IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

On 23/01/2021 at 16:33, markjazzbassist said:

I watched the second half of that arsenal match.  Their forwards are awful.  Pepe and willian don’t offer anything really, lacazette puts himself in the right spots but they don’t have anyone to get him the ball.  For all ozil faults I imagine they would be a different side had they used his creativity instead of ousting him due to not taking a pay cut.

They have both been poor and that is why they have largely been dropped for Martinelli and Smith-Rowe.

Willian sometimes threatens to do something and he has the ability to keep hold of possession under close pressure better than most players but the move just hasn't worked out.

I'm surprised as I thought it looked like a good move at the time. The end was coming for Willian but I thought he would have at least another full year in him before one of the young lads took his spot.

Pepe on the other hand is just a bad footballer. Plenty of talent but his understanding of the game is shocking. 

As for Ozil it is a shame about what has happened with him. A massively talented footballer who appears to not give enough of a toss about playing it. He might have earnt a fortune over the last 2 or 3 years but he has barely kicked a ball in public.

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

They have both been poor and that is why they have largely been dropped for Martinelli and Smith-Rowe.

Willian sometimes threatens to do something and he has the ability to keep hold of possession under close pressure better than most players but the move just hasn't worked out.

I'm surprised as I thought it looked like a good move at the time. The end was coming for Willian but I thought he would have at least another full year in him before one of the young lads took his spot.

Pepe on the other hand is just a bad footballer. Plenty of talent but his understanding of the game is shocking. 

As for Ozil it is a shame about what has happened with him. A massively talented footballer who appears to not give enough of a toss about playing it. He might have earnt a fortune over the last 2 or 3 years but he has barely kicked a ball in public.

ozil was a man of ethics, i got nothing against him.  said sure i'll take a paycut, show me what the money is going to, they wouldn't.  because we all know what it was going to, the owners pockets.  they cut their mascot of however many years, ozil posted he would pay the mans salary.  again why cut the mascot to line the owners pockets.  kroenke is a shitbag.  granted maybe you don't get the full story over there but he's grade A dirt here in the states.  had a football team in St. Louis (where he is from, his hometown), he was holding the city hostage to build him a new stadium and give him all this tax money to do so. the city refused and said stadium is fine, if you want a new one you're a  billionaire you do it.  he is on record "i would never move this team, it's my hometown, my mother still lives here and loves the team".  next year, up and moves them to LA what for?  money money money.  he's a liar and hypocrite.  

ozil played to start with arteta, i think they lost so much he figured he could use him as a fall guy for their problems.  well look at them now, turns out ozil wasn't the issue.  but he could have been the solution.  i don't like ozil's politics, but as to a man, i don't see what he did wrong there.  

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

ozil was a man of ethics, i got nothing against him.  said sure i'll take a paycut, show me what the money is going to, they wouldn't.  because we all know what it was going to, the owners pockets.  they cut their mascot of however many years, ozil posted he would pay the mans salary.  again why cut the mascot to line the owners pockets.  kroenke is a shitbag.  granted maybe you don't get the full story over there but he's grade A dirt here in the states.  had a football team in St. Louis (where he is from, his hometown), he was holding the city hostage to build him a new stadium and give him all this tax money to do so. the city refused and said stadium is fine, if you want a new one you're a  billionaire you do it.  he is on record "i would never move this team, it's my hometown, my mother still lives here and loves the team".  next year, up and moves them to LA what for?  money money money.  he's a liar and hypocrite.  

ozil played to start with arteta, i think they lost so much he figured he could use him as a fall guy for their problems.  well look at them now, turns out ozil wasn't the issue.  but he could have been the solution.  i don't like ozil's politics, but as to a man, i don't see what he did wrong there.  

A man of ethics? He may well be, I don't know a lot about him but as a professional footballer you would think he would want to play football and not sit at home every weekend.

The Ozil mascot thing was a stunt because it hit the headlines. How many other people have lost their jobs at Arsenal and he hasn't stepped in? 

Ozil did start playing for Arteta but after the initial performances his levels dropped again. Arsenal were playing well without him in the side and went on to win the FA Cup so hardly a fall guy. Given his problems with successive managers, it's fairly clear he is an issue behind the scenes. 

One of the quickest red cards surely? Alex Jankewitz makes his first start for Southampton and puts his stoods into Scott McTominay inside 120 seconds. The lad is probably keen to make an impression, but that's a horrendous way to start your footballing career.

United as expected running away with it against just 10 men, 36 minutes on the clock and it's 3-0 to the red half of Manchester.

Edit: Finished 9-0 United, I wonder who they play next?

Good results today, Southampton destroyed but their season has really gone off the rails in recent weeks so not much of a threat to our ambitions now, Arsenal lose so we're still two points ahead of them but now with three games in hand, and to cap it off West Brom and Newcastle lose. Happy days.

I think top three is now gone realistically, our fight (if we can get our shit together) is with Leicester, Spurs, Chelsea and Villa for 4th. Don't see West Ham sustaining their challenge.

Would have been more had Gundogan scored from the penalty spot, could be looking at 5-1 which would be delightful. Alisson's first fuck up was hilarious, but well done to him for sealing the banter with a second fuck up minutes later. 

Phil Foden too, biggest talent England has seen for years. He can go as far as he wants, looks an unbelievable talent.

29 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

They're getting destroyed. 

Phil Foden is going to be a superstar. 

Just texted my brother and my mate who's a city fan with the message "foden will be the best player in the world within a couple of years".

England should be winning a major comp with the likes of Greenwood, Grealish, Foden, Godfrey, Reece James.... But foden looks to have a the best bits of Messi, Xavi and iniesta rolled into one player. 

Barnsley down 1-0 to chelsea with Abraham tapping - however he looked well offside. Seems officials are almost reliant on VAR now and in games it’s not available they are struggling more so.

Also note - poor from the lineswoman as she was so far behind the play she could never make the call.