IGNORED

Arouna Kone

Have you noticed Martinez has the same shirt on in his interviews?

It's fair to say that the interview had been segmented, and the club knew they had their man.

Why is it though, that they can't let the fans know, rather than us find out via leaked sources? It would be great to log on to the official site and see something for the first time that was exciting.

Guest blueboy122

You said I was talking out of my arse "mate"?

And before that you tried to make me look a tit by BS your way into a response?

Of course they'll get a little twisted.

As Matt has just kindly pointed out (for the Nth time in this thread already), it's about the deal. The monies. The cost. The price. Everything about the deal is shite. But people have ignored that fact by;

A - Talking him up as a player, as if he's the savour of our club.

&

B - Picking on the people who reiterate the fact of the matter, that the deal, for our club, is poor.

As already stated how can you state the deal is "shite" when he hasn't kicked a ball?

What happens if he scores 100 goals and fires us into the champions league? Is it still a "shite" deal?

You think of buying and selling players like Ebay mate.

We buy players for the service they can provide not soley just to buy to make money on sell on values.

Edited by blueboy122

Guest blueboy122

People keep going on about this Gayle deal, but all the pundits and ex-coaches of this player have all said he has what it takes to get to the top, and he's young and he's English.

Well its the same idea then isn't it... time will tell what the good deals are and the bad deals.

Out of interest would you still think its a bad deal if he scores 12-15 goals next year?

Obviously this is prophesising but, what about if we Jela for 5-6mil? Giving us a better striker for no outgoings and probably less wages?

Plus I would hardly say Kone is being labelled as the saviour! Lol

on what ground is he a better player than jelavic?

jelavic scored almost if not the same in half the time in his first half season...second time didn't have such a good go of it but still got 7 goals in a shit season...

A - So is saying he is well over priced without naming any other players that we could have got for the same fee and is as proven as Kone in our league.

B - Only time will tell.

C- Bony for £14 million who's 25 years old and totally unproven?

A- You said it too. Page 3.

B - It will.

C - time will tell.

Bailey - I made a comment about 'quality', which was unfair as I was angry (rescinded comment after Av's post) only to reemphasise the prospective deal.

Oh and RuffRob. I'm glad it was the biggest load of rubbish you've ever read on here buddy, im feeling rather positive about any future posts I make ;)

anyone who isn't happy about this all of a sudden doesn't become a football scout with a world of knowledge at his finger tips...i don't know of any strikers that may or may not be worth 5-6m...just in my opinion kone isn't...he's had one DECENT(not great) premiership season..for 6m we could get 2-3 good prospect strikers..guidetti seems very popular around these parts? has everyon forgot vellios? to me the money could have been spent better elsewhere...such a lazy argument saying well who could we get for better

Surely that is the whole arguement? 5mil buys you feck all in todays game unless you are taking a big risk.

Im all for bringing through young talent and taking that chance but Kone can come in right away and hopefully hit the ground running have been used to the league and Martinez.

I dont see Jelavic being a Martinez type striker because he doesnt keep possession well enough, and having an experienced player like Kone who we know can do that job gives us a platform to then look at bringing younger & more inexperienced players through.

just seems to me people want strikers to be creators nowadays...when the fuck did that happen?! i want a striker to stay up top and score goals..the argument that kone can keep possession better is a shite one i think..i want out midfield to keep the possession and give it to the strikers at the right time to score goals...i seem to remember a lot criticising moyes for turning yak and saha into channel runners and ball players rather than keeping them as goalscorers...now we're getting a possession striker(something which might i add is vic's biggest strength) for 6m( a big chunk of our transfer kitty)...it just boggles me

i still maintain that a lot of people round here would be fucking furious if moyes signed him..and i will not change my mind about it

Guest blueboy122

A- You said it too. Page 3.

B - It will.

C - time will tell.

Bailey - I made a comment about 'quality', which was unfair as I was angry (rescinded comment after Av's post) only to reemphasise the prospective deal.

Oh and RuffRob. I'm glad it was the biggest load of rubbish you've ever read on here buddy, im feeling rather positive about any future posts I make ;)

Your right I did Ten. But when I faced the arguement who else could we have had for that money and as a good a player as he is I came unstuck and couldnt answer. After a little research and clip/game watching I changed my opinion. Well if you allow the same rules for Bony at £14 million why dont you have the same attitude for the Kone deal.

on what ground is he a better player than jelavic?

jelavic scored almost if not the same in half the time in his first half season...second time didn't have such a good go of it but still got 7 goals in a shit season...

I have watched quite a lot of both players and Kone's contribution to the Wigan team far outweighed Jelavic's contribution to ours.

Jela is a predator. His movement is first class, and normally his finishing is accurate. He needs a few chances to score generally & thats even when he was banging them in when he had just signed. However, he doesnt really bring others into the game, he doesnt have the best close control, and his vision and passing range are average.

Kone is pretty even in all departments. He is a good finisher, his movement and work rate are excellent, his close control and ability to read situations and bring others into play are pretty good as well. Physically he ia much stronger and quicker than Jela.

