IGNORED

Arouna Kone

Ah I see

So I take it Martinez likes players losing the ball then?

:lol: Brilliant.

To be fair, Moyes probably signed one of the best players in the league for running at players last year in Mirallas. See the goals against Stoke and Spurs away.

Apart from Bale, there isn't too many players outside "the top 4" who would have scored them goals.

Ah I see

So I take it Martinez likes players losing the ball then?

Sin miedo - Spanish for "without fear" is Martinez footballing principle, written on the walls of the canteen at wigans training ground. Certainly the likes of mcmanaman showed that against a class fullback in the fa cup final.

Not too sure what the Spanish for "penknife to a gunfight", "sit back at 1-0" "fuckin launch it nev" is.

The no fear approach won Wigan the same number of points against man united, arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in Martinez's tenure. With a clearly more limited team.

Moyes has gone, time to move on. Under Martinez I feel players will be given far more creative licence.

Edited by Hafnia

I hate phrases like someone being "given creative license" to "express yourself on the pitch". They're just empty phrases.

But apart from that, I think it's obvious from seeing him play even for a short while that he's got an athletic build, is fast and (important to play the Martinez way) that he's got more nimble feet than our current strikers. I'm sure he's got a very professional attitude and is a decent bloke to work with as well, otherwise Martinez wouldn't want him after working with him for a year. But again, my gripe with him is his age. Of course, I'll support him if he signs. I wasn't happy when Distin signed either and I think it was a good signing now. But we're building a very old squad now. Also, I'll just say this before anyone points it out: I don't care that Moyes signed Pienaar back last year or anything. What Moyes did or didn't do wrong doesn't matter anymore. Martinez is in charge now and we've got nothing to do with Moyes anymore. Martinez is creating a big challenge for himself in the near future if he signs a couple more 30-year-olds this window though.

I hate phrases like someone being "given creative license" to "express yourself on the pitch". They're just empty phrases.

But apart from that, I think it's obvious from seeing him play even for a short while that he's got an athletic build, is fast and (important to play the Martinez way) that he's got more nimble feet than our current strikers. I'm sure he's got a very professional attitude and is a decent bloke to work with as well, otherwise Martinez wouldn't want him after working with him for a year. But again, my gripe with him is his age. Of course, I'll support him if he signs. I wasn't happy when Distin signed either and I think it was a good signing now. But we're building a very old squad now. Also, I'll just say this before anyone points it out: I don't care that Moyes signed Pienaar back last year or anything. What Moyes did or didn't do wrong doesn't matter anymore. Martinez is in charge now and we've got nothing to do with Moyes anymore. Martinez is creating a big challenge for himself in the near future if he signs a couple more 30-year-olds this window though.

I will judge Martinez's dealings over three or four transfer windows, not his first two or three signings - the quickest and easiest transfers are going to be be the ones he knows from his former club and they are going to be be the first couple in. That might just happen to be Kone and Alcaraz, (with the pair only costing £5M tranfer fees and around £40,000 a week wages). I don't think these first two signings are going to define his on going transfer policy over his contract period.

£5M is not than massive an investment.

I quite like the part that indicates that he likes to take a man on, and yeah this would have made Moyes head spin off. But Martinez lived with that, just like liverpool live with Suarez running it and losing it. Gotta break an egg to make an omelette.

Yea because Moyes signed Mirallas as a battle hardened midfielder, and he told Baines "don't you dare take a man on!" ?! He obviously told Coleman to get the cross in as soon as he received the ball, he never told him to take a man on....

You berate people for not "watching" football but sometimes I wonder what team you've been watching for the past 3 years?!

I agree with you from time to time mate, but your bitterness towards Moyes sometimes verges on the ridiculous.

If we got him for 5 mill and on reasonable wages I think he'd be a good signing. Even though he's aging I reckon he could potentially have 3 solid seasons at Everton. Jelavic and Anichebe didn't produce enough goals last season and if Martinez thinks this guy will, we've gotta trust him I guess.

Yea because Moyes signed Mirallas as a battle hardened midfielder, and he told Baines "don't you dare take a man on!" ?! He obviously told Coleman to get the cross in as soon as he received the ball, he never told him to take a man on....

You berate people for not "watching" football but sometimes I wonder what team you've been watching for the past 3 years?!

I agree with you from time to time mate, but your bitterness towards Moyes sometimes verges on the ridiculous.

Haf loves Moyes really. He's just mean to those he loves.

Baines is a year younger does that mean he is not worth a big contract? Course he is. £5 mill is fuck all these days.Rhodes went for nearly double that last year

I've read he's a devout Muslim, so he ain't gonna be a drinker. When it's Ramadan he will invariably find it tough with the fasting. But we will be getting a very disciplined footballer.

Ramadan's in July this year. Wouldn't really affect a Premier League player till 2020 when it has moved back into April!

Edited by formby

Baines is a year younger does that mean he is not worth a big contract? Course he is. £5 mill is fuck all these days.Rhodes went for nearly double that last year

rhodes went for that to a club managed with too much money and devoid of sense... Edited by Matt

i do think that in many ways this is a smart signing. We spent £3.5m on phil Neville (28) who was on more money back then than what kone will be on. We didn't get a sell on fee.

We are going to get the best years of a pacey, skilful striker for £5m...what's the problem?

It appears that mr laudrup rates him enough to offer a million more for the player but the player has chosen us.

For me it's an 8/10 signing, solid, maybe not exciting for those who see bony as the next drogba (then again will he?), dirk kuyt was a goal machine in the Dutch league (a goal every 1.7 games for feyernord, 1 in 4 for the shite).

Regarding the Ramadan thing, Muslims are supposed to fast, but often don't if it interferes with their islamic duty; i.e. if it would be adverse to them, or stops them doