IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

i will also be interested to see how it turns how.  he's a really nice player, but he is small and light weight, i don't know if he will be up to the physical demands of this league.

Don't know the player but similar to Bernard in build? Bernie's doing OK even though he's not lasting a full ninety.

Also not comparing talent-wise but Ossie was a prime example of what a "little" guy can achieve, Pienaar also.

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Don't know the player but similar to Bernard in build? Bernie's doing OK even though he's not lasting a full ninety.

Also not comparing talent-wise but Ossie was a prime example of what a "little" guy can achieve, Pienaar also.

yes similar to bernard but even skinnier if possible lol.  ossie was little but he wasn't easily bullied off the ball, also he grew up playing english football so he knew what to expect and adapted.  pienaar i didn't feel was ever bullied off the ball, he was so silky and would draw fouls a lot.  bernard would probably be the closest mike.

On 13/02/2020 at 16:50, MikeO said:

As MJB said he is skinnier and wirier. He looks like you could blow him over. 

Bernard does well when he can find space. When West Ham jumped all over him the other week he couldn't deal with it, but even so that's why I mentioned the position because if he is through the middle he will be up against aggressive and bigger central mids or centre backs as he advances rather than typically smaller and weaker full backs and wingers. 

It's no just because he is small, it's more that he is slight and to overcome that through the middle in this league and be consistent you need to be top notch. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

The thought that we were close to hiring moyes....... seriously. He would have taken us down.  West ham have shown absolutely nothing.... he has gone in to try and not get battered. Typical pen knife to gunfight stuff.

I thought exactly the same when I was watching. Playing to keep it at 2 down rather than trying to get back in the game. 

10 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’m more alarmed there were Evertonians championing us getting him back. I expect that shit from Kenwright because he’s a sentimental thing. 

I was more alarmed that Evertonians heralded him as someone who was going to be tough to replace.

Yes we have hired some dross but Martinez got very close to cementing something till he got carried away with himself.  After him we just threw darts at the board till we signed Carlo.

Moyes did a very good job for a short period and milked his Everton stay based on 2 years worth of good signings.  Yes he did arguably stop us going down but his last 3 years were so dull and he had stopped being fresh.... I knew aglfter he left us he would be crap.  He stopped evolving.

18 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I was more alarmed that Evertonians heralded him as someone who was going to be tough to replace.

Yes we have hired some dross but Martinez got very close to cementing something till he got carried away with himself.  After him we just threw darts at the board till we signed Carlo.

Moyes did a very good job for a short period and milked his Everton stay based on 2 years worth of good signings.  Yes he did arguably stop us going down but his last 3 years were so dull and he had stopped being fresh.... I knew aglfter he left us he would be crap.  He stopped evolving.

I could've understood our fans being ok with him coming back if he hadn't been such an abject failure ever since he left us. How could the answer to us failing at that time be to bring in a failure? With almost complete certainty I can say we wouldn't be thinking about European football for next season if we'd brought him back.

21 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I could've understood our fans being ok with him coming back if he hadn't been such an abject failure ever since he left us. How could the answer to us failing at that time be to bring in a failure? With almost complete certainty I can say we wouldn't be thinking about European football for next season if we'd brought him back.

This is what does my head in with many of our fans.... they see success as being something relative to their previous experiences rather than what goes on the honours list. 

Many fans under 30 get overly carried away with having an England international in the side or a player going for golden boot or a manager who got us into Europe league a few times.

Man United are as faraway from having a great side as we are but their fans will not tolerate shit that pretends to be success.... they know what they need to be seeing.  Ferguson has taught them well.....  whereas they aren't arsed that lukaku was bought in for big money, scored a few more goals than Rashford - they knew he wasnt the player to deliver a top finish in the prem.  Got rid and move on.... we still have fans begging Rom on Insta to come back.

They've got a world cup winner in Pogba, who when returning from the world cup has gone even worse with his attitude, again.... get rid. They aren't arsed that he won the world cup. They watched Ferguson ditch stam, RVN,  Beckham etc etc. 

Till many of our fans understand that people like moyes got very very rich at our club on very low risk,and that being held accountable for delivering silverware is the only thing that should be a goal - we will always get mark Hughes and David Moyes shouts. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Crazy it's took this long for them to get beat. 

Hopefully they've hit the "wall" after all their front running; they've not been great for a few games now. Sure our guys will have watched today and got some encouragement for the derby, bring it on.