IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

he signed the short term extension to finish this campaign.  it's free money on the table for a guy at the end of his career, barring family issues i think he will sign.  i hope he will sign.  please please leighton sign it!  we need you!

He is obviously having doubts otherwise why sign the short term deal when there is already a longer term deal on the table?

3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Kenny can play both, no?

Thought he was predominantly RB? Only ever seen him there. But that’s not the point, we need someone competent at LB to step in for and challenge Digne and there’s no one if Baines leaves. 

edit: a general warning to everyone; don’t even think about saying Delph 

On 25/06/2020 at 16:23, Matt said:

Thought he was predominantly RB? Only ever seen him there. But that’s not the point, we need someone competent at LB to step in for and challenge Digne and there’s no one if Baines leaves. 

That would imply that he could actually stay fit for more than a day every six months!

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

im grasping at straws!  please leighton hear out pleas, sign the contract!

Just me that doesn't understand what the fuss is about? He's played what, four games this season yet is if he doesn't sign this suddenly becomes a massive problem? Lucas Digne is the undisputed left-back at Everton, if Leighton was to leave then all we would need to do would be to purchase/loan someone to fill the void in case Lucas was injured. 

Don't get me wrong, Baines is one of my favourites and it'd be sad to see him go but I can't understand the mass panic that this has caused. If he stays, brilliant. If he leaves then we look at cheap options to fill in the "bench warming, come on in the 94th minute if needed position". 

Personally, I think it comes down to what Leighton wants to do at this stage of his life. If I remember rightly he said that he wasn't that into football, it's just that he's really good at it and made it into a career. His passion is in music and he's best mates with Miles Kane, he could quite literally turn down the contract so that he can play on his guitar more. 

On 25/06/2020 at 17:09, Shukes said:

It’s just because people feel we won’t be making a lot of signings, and when we do... they need to be in other areas first as priority.

Having Baines as back up for another year gives us time to strengthen that position and focus on other areas where we really lack, like centre mid.

100% this . Sentiment  aside , Baines has proved he can still step in and produce top class performances and is without doubt the best back up LB in the Premier League but if FFP is limiting how quickly we can rebuild losing him just slows the process further

If we want to progress we need real competition for every position , not just someone who could Plug a gap, and for me Baines still provides that

"The sponsorship deal, widely reported to be worth £29m over three years, is said to be the largest non-betting deal in the Premiership, will take effect from the end of the current season."

https://www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-news/cazoo-signs-sponsorship-deal-aston-vila-football-club-29-06-2020#:~:text=Cazoo has announced a new,of Aston Villa Football Club.

Er....apart from Chevrolet, Standard Chartered, AIA, Emirates, Yokohama and Etihad:unsure:

29 minutes ago, barryj said:

Im surprised they got the same amount as us. 

Likewise, particularly given the very real relegation risk; though actually if the £29m over three years is accurate and if our £10m a year is right then they're still getting tiny bit less than us (£9,666,666 pa), hold on to that!

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Likewise, particularly given the very real relegation risk; though actually if the £29m over three years is accurate and if our £10m a year is right then they're still getting tiny bit less than us (£9,666,666 pa), hold on to that!

Unfortunately it has been reported in most places as around 29 million a year so I think it’s been rounded up by media. I can’t hold onto anything! 😞

Everton have not released the financial terms, but it is understood to be similar to the previous arrangement which was worth around £9.6 million a year.

Telegraph June 2020

And even less here:

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/everton-sign-up-cazoo-as-sportpesa-shirt-sponsor-replacement/

12 hours ago, Matt said:

Didn’t realise it was possible to sponsor 2 teams in the same league 

It happened in the 2000/01 season with Aston Villa and Newcastle United, who were sponsored by NTL (who are now Virgin Media). 

If I remember rightly NTL also sponsored Celtic and Rangers that season, and the Old Firm have often shared shirt sponsors (Carling and Tennants spring to mind). 

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Daughter’s birthday today and got the normal generic e-card. Then underneath I noticed Did you know: you share the same birthday month as Marco Silva, Lucas Digne, Djibril Sidibe and Andre Gomes!

Maybe the Comms team need to update their database. 😂 

congrats!  that's also wild that 4 people had the same birthday.  must've been a holiday or something when they were conceived.

3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

congrats!  that's also wild that 4 people had the same birthday.  must've been a holiday or something when they were conceived.

Read it again, "Did you know: you share the same birthday month..."