IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

6 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Looks like it's gonna be us, Forest and Luton. Palace are gonna be just fine.

Massive game next week against Forest, but I think Luton are going down they really have run out steam right near the end.  

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Massive game next week against Forest, but I think Luton are going down they really have run out steam right near the end.  

How many times this season have people said that about them though. Won't be counting them out until it's mathematically finished.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Nah they don't give up palf.  Got most their players missing and still play with intensity to the last minute. Lokonga returning will be huge for them - I'm hoping he misses another few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Nah they don't give up palf.  Got most their players missing and still play with intensity to the last minute. Lokonga returning will be huge for them - I'm hoping he misses another few weeks. 

Sadly yesterday took the fight away from them, the team and the manager looked really dejected, they’ve had about 8 first team players out at the same time and it eventually taking it’s toll. 
I would have liked them to have stayed up but I don’t think it’s going to happen, but I have enjoyed their style of play, unlike our numbness hoof ball tactics from the tactical maestro that is Sean Dyche. 
Maybe if they get relegated we could approach  Rob Edward’s to take over from Dyche who by all accounts is getting sacked at the end of this season. 

I have a question, and I couldn't find an answer with some quick digging.

Leverkusen are unbeaten this season, in all competitions. Has that been done before? Did a looksee, and saw that Arsenal lost 3 European matches in their 03/04 season. 

Xabi Alonso might be the next Pep.

25 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Sadly yesterday took the fight away from them, the team and the manager looked really dejected, they’ve had about 8 first team players out at the same time and it eventually taking it’s toll. 
I would have liked them to have stayed up but I don’t think it’s going to happen, but I have enjoyed their style of play, unlike our numbness hoof ball tactics from the tactical maestro that is Sean Dyche. 
Maybe if they get relegated we could approach  Rob Edward’s to take over from Dyche who by all accounts is getting sacked at the end of this season. 

When does Dyche’s contract end was it a 2 year contract 

37 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I'd like Gary O'Neill tbh

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Leverkusen are unbeaten this season, in all competitions. Has that been done before? Did a looksee, and saw that Arsenal lost 3 European matches in their 03/04 season. 

It looks like the closest since that Arsenal squad was the 2011-12 Juventus squad but they lost in the Coppa Italia final to Napoli that season.

8 minutes ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

It looks like the closest since that Arsenal squad was the 2011-12 Juventus squad but they lost in the Coppa Italia final to Napoli that season.

Yeah but I'm not even including the 03/04 Arsenal team because they lost in Europe. Has anyone (in the top leagues) ever gone undefeated in every comp?

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Yeah but I'm not even including the 03/04 Arsenal team because they lost in Europe. Has anyone (in the top leagues) ever gone undefeated in every comp?

Based on a quick google search I just did, it looks you have to go all the way to Preston North End in 1888-89. Won the Football League and the FA Cup that season but there wasn't European football for them to participate in at that point. It looks like Bayer Leverkusen could become the first to do both (undefeated in League and Europe). Leverkusen are away to West Ham in the Europa League quarterfinals on Thursday. They also still have the German Cup final against second division Kaiserslautern at the end of May. 

6 minutes ago, StatesideToffee14 said:

Based on a quick google search I just did, it looks you have to go all the way to Preston North End in 1888-89. Won the Football League and the FA Cup that season but there wasn't European football for them to participate in at that point. It looks like Bayer Leverkusen could become the first to do both (undefeated in League and Europe). Leverkusen are away to West Ham in the Europa League quarterfinals on Thursday. They also still have the German Cup final against second division Kaiserslautern at the end of May. 

Five league games left as well, be interesting to see if they ease off having won the title.

32 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Five league games left as well, be interesting to see if they ease off having won the title.

Regardless, an unbelievable job by Alonso. The fact that he's doing it at Leverkusen, and one of the perceived "top" European clubs has never been able to accomplish it, speaks volumes.

47 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Only one of the remaining 5 are against teams in the bottom half of the table in the Bundesliga. They have to travel to Borussia Dortmund next weekend. They drew at home with them back in early December. 

13 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Time to brush off your german skills.

https://www.transfermarkt.de/langste-ungeschlagen-serien-seit-2000-leverkusen-egalisiert-rekord-von-juventus/view/news/436081

On 14/04/2024 at 20:48, dunlopp9987 said:

No - with Bayer drawing against West Ham the other day they've officially been undefeated the longest out of any club in the top 5 leagues of Europe. Nobody has been undefeated both domestically and in Europe across a season either. 

It would be an impressive achievement with Bayern given how long the run has gone on for, its absolutely insane what he's done with Leverkusen who were battling relegation when he took over. 

Despite his ties to Liverpool, I'm so intrigued by what Xabi Alonso does with his career. He's clearly another world class manager in the making.