IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

47 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Other than to visit an uncle in Essex, I barely left Cornwall until I went to university. Plymouth was just across the river and different, but Exeter was on the edge of known humanity. When Saltash United played teams like Bristol Parkway, for example, it drew a crowd. Teams from up-country are big names, and Cirencester is farther away than Bristol. :) To actually win against such teams makes you feel that you've put yourself on the map.

For teams with players who are local labourers or technicians or farm workers or bank employees or gardeners, with everyone associated with the club being a volunteer, the perspective is rather different. They're not playing in a league where the difference between 9th and 10th, for example, translates to an additional 2m pounds. People who ordinarily are "nobodies" can feel special - even for a day. This is what makes the FA Cup special: every club gets a shot at it.

to make it special it requires the larger clubs as well like Everton to take it seriously, otherwise if it's just minnow clubs it's the EFL trophy and no one watches or cares about that.  Turns out Everton taking mickey mouse cups benefits your Cornish sides too.  Maybe us taking it seriously isn't so bad now 😉

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

to make it special it requires the larger clubs as well like Everton to take it seriously, otherwise if it's just minnow clubs it's the EFL trophy and no one watches or cares about that.  Turns out Everton taking mickey mouse cups benefits your Cornish sides too.  Maybe us taking it seriously isn't so bad now 😉

First of all, we're talking about the FA Cup. Those living in Britain (not meant as a jibe) know the prestige of the FA Cup. It's special, not least because non-league teams - even pub amateurs - have the opportunity to win a few games and then play against the high and mighty. There are many FA Cup traditions that remain in place after many decades (hymn singing before the cup final, for example), and upsets involving non-league teams (Yeovil's famous sloping pitch, for example) are talked about for years. There's just no equivalent for the League Cup, which involves only teams in the four professional leagues and has always been something of an orphan child.

Second, I wrote the original comment from the perspective of a small home-town team in Cornwall (I grew up in Saltash). Of course very small clubs would love to play a club like Everton. They'd reap a fortune, have their moment of fame, and locals would talk about it for years. But what about from Everton's perspective? Would it be a priority? Is it worth dropping points at the weekend in the league? By all means participate against such lowly opposition - I'm all for that - but play your B-team so it doesn't hurt you.

Third, I've made clear my point: it's a matter of priorities. The top priority, always, should be finishing as high as possible in the Premier League. This is the road to the Champion's League, and this yields the highest financial return by far. (Some may not like it that finances are a factor, but a quick look at current conversations at West Ham would soon settle that.) Second in priority would come Champion's League games. Next, joint I would say, would be Europa League and FA Cup. The downside of both is playing some obscure teams (and in the case of Europa, playing in Kazakstan on Thursday ahead of a league game on Sunday). Finally, at the very bottom, is the League Cup - with no prestige, no traditions, no non-league teams that make it unique, and pitiful prize money. Yes, it offers a route to the Europa League, but that's the second lowest priority in my list.

So, no change in opinion at all. For Saltash United and Truro City in the FA Cup, I'm delighted. For our game tonight in the League Cup, I hope we play our B-team.

Lampard making the mistake of buying round pegs and playing them in square holes. There isn't a feeling of balance and togetherness in this side. 

Crazy play from Thiago though. A player with his experience shouldn't be caught doing that. I said before the season that they needed to add defensive quality and I thought he might add that but today will definitely be a wake up call for him and Lampard! 

united are very overrated and have been for a long time, i don't think they'll even be top 6.  chelsea lampard pulling a Pep and going all out attack an buying more attackers, but with terrible defense.  i won't be worried about chelsea at all.  sure they have 3 deep in the midfield and forward positions, but they have no depth or quality in their backline or keeper (bar the new keeper we don't know his quality yet).  go at them and they will fold like a cheap tent.

city, shite, arsenal, wolves the ones i'm worried about.  all have quality around the park.  

Just now, Romey 1878 said:

Honestly don't know why anyone is worried about any of the other teams we're competing with for a European place. All this talk of "but I don't see who we're going to overhaul". We're not going to overhaul anyone because it's a new season, we're just going to take one of those places and make it ours.

i like this version of romey

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

Leeds away and they are dominating Sheffield.  Now that everyone has Sheffield Sussed out I think they will be relegation favorites.  Their old school defend first approach is wearing thin.

I don't think they will be relegated candidates but their "no fear, new to the league" approach was always going to serve them for a limited period. Wilder deserves a lot of credit for what he has achieved with them but I did say that they'd struggle this season, if I had to guess I'd say a 12th-14th place finish come May. 

Leeds on the flip-side have started very well, Biesla is a fantastic manager. 

17 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I don't think they will be relegated candidates but their "no fear, new to the league" approach was always going to serve them for a limited period. Wilder deserves a lot of credit for what he has achieved with them but I did say that they'd struggle this season, if I had to guess I'd say a 12th-14th place finish come May. 

They weren’t even good last season. They were awful at Goodison but we were even fucking worse!

28 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Biesla is one of my favorite managers that’s why I watch them.  Quality of players is still championship level.  Passing isn’t crisp.  But he has them running through walls. Their press is tenacious.

Anyone watching the spurs game? Dier just handled the ball in the box then they brough it back to an offside decision to see if carroll was offside by a hairline for 2 minutes, then another age to see of its a penalty and another disgusting decision for a hand ball 😂 its going to be horrible this season. 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Anyone watching the spurs game? Dier just handled the ball in the box then they brough it back to an offside decision to see if carroll was offside by a hairline for 2 minutes, then another age to see of its a penalty and another disgusting decision for a hand ball 😂 its going to be horrible this season. 

We need to sign players with a Tyrannosaurus Rex 🦖 arm’s, far less chances of conceding penalties that way 😆