Dont get me wrong though, I like Jelavic and Im sure he will start scoring again shortly but his overall contribution to our team is very little if he isnt taking his chances.

Then I applaud you for saying so.

It's Swansea unfortunately, and they have more cash to spunk than us. If they blow it, they'll go out and buy another one, they can afford the risk. We on the other hand, can't.

I will give him time mate but my fear is that it doesn't work out, if he does flop, we're stuck with an ageing player, who we can't sell for the same amount as we'd paid for him and it'll have been a waste. I do understand, that on the other hand, if he does well, that it looks like good business and we'll all applaud and say "what a fab signing". Based on what I've seen, I don't think he will be.

But we as a club, can't take risks, we also can't splurge the majority of our transfer budget on a 50/50 chance.

Guest blueboy122

Then I applaud you for saying so.

It's Swansea unfortunately, and they have more cash to spunk than us. If they blow it, they'll go out and buy another one, they can afford the risk. We on the other hand, can't.

I will give him time mate but my fear is that it doesn't work out, if he does flop, we're stuck with an ageing player, who we can't sell for the same amount as we'd paid for him and it'll have been a waste. I do understand, that on the other hand, if he does well, that it looks like good business and we'll all applaud and say "what a fab signing". Based on what I've seen, I don't think he will be.

But we as a club, can't take risks, we also can't splurge the majority of our transfer budget on a 50/50 chance.

Positive-Really good player with potential for us to build attacks around him etc, and he's less of a risk than most due to his age and experience.

Negative- Little/No sell on value (We may not even want to sell him if he does well)

just seems to me people want strikers to be creators nowadays...when the fuck did that happen?! i want a striker to stay up top and score goals..the argument that kone can keep possession better is a shite one i think..i want out midfield to keep the possession and give it to the strikers at the right time to score goals...i seem to remember a lot criticising moyes for turning yak and saha into channel runners and ball players rather than keeping them as goalscorers...now we're getting a possession striker(something which might i add is vic's biggest strength) for 6m( a big chunk of our transfer kitty)...it just boggles me

i still maintain that a lot of people round here would be fucking furious if moyes signed him..and i will not change my mind about it

How is that a shite arguement? If strikers cant keep hold of possession then you constantly give the ball away which has pretty much been second nature for strikers at our club! Lol

We dont have the luxury of being able to afford a striker to goal hang and very few teams can afford that. All the best strikers in the world have to be good at keeping possession because it means that their team mates can make runs and trust that they are going to lose the ball and get caught out of position.

Being able to hold onto the ball is miles different from running channels btw.

I dont think it would matter tbh. After all when we aigned Jela for around a million more (supposedly anyway) there was still a fair amount of optimism for him despite being completely unproven in this league.

anyone who isn't happy about this all of a sudden doesn't become a football scout with a world of knowledge at his finger tips...i don't know of any strikers that may or may not be worth 5-6m...just in my opinion kone isn't...he's had one DECENT(not great) premiership season..for 6m we could get 2-3 good prospect strikers..guidetti seems very popular around these parts? has everyon forgot vellios? to me the money could have been spent better elsewhere...such a lazy argument saying well who could we get for better

He's 1 out of 1 in good premiership seasons so far, can't expect more than that. If you're expecting someone with a great premiership season for 5m, you're not gonna get it. He's also had plenty of good seasons abroad and was in fact considered a €12m player by Sevilla when they bought him from PSV, with whom he regularly got to the knockout stages of the Champions League. Injuries and competition from Luis Fabiano and Frédéric Kanouté derailed his Sevilla career, but he's picked his game up again scoring 30 goals in his two most recent seasons for Levante (who got into one of the European spots when he was there) and Wigan.

Guidetti hasn't played football for over a year and who knows whether he ever will again. It's also unlikely we'd be getting him for 2-3m as he did score 20 Eredivisie goals, Manchester City aren't a charitable organization. I'd also much prefer a 10 goals a season striker over 2 or 3 prospects who might never really contribute.

PS: Saying "we should get better for that money but I have no idea who" is quite a lazy argument as well.

What you want a striker to do doesn't matter though, it's what Martinez wants him to do that matters. Vic's also a completely different player to Koné, Vic's good with his back to goal and with long balls coming in, when he can feel the defender in his back and keep him there. His feet aren't very good. Koné can play with his back to goal and keep the ball up, you can pass the ball into his feet and he'll bring others into play or even create opportunities by dribbling, he can make runs in behind the defense, etc.

