IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

It's interesting to compare Everton with Notts Forest. The latter brought in over 20 new players and are really struggling to play as a cohesive unit. But how is that different from us? Consider our starting 11 against So'ton (and including Patterson, who would have started if not injured):

Pickford (was here a year ago)
Patterson (not here a year ago)
Coady (not here 6 months ago)
Tarkowski (not here 6 months ago)
Mykolenko (not here a year ago)
Gueye (not here 6 months ago)
Onana (not here 6 months ago)
Iwobi (was here a year ago)
Gray (was here a year ago)
McNeil (not here 6 months ago)
Maupay (not here 6 months ago)

In other words, we're little different than Forest when it comes to new players on the team - yet we've settled quickly and are noticeably improving. This tells me that we've been very strategic in bringing in new players, so all credit to our recruitment and management teams.

The likes of Coady, Tarkowski and Gana are experienced pros. I think they could probably drop into any team and fit in. But I agree, it’s a very good settling in period for these lads and a sign of the good work done by the staff.  

I think we’re very different to Forrest though. They had a decent side who won promotion and they have then brought in a whole new squad. So not only do they have to settle in 20+ players, they probably have at least ten players who feel let down and undervalued. 

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

It's interesting to compare Everton with Notts Forest. The latter brought in over 20 new players and are really struggling to play as a cohesive unit. But how is that different from us? Consider our starting 11 against So'ton (and including Patterson, who would have started if not injured):

Pickford (was here a year ago)
Patterson (not here a year ago)
Coady (not here 6 months ago)
Tarkowski (not here 6 months ago)
Mykolenko (not here a year ago)
Gueye (not here 6 months ago)
Onana (not here 6 months ago)
Iwobi (was here a year ago)
Gray (was here a year ago)
McNeil (not here 6 months ago)
Maupay (not here 6 months ago)

In other words, we're little different than Forest when it comes to new players on the team - yet we've settled quickly and are noticeably improving. This tells me that we've been very strategic in bringing in new players, so all credit to our recruitment and management teams.

Mykolenko had 6 months to settle in to the club but off all the other players only Patterson & Onana didn’t have premier league experience. 

8 minutes ago, Btay said:

Mykolenko had 6 months to settle in to the club but off all the other players only Patterson & Onana didn’t have premier league experience. 

This is a very good point. Here are the players brought in by Forest: A majority had no prior Prem experience.

https://www.fotmob.com/teams/10203/transfers/nottingham-forest

8 hours ago, StevO said:

So not only do they have to settle in 20+ players, they probably have at least ten players who feel let down and undervalued. 

This is a key factor, plus the lack of prem experience, whilst I don’t dislike them I’d like to see them drop down as it’s a horrible model they have used imo.

I don't know how in depth these stories truly are though. Did we actually attend Sporting matches and decline Ronaldo, or was it simply that we probably got passed his name on a post-it note (along with thousands of others) and decided against it. 

If you believe the papers we could have signed Haaland, Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe and Pele for a combined price of about £6.5m.

7 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I don't know how in depth these stories truly are though. Did we actually attend Sporting matches and decline Ronaldo, or was it simply that we probably got passed his name on a post-it note (along with thousands of others) and decided against it. 

If you believe the papers we could have signed Haaland, Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe and Pele for a combined price of about £6.5m.

...whereas we signed Sigurdsson for 40 million.