IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

29 minutes ago, Bailey said:
3 hours ago, pete0 said:

I'd have a good long look at Aarons, Cantwell, Buendia and Hernandez. 

Buendia looked good on the eye, but when he got round the box his final pass wasn’t good and his shooting was poor. 
Hernandez looked physically strong and full of running but lacked the ability to make anything of it. 

Lewis, Cantwell and Aarons standout players for Norwich, and I agree with pundits Lewis was excellent. 

16 hours ago, MikeO said:

Arsenal, Chelsea and the two Manchester sides in the semis of the FA Cup.

Can anyone else come up with a more boring scenario?

To be fair, at least this way that extra European slot is likely to be available. Slim chance of us getting it but there is at least more hope than an outsider winning it.

I watched Kyle Walker-Peters for the first time at the weekend. Other than Ings for obvious reasons, I thought he was the standout player on the pitch. Defended really well, very composed and when he was on the ball he played smartly showing quick feet.

I don't know if he just had the game of his career but considering he isn't the biggest and Watford are one of the heftiest teams in the league he came through the game really well.

I know football is tribal but Klopp’s interview after the game shows he really is a ‘people’s person’!I know football is tribal but how anyone can defend his utter rudeness and arrogance is beyond me. Throw in the fact they’d just won the league shows his and Liverpool’s complete lack of class. 

5 minutes ago, barryj said:

I know football is tribal but Klopp’s interview after the game shows he really is a ‘people’s person’!I know football is tribal but how anyone can defend his utter rudeness and arrogance is beyond me. Throw in the fact they’d just won the league shows his and Liverpool’s complete lack of class. 

I didn’t see it what did he do/say?

I'm very surprised Arsenal beat Wolves. They are getting better under Arteta even when you consider their team is actually very poor. 

Utd getting better and better as well. I gave OGS a fair amount of shit early on when the media were loving him after that early run but he is sorting that side out piece by piece. They have given all the big sides a run for their money this season and with Fernández and that front 3 they are much more equipped to see off the sides that sit deep and try to frustrate them. 

I feel like next season is going to be very competitive!

Just watching the second half of the city game. Some top class football from City but Soton hanging on and could have even doubles the lead had Adams not shit the bed and pulled out of a 50/50. 

The Americans are in for a treat next session with David Silva going over whilst he's still got it. Could even inspire the young footballers and coaches over there to be more intelligent with there play rather than athletic. 

6 hours ago, pete0 said:

Just watching the second half of the city game. Some top class football from City but Soton hanging on and could have even doubles the lead had Adams not shit the bed and pulled out of a 50/50. 

The Americans are in for a treat next session with David Silva going over whilst he's still got it. Could even inspire the young footballers and coaches over there to be more intelligent with there play rather than athletic. 

has he announced the move yet?  i thought he wanted to go to Las Palmas and play for his childhood club

2 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Fair play to Sheffield United.  Kept hammering wolves and snuck a 93rd minute winner.  Probably my vote for team of the season. 

I thought the break had caught them out a bit but they are as awkward as ever again now.

This Sheffield Utd lot are a curious bunch. I don't think any of their players are actually genuine Premier League quality as individuals but as a unit they are formidable. 

Their success if built on being extremely hard to break down and that requires a lot of hard work and bottle. I thought it might be interesting to compare them to us, not least because there have been glimpses of a 532 from Carlo in recent games.

The biggest similarly is up front. They have two hard working centre forwards who can link really well with each other, they can both stretch the game or be physical if required. They also do a lot of defensive work but interestingly they tend not to defend too wide. They stop anything going through the middle.

Behind that they have a 3 man midfield. Typically two smaller nimbler types and the other is more of a bruiser. The key man is the guy in the centre. The two wider in the 3 cover both the centre and the wide channels. They stop any easy ball coming through the middle from the full backs or a deeper wide man. The guy in the middle orchestrates it all and has to not only be able to read the game well and organise the others, but he needs to be able to get himself around the pitch to shut down spaces created by the other two covering the wider channels. In attack the central man sits and the other two play like genuine box to box midfielders. They are encouraged to break forward where possible and support the front two. They both also therefore need to be athletic enough to get break forward from their defensive shape. We don't have anyone who fits either profile.

The back 5 from a defensive point of view is fairly straight forward. 3 big centre backs that can play a bit. The centre of the three is the organiser who sits, just like the midfielder. The full backs press quite high but also sit into their shape when it isn't on. They don't really seem to fly forward. They seem to tuck in a bit more and this is where it gets interesting because those wider centre backs are then encouraged to overlap the full back. When you think about it, if you have the players it makes a bit of sense. If the centre back gets caught upfield you still have 4 at the back plus a sitting midfielder. If it works out, you have created an easy overlap or 2 v 1 situation. Mina / Keane could play as the central man, but only Holgate would fit the wider centre back role, albeit I think it is one he could thrive in.

This means they can both sit in and defend with almost all 11 players behind the ball but also play out or counter attack really well as they have players getting forward and overlapping situations. Its simple football really. If you give them an inch they will take it.

Their success is all about getting the right players in. Wilder's task in the future, and it will be a tough task, is trying to bring in players that can replicate what these current crop are doing. 

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Good game that. Both sides look in good form. 

Clearly no-one told the Southampton players that they have nothing to play for and its only about trying out players and tactics. It looked as if they were trying to score, close down and make these ghastly things called tackles. Disgraceful.

Wouldn’t that be a dream if things like that happened in reality. 

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

And we thought we were bad. Wigan 7-0 Hull....and it's only half time!

I just had that sent to me, and that’s a relegation battle between them, Wigan are now out the relegation zone on goal difference against Hull, even had 12 points deducted for going into administration, great result if it keeps them up. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I just had that sent to me, and that’s a relegation battle between them, Wigan are now out the relegation zone on goal difference against Hull, even had 12 points deducted for going into administration, great result if it keeps them up. 

The 12 points haven’t been deducted from their total yet have they?

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

No but the point is that a win tonight (looking quite likely) will take them out of the bottom three on GD even if you include the deduction, and given their recent form a good shout that they can stay up.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’m not sure but I think they will, and when they do they will stay above Hull on goal difference, also read that there is a real chance that they fold completely, which would be another sad day for English football.