Edited by Steve_E

you guys obviously know more about him than me...i seriously hope to be proven wrong but i really don't see what he brings that vic doesn't have...despite the age...i'm just so disappointed that such a large sum has been spent on him...it just makes me hope that some money has been found down the back of a couch somewhere...also i just know for a fact that a lot of people round here would be pissed off if moyes had signed him and would highlight the shit points rather than the good ones if that was the case...sadly can't prove it but i'm not the only who thinks it

you guys obviously know more about him than me...i seriously hope to be proven wrong but i really don't see what he brings that vic doesn't have...despite the age...i'm just so disappointed that such a large sum has been spent on him...it just makes me hope that some money has been found down the back of a couch somewhere...also i just know for a fact that a lot of people round here would be pissed off if moyes had signed him and would highlight the shit points rather than the good ones if that was the case...sadly can't prove it but i'm not the only who thinks it

I also can't prove what I'm going to say now, but I think that if Moyes had signed him for the same money a season ago from a side who finished 6th in La Liga (rather than the new manager getting the same player from his recently relegated side) and there had been a cool Youtube vid with the 17 goals he scored for Levante, people would be excited.

If you don't see what he offers different to our other strikers, read this:

http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/

Some excerpts:

Passing wise, his link up play is particularly impressive with an 84.5% pass completion last season, the 3rd best total posted by a striker in the top flight.

His superior ability to link play is certainly a plus point and in this respect he’s a better bet than Anichebe and Jelavic who on average complete every 6 in 10 passes to Kone’s 8.

His style, principally to receive in wide areas, get the ball quickly out of his feet and drive at defenders inside, is distinctive and he made the 4th most dribbles of any forward in the league in 12/13. His ability to beat his man is better statistically than any of our current crop, and even better than our top dribbler Mirallas; the Ivorian made more take on’s than KM and boasted a higher success rate to the tune of 51% v 44%.

One of the reasons he has graced such stages – as well as his undoubted ability – is the fact that in football psychology terms he would be classed as a Type B’ player (the best type) who have high ambition and low performance anxiety with limited fear of failure. Roughly translated this means he can play his normal game in pressure environments and doesn’t do anything mental. (my comment: as opposed to Vic who supposedly lacks self-belief)

Edited by Steve_E

The strikers who completed more dribbles than Koné last season btw:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Arouna Kone: Of all strikers in the PL last season only Tevez (47), Aguero (58) and Suarez (95) completed more dribbles than Kone (45)</p>— WhoScored.com (@WhoScored) <a href="https://twitter.com/WhoScored/statuses/354250604455010306">July 8, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not in bad company.

Can someone please explain to me how we embed a tweet? :D

Edited by Steve_E

look the guy might turn out brilliant...i personally doubt it...i just don't see what he brings for the price other than age and a few goals in 1 season in the premier league...i really hope i'm proven wrong cos if this is our big signing i'm gonna be majorly depressed all season

I posted a comparison on my site some time ago that had some interesting facts about him in comparison with what we have.

It's here if you want to read it (if you don't want to, don't.)

http://loveevertonforum.com/thread/360/excellent-article-comparing-arouna-strikers

I think he will prove to be a decent player if he stays fit.

Fuckin Nora £5m quid for a front man playing in a league where his peers who struggle to match his level earn that in wages alone for one season!!!

Embarrassing, he hasn't even kicked a ball for us but has been judged as a waste of money. Heads in ovens and all sorts of shite. You'd think we had been accustomed to shearer, fowler, and RVP at Goodson. We're skint! Aim the anger elsewhere like that grey haired phoney tit who's kept us in the dark ages and unable to compete on a financial level because he's the biggest evertonian on the planet.

The lad can play, tore distin and heitinga a new one and made me sit up and watch a player show no regard for reputation. We may only get his last 3 years or so and it may cost £8m in total - so what!!! If he does what I've seen him do on the few occasions against us and other teams its money well spent.

I often want to be proven right based on what I've see as a means of vindicating my ability to judge, but for fucks sake, some of you have just gone way overboard on this.... Of course unless you can pluck a guaranteed goal machine under 25, who is prem proven and we can get for under £15m....(there ain't any! - benteke is £20m now)

Fuckin Nora £5m quid for a front man playing in a league where his peers who struggle to match his level earn that in wages alone for one season!!!

Embarrassing, he hasn't even kicked a ball for us but has been judged as a waste of money. Heads in ovens and all sorts of shite. You'd think we had been accustomed to shearer, fowler, and RVP at Goodson. We're skint! Aim the anger elsewhere like that grey haired phoney tit who's kept us in the dark ages and unable to compete on a financial level because he's the biggest evertonian on the planet.

The lad can play, tore distin and heitinga a new one and made me sit up and watch a player show no regard for reputation. We may only get his last 3 years or so and it may cost £8m in total - so what!!! If he does what I've seen him do on the few occasions against us and other teams its money well spent.

I often want to be proven right based on what I've see as a means of vindicating my ability to judge, but for fucks sake, some of you have just gone way overboard on this.... Of course unless you can pluck a guaranteed goal machine under 25, who is prem proven and we can get for under £15m....(there ain't any! - benteke is £20m now)

he's not a goal machine haf...and as i said above steve howard tore our defence a new one and he plays in league one

Guest blueboy122

he's not a goal machine haf...and as i said above steve howard tore our defence a new one and he plays in league one

Theres a reason Howard plays in league one. Kone has consistenty performed this season for Wigan in the best league in the world playing for a poor poor side.