. I thought they looked very hollow in CM and they could struggle against dynamic teams.