IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Van Der Beek just done the same challenge as Davies yet Leeds don't get a pen even after var review. 

They are making a rod for their backs... It's going to cause broken legs for the kicker, what's next players rushing in with their heads when a player goes airborne for an overhead kick? 

11 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He’s frantically searching for some percentages. That whole spiel about percentage stats was bizarre and the sign of a man cracking up.

I’m loving it. The tosser. 

Loved him as a player ... Sadly he decided to forget what it meant to play for us. Gobshite, cheated to try and get Barkley walked.... Left us and publicised it was for a pay cut, kissed the arsenal badge and publicised that he rejected our approach to him as a manager..

Bullet dodged. 

i don't know how much longer he can last, but truth be told that squad is just shite.  i don't think a change in manager is gonna get better results.  they need to clear out the scouts and DOF and get some better people in charge of recruitment.  they either have youngsters who aren't good enough, or overpaid and old foreign vets who don't care anymore.  it's a wierd dynamic.  if he's get's january to get some signings that might breath some life into the squad.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't know how much longer he can last, but truth be told that squad is just shite.  i don't think a change in manager is gonna get better results.  they need to clear out the scouts and DOF and get some better people in charge of recruitment.  they either have youngsters who aren't good enough, or overpaid and old foreign vets who don't care anymore.  it's a wierd dynamic.  if he's get's january to get some signings that might breath some life into the squad.

He's had Aubameyang and played him out wide, he's got ozil and frozen him out for political reasons.  It's not the best arsenal squad but he's bought Pattee and Gabriel and let's be honest there's a few managers who would prefer that squad to theirs 

The other week they fired 50 crosses into the box and he bemoaned his had luck that 5ft 9 lacazette wasn't on the end of them against 6ft plus centre halves.

He's sounding like Martinez when he had no answers

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I think the long and short of it is it was far too big a job for a young manager to take on, never mind being his first position no matter what belief he has  in himself. 

I thought it was an odd appointment for Arsenal when the likes of Carlo was available.  

For us yeah, we were in a situation where we had nothing to lose and the ability to attract a manager of Carlos level over a team like arsenal with recent history and location etc wasn't there.... So when arsenal went on an unnecessary gamble in Arteta we benefitted. 

Knowing Arteta, if he did come to us and arsenal fluttered their eye lashes at him after one decent season he would have made the move happen... I don't think loyalty is in his make up. 

22 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’m pleased we never had to find that out. 

Sad isn't it.  When he was at man city and we had fat Sam I was looking at anyone who looked like they could inject a bit of quality and who got the club.... A bit like when Joe Royle came in.

I thought despite artetas nonsense when playing for arsenal against us he would look at us as a good step.  It would have suited both parties... The arrogant prick rejected us, when I say arrogant - he confirmed he turned us down.  A diplomatic reply would have been smarter. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I think the long and short of it is it was far too big a job for a young manager to take on, never mind being his first position no matter what belief he has  in himself. 

Which is why it was madness that we even considered him for the job with us. Madness that a big chunk of our fans wanted it as well.

We were a mess and hiring someone when it’s their first job as a manager would’ve been suicide and I think he’d have got us relegated. 

22 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Which is why it was madness that we even considered him for the job with us. Madness that a big chunk of our fans wanted it as well.

We were a mess and hiring someone when it’s their first job as a manager would’ve been suicide and I think he’d have got us relegated. 

Was it madness for us at the time when you seen names like Howe, Moyes, Dyche linked?  No, not really ... There was a chance that he could be an elite manager after being peps assistant. A bit of a throw of the dice. 

But when Arsenal passed on Carlo ..... Then all bets are off - you go all out for the proven elite manager if you can get him.  Arsenal were in pole position to get a top manager in but they made an unnecessary risk. 

I actually think Arteta has signed good players in Gabriel and Party.... He's took over a very similar natured squad to ours who need some precise man management.  He doesn't have the experience to manage such a diverse mix of characters. 

Yeah it was madness. It’s not even hindsight, I didn’t want it at the time because it was crazy. The very last thing we needed then was someone with zero experience as a manager. I don’t care if he’d lived with Pep Guardiola and had breakfast with him and his wife every day, it meant and means nothing. Just go and ask Paul Clement and being a sponge to Ancelotti.

I do think he’ll be a good manager eventually (maybe not with Arsenal) but it would’ve been a major fuck up on our part to make him our manager. I’m glad he saw himself as being above us, it’s saved us and now he’s looking up at our arsehole. 

5 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Yeah it was madness. It’s not even hindsight, I didn’t want it at the time because it was crazy. The very last thing we needed then was someone with zero experience as a manager. I don’t care if he’d lived with Pep Guardiola and had breakfast with him and his wife every day, it meant and means nothing. Just go and ask Paul Clement and being a sponge to Ancelotti.

I do think he’ll be a good manager eventually (maybe not with Arsenal) but it would’ve been a major fuck up on our part to make him our manager. I’m glad he saw himself as being above us, it’s saved us and now he’s looking up at our arsehole. 

Arteta has made me realise that true loyalty in football is rare.  I thought he was 80% blue... How could he not have been. The fans adored him but it wasn't everton fans adoration he wanted.... Soon jumped ship for less money and made it his mission to win favour with arsenal fans. 

Compare that to Alan Ball ... Left Everton gutted, went to Arsenal and did a good job but made it clear where his heart was.

Tim Cahill, Howard, Baines, Jags, are the real stand out blues from the Arteta years. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

We've got to double down in January... Top 4 is doable with the surrounding clubs in Europe, break top 4 with Carlo and in the summer you have possible signings that we never would have thought possible.

Didn't I see somewhere that Carlo said in an interview that he wasn't interested in doing much business during the January window? I understand the importance of getting Digne, Allan and James back, but if we're seriously pushing for top 4, we have to bring in a backup striker that's capable and another winger.