IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

10 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Crazy how much money they've spunked up the wall though, questions have surely got to be asked as to why a rebuild is needed with the amount of money they've spent (but they won't because it's a bottomless pit). 

I'm a massive fan of Guardiola, but I'm starting to have my doubts about what he can achieve with Manchester City, it would have been in everyone's best interest IMO to call it a day this summer and start from scratch. He created on of the best Premier League teams in history, but that was a good 18 months ago now.

Agree on Ederson too, they should be all over Donnarumma in the summer. 

In recent years City have been reluctant to spend big money, but then when they have they've spent it on players that aren't worth it. Just look at Ake for an example.

They need to spend on the best, not on on crap.

12 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Crazy how much money they've spunked up the wall though, questions have surely got to be asked as to why a rebuild is needed with the amount of money they've spent (but they won't because it's a bottomless pit). 

I'm a massive fan of Guardiola, but I'm starting to have my doubts about what he can achieve with Manchester City, it would have been in everyone's best interest IMO to call it a day this summer and start from scratch. He created on of the best Premier League teams in history, but that was a good 18 months ago now.

Agree on Ederson too, they should be all over Donnarumma in the summer. 

It is all a bit strange. They have spent God knows how much on full backs and whilst Walker has been really good for them over the years, they still don't have a suitable back up and they don't have a left back. 

I also think some of their big players are going off the boil. KDB's defensive effort is getting worse with every game I see him, Sterling's form has fallen off a cliff. Its not going to be long until Aguero is past it either. Mahrez has his moments but he isnt consistent and he is fairly predictable. 

I do think Rodri is getting better and better and Torres looks like a player. I do think they will have enough cover at CB with the 4 they have and they do have other quality options in midfield. They still have a good side but I don't think they have players to play how Pep wants them to anymore, partly through how capable they are and partly through whether they have the desire to play that way. 

36 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Maradona is the best footballer I've ever seen.  He was doing stuff that Messi does in an era where pitches were bumpy and defenders commited assault.

Sad news, I found it almost impossible to dislike him, he was a footballing hero. 

I didn't.

George Best died fifteen years ago today, that news made me sad.

54 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I didn't.

George Best died fifteen years ago today, that news made me sad.

I loved George best too even though he was before my time.

I like maverick footballers, you can almost accept their frailties as part of what makes them unique.... We are all humans.

Players like best, maradona, gazza played the game like it was their ball .... They would try and do stuff that others wouldn't. Maradona was a played who as a 9 year old wondered if Everton could sign.....  We got linked to Hagi and that was it after the ban. 

Been at least three fouls to stop Brighton attacks given Liverpool's way when they clearly weren't. These little ones from the refs are how the top 6 stay the top 6 every year, not only stops the opportunity it takes the wind out of the opposition and gives the top 6 teams a little breather. 

12 men Liverpool unlucky VAR helped Brighton get a fairer result. Robertson accidently kicked welbeck right in front of the ref but he didn't give it until var pulled it back. Ref also have a free kick and a yellow against Brighton that the shite scored from, luckily var reviewed and ruled it out for offside.

Phillips header should be looked at again. Nuts one of their players in the back of the head, didn't look like he was going for the ball.

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Then again.

To be fair, he turned up for 30 mins and they won the game. He has that talent but he plays in a position that you can just turn it on and off like that. Next time I will wait until the game has finished 🤣

Bit of a mad goal though, looked like the ball went out of play but the linesman wasn't even looking at the ball.

Oh and Chelsea are playing some decent football at the moment. They still have a mistake in them at the back but its far less often now Thiago Silva and Mendy are in.

I wouldnt say I am convinced about the latter But he makes saves Kepa doesnt. 

As a unit they have settled a lot better than I expected and Lampard should get a lot of credit for that. 

19 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

@Bailey do you like james?  i'd have him here, i think i was the only one in the thread on this forum that wanted him.  he would be a solid option off the bench and has room to grow as a youngster

No not for me. Not enough end product. You can see with James how important decision making is in the final third and James does a lot of good work and then does something that ruins all of it and we have enough of them already! 

2 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Anyone watching the Fulham game? It looked like a clear penalty for Fulham to me. I'm amazed it took them so long to review it and then even more so that it wasn't given! 

Edit: I take that back he clearly touches the ball. Didnt see that angle at first. No idea why it took so long to decide though. 

Fulham ahead now, playing really well.