IGNORED

Arouna Kone

How so?

Haha I wasn't really, I'm in a hotel, by the beach, eating Cheetos and laughing at the signing.

I can't draw :unsure:

Still, happy to see half of the Everton faithful are happy with mediocrity...? All I've seen since the announcment on sites like the BBC and Sky, are "cracking signing", "great buy"....how is this a "great" buy?

We have mediocrity at board level, people moan. Now we are aiming for it at team level, everyone's f*cking giddy and moist.

We should do better than this, full stop.

A great buy is the negotiators busting their sacks, trying to pursuade a genuinely World Class player in Honda, to join for the reported £2/3m that it'll take to capture him.

This is a very 'meh' buy. Full-stop.

If some of you on here (and in other media outlets) truely believe this to be a "great" buy....then fuck me, we're truely living in deluded times.

I'm not fucking surprised they removed Nil Satis Nisi Optimum from the badge, because by the sounds of it, we have accepted everything but the best.

Haha I wasn't really, I'm in a hotel, by the beach, eating Cheetos and laughing at the signing.

Still, happy to see half of the Everton faithful are happy with mediocrity...? All I've seen since the announcment on sites like the BBC and Sky, are "cracking signing", "great buy"....how is this a "great" buy?

We have mediocrity at board level, people moan. Now we are aiming for it at team level, everyone's f*cking giddy and moist.

A great buy is the negotiators busting their sacks, trying to pursuade a genuinely World Class player in Honda, to join for the reported £2/3m that it'll take to capture him.

If some of you on here (and in other media outlets) truely believe this to be a "great" buy....then fuck me, we're truely living in deluded times.

I'm not fucking surprised they removed Nil Satis Nisi Optimum from the badge, because by the sounds of it, we have accepted everything but the best.

ten

Edited by marcopaulo

I agree its mediocre ten, but for the money i think its a fair signing. If we had more money to spend to buy the three or four players we need then i'd be pissed off too. But the mediocre board have got us in this situation where we dont have the extra to spend. I dont think many other forwards in the prem would go for less.

I also think Roberto is playing it safe with a player he thinks he can trust to help him bring in his ideas., for now i trust Roberto.

He has more value to a team than just scoring goals as well, unlike Jelavic. It's a definite upgrade for me, my only qualms with this are that I think it's a short term solution.

If he comes in this year and does amazing then we can sell him on for profit. The only way we lose money is if he flops or stays with us till he's into his late thirties.

Guest blueboy122

I take it you know more than us then.

When did the board pass up on the oppertunity to sign Honda and how didn't we try hard enough?

I agree its mediocre ten, but for the money i think its a fair signing. If we had more money to spend to buy the three or four players we need then i'd be pissed off too. But the mediocre board have got us in this situation where we dont have the extra to spend. I dont think many other forwards in the prem would go for less.

I also think Roberto is playing it safe with a player he thinks he can trust to help him bring in his ideas., for now i trust Roberto.

THIS!!!

We have had 11 years of a manager who 'plays it safe' i can't be arsed with the same again, we need progression.

Looks as if we will be signing Alcaraz today as well. @FourthOfficial_: Alcaraz has arrived at Finch Farm to finalise a move to Everton #efc

Got to say I'm not overly excited by the types of players Martinez is bringing to our club. Not sure how he hopes to achieve getting us into the champions league in 3 odd seasons with these types of investments in these players. Really hope he makes better signings along with these otherwise it's going to be a depressing summer.

bKLWRuS.jpg

for all the people not happy, not convinced, just look at it this way - he was happy to pose with that rubbish shirt and ghoulish badge so he clearly wants to be here.

on a serious note... its done, hes a hard worker and so long as he creates as many assists as goals i'll be happy. I thought Jela was a waste of money at first and he played well to start with, before he was asked to do a job which Kone does very well by all accounts; chase the ball, work for the team, etc. If he frees up Jela to be a fox in the box again, its like getting 2 strikers for 5m.

If not, its a waste of money but noone knows what will happen so in the meantime, lets not completely write him off before the ink dries on his 3 year deal.

THIS!!!

We have had 11 years of a manager who 'plays it safe' i can't be arsed with the same again, we need progression.

I agree we need progression, but in his first window a bit of safety might be a good idea. He keeps talking about bringing in the right characters, he knows this guy and can trust him.

Welcome Aroune Kone ! I am an Everton supporter from Africa - I have followed Kone's career and can assure Everton fans that they have bought one of the best 5mil players on the market -

he scored at most 1 goal less than Roony last season and the same as Tevez , Giroud , Sturridge , Pedolski, Defoe, Fletcher and Mata - a total bargain at that price-

for those who says he is too old - I have news - us Africans are tough !

