IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

4 hours ago, Btay said:

It just shows how big an opportunity to break into the top 4 we have this season.

Let Liverpool, United and City take the headlines. We just need to keep picking up steady points because our closing fixtures are very favourable.

I've only seen the league like this a few times, once when we finished 4th .... We staggered over the line cos other sides around us dropped points, the other when Leicester won the league and maybe another couple that have slipped my mind 

We really need to spend in the window.... Double down and go for it. 

On 18/01/2021 at 08:52, Bailey said:

It is mad this season. Bar those early games I haven't really watched us play and thought we looked like a good side and yet somehow we are in there pitching.

I think Leicester are a better side that us but I thought that last time when we beat them too. Big game! 

I don't see Leicester fading away this season like they did last. They'll have learned from that experience, and I agree, I do think they're a better overall side than us. 

I think we could realistically see a 7-team race for the top 4, potentially even for the title. Think it'll be Liverpool, United, City, Spurs, Everton, Leicester and Chelsea in the mix, but not particularly in that order. 

I do agree that we should spend this month to really push for a top-4 (or higher) finish, as this season might end up being an anomaly in that the race is wide open. Sadly I don't see that happening, and I'm afraid it might mean we finish outside the top 4. Crossing all my fingers and toes that I'm wrong there

22 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I don't see Leicester fading away this season like they did last. They'll have learned from that experience, and I agree, I do think they're a better overall side than us. 

I think we could realistically see a 7-team race for the top 4, potentially even for the title. Think it'll be Liverpool, United, City, Spurs, Everton, Leicester and Chelsea in the mix, but not particularly in that order. 

I do agree that we should spend this month to really push for a top-4 (or higher) finish, as this season might end up being an anomaly in that the race is wide open. Sadly I don't see that happening, and I'm afraid it might mean we finish outside the top 4. Crossing all my fingers and toes that I'm wrong there

On the evidence of tonight I'd take Chelsea out of the mix, if we can take four points (preferably six) from our next two games I can see a gap opening behind the top six. We have games in hand over almost everyone so need to use that, can't afford to drop any more silly points like we did against West Ham.

Chelsea have really fallen off a cliff of late. The two goals they conceded today were so avoidable. So sloppy for the corner and then for the second Rudiger was more interested in Vardy than the ball and James didn't fancy running with Maddison. 

I think the 4 best performing teams are Leicester, City, United and Liverpool and Spurs are probably next but only really because of the fire power they have and Southampton are a very good team albeit one that is light on quality.

Chelsea quickly need to find their way again and if they do they will string wins together. Where Arsenal will finish will depend on how they get through these next 6 games as they have a tough run and Villa were playing some good football too before they got shutdown. 

It should be an exciting end to the season!

Thoughts on the first goal in the city v Villa game guys?

Mings loses possession instantly to the striker who’s coming back from a well offside position and then city score. Dean smith got a red card straight after it from the ref for protesting. 

Surely it’s offside in my opinion.

33 minutes ago, Btay said:

Thoughts on the first goal in the city v Villa game guys?

Mings loses possession instantly to the striker who’s coming back from a well offside position and then city score. Dean smith got a red card straight after it from the ref for protesting. 

Surely it’s offside in my opinion.

Not seen it but it sounds very offside from what I've read.

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Apparently because Mings deliberately plays the ball by chesting it down that means it’s a new phase of play and Rodri is then onside.

Think it’s horrible rule that. He should be able to play the ball with no pressure in my opinion as the striker shouldn’t be in the game.

One of those ones that if it went other way would it be the same decision by officials 

18 minutes ago, Btay said:

Think it’s horrible rule that. He should be able to play the ball with no pressure in my opinion as the striker shouldn’t be in the game.

One of those ones that if it went other way would it be the same decision by officials 

It is a horrible rule, he’s clearly gained an advantage, but it is the rule so it’s actually the correct decision. It’s something that should be changed though in my opinion because it’s penalising defenders unfairly. 

50 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It is a horrible rule, he’s clearly gained an advantage, but it is the rule so it’s actually the correct decision. It’s something that should be changed though in my opinion because it’s penalising defenders unfairly. 

I agree. It is the rule but its a dodgy rule. 

Where an offside player affects the decision making of the defender, it should be always called offside. As an example using that goal, if Mings heads the ball clear because he knows Rodri is offside behind him and it falls to Silva dribbles through and scores anyway, in my opinion it still shouldn't be a goal either. 

37 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree. It is the rule but its a dodgy rule. 

Where an offside player affects the decision making of the defender, it should be always called offside. As an example using that goal, if Mings heads the ball clear because he knows Rodri is offside behind him and it falls to Silva dribbles through and scores anyway, in my opinion it still shouldn't be a goal either. 

I think the rule just need a tweak to what a phase of play is.

A defender has the right in my opinion to bring a ball down, get out of his feet and get his head up to play the ball. If he chooses to take a few touches then that’s a phase. Similar to an advantage. 

It’s a very grey area but it really needs looking at.

12 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

There are other rules on offside that are just as important imo and they haven’t posted them in their statement. What I saw was a common incident that Ive seen happen up and down the country and at GP for years. I can hand on heart say that the minute Rodri attempts to tackle Mings the ref will and has blown for offside 99 out of 100 times. 

The rules 

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used

Would it not be challenging for the ball?

Rodri is moving towards Mings and is within a metre or so. When the ball hits the turf he’s on him. The other option for Mings is not to chest it down but head it clear where Villa could lose possession. Therefore the offside player is affecting the game and gaining an advantage as it’ll mean Mings can’t take possession of the balls he to the offside player. 

15 hours ago, Btay said:

I think the rule just need a tweak to what a phase of play is.

A defender has the right in my opinion to bring a ball down, get out of his feet and get his head up to play the ball. If he chooses to take a few touches then that’s a phase. Similar to an advantage. 

It’s a very grey area but it really needs looking at.

Even then, the question becomes how long can a player hold onto the ball before the attacker becomes active?

I would like to see a return to anyone being offside getting pinged and see how that goes. Its straightforward.

I would also be tempted to only use VAR based on feet, rather than any point of the body that can score a goal. You would still get some tight calls but at least it is easier to be confident about a line drawn on a screen that trying to do what they do at the moment.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Even then, the question becomes how long can a player hold onto the ball before the attacker becomes active?

I would like to see a return to anyone being offside getting pinged and see how that goes. Its straightforward.

I would also be tempted to only use VAR based on feet, rather than any point of the body that can score a goal. You would still get some tight calls but at least it is easier to be confident about a line drawn on a screen that trying to do what they do at the moment.

Always felt that, it's bloody ridiculous you can be offside for leaning forwards imo.

I watched the second half of that arsenal match.  Their forwards are awful.  Pepe and willian don’t offer anything really, lacazette puts himself in the right spots but they don’t have anyone to get him the ball.  For all ozil faults I imagine they would be a different side had they used his creativity instead of ousting him due to not taking a pay cut.