Aroune I wish you all of the best - I am sure you will win the hearts of the pre-season pessimists soon - you go boytjie

I agree we need progression, but in his first window a bit of safety might be a good idea. He keeps talking about bringing in the right characters, he knows this guy and can trust him.

It's done now anyway lets see how he gets on. Martinez said he wanted one in each area, if Alcaraz comes in as suggested above then thats def+att. i can only hope his midfield signing is going to be a good one, because im not sure i will survive if we end up with McGeady.

6 million quid *wrings hands furiously* 6 million quid! Why do I get the feeling we've just bought some magic beans?

Seriously, I think that 6 million is a lot, but I'll be rooting for you next season Arouna - best of luck, welcome and make sure you smash in a few.

Welcome Aroune Kone ! I am an Everton supporter from Africa - I have followed Kone's career and can assure Everton fans that they have bought one of the best 5mil players on the market -

he scored at most 1 goal less than Roony last season and the same as Tevez , Giroud , Sturridge , Pedolski, Defoe, Fletcher and Mata - a total bargain at that price-

for those who says he is too old - I have news - us Africans are tough !

Aroune I wish you all of the best - I am sure you will win the hearts of the pre-season pessimists soon - you go boytjie

I find if you wack them with a mallet for a few minutes they're easier to chew.

it may not be the purchase of the season but in my eyes at least it is definite progression from what we had and whilst I think the supposed fee is on the steep side I still think he will be worth every penny come the end of his spell here.

Unfortunately Ten world class players like Honda arent going to come here unless he can offer them a real carrot. We cant compete on wages and we arent in Europe so apart from the heritage of the club I dont really know what makes you think we can compete at that table.

I actually think that we will see one of Jelavic or Vic leave this summer and I expect the fee to be very similar to what we paid for Kone. If that happens, and we use those additional funds to bring some younger, potential world class players then it will be a brilliant bit of business IMO. Same applies to the Heitinga/Alcaraz situation.

I think this is Martinez maneuvering his funds whilst improving the first 11 at the same time. If we dont sign anyone else then I will also be pissed off at the lack of ambition but we still have a long way to go.

Be awfully surprised if he doesn't have at least two really good seasons with us. Is 6 million more than we wanted to spend? Of course it is. Was anyone else available in that range that would slot in and improve us? Don't think so. The question was asked on here repeatedly and I for one didn't see a single viable answer.

I am curious about his wages though, hope he's on more or less the same as he was at Wigan.

If Alcaraz comes in next for free I won't be too bothered either. We may well be trying a few different things at the back and will need players with different skill sets.

Hope Johnny is going out, and the balance of the pre-sales kitty combined with wage savings and 2-3 mill for him could land us someone reasonable in midfield.

Also, don't think the board has a damn thing to do with us not landing Honda, if that happens. He wants to be in Europe, I realize Milan aren't there this year, but I'd put more money on them being there next year than I would on us doing the same.

I take it you know more than us then.

When did the board pass up on the oppertunity to sign Honda and how didn't we try hard enough?

You never read things properly do you?

I certainly didn't mention that the board (!?) have passed up on the opportunity to sign anyone. Nor did I mention them not trying?

Clearly what I stated is that we SHOULD be busting a gut to at least try.

I don't know if they have or not, but I'd hope they are.

Martinez said he wanted one in each area, if Alcaraz comes in as suggested above then thats def+att.

Which lets be honest, is depressing in its own right. However I do understand the Alcaraz deal, a damn site more than the Kone one.

Ive noticed people are suggesting that we're going to sell Jelavic? If that's the case, then why didn't we sell him first, combine to two fees and look at an £11m player? I understand it doesn't work like that, but that would've have been good.

Which lets be honest, is depressing in its own right. However I do understand the Alcaraz deal, a damn site more than the Kone one.

Ive noticed people are suggesting that we're going to sell Jelavic? If that's the case, then why didn't we sell him first, combine to two fees and look at an £11m player? I understand it doesn't work like that, but that would've have been good.

I would guess because we would still need another main striker, unless one of the young lads are ready to step up?

I'm a bit of a broken record, I know, but we should be thinking of the team and squad as a whole, not individual players. Think Notts Forest under Clough (no big names but a brilliant team that twice won the European cup) and Oakland A's with Billy Beane (the Moneyball story with no big names and several supposed has-beens). It's too easy to focus on individuals and their transfer cost instead of the bigger picture. From the latter perspective, Kone has the potential to increase the value of the team considerably.

An £11m player could actually detract from a team's total value, and a player at half that price may add £20m in net value to the team. It's tempting to be wow'ed by the big numbers bandied around by the press, but we've seen with ManC just how little correlation there can be between the price of individual players and the performance of the team of which they are a part.

Edited by Cornish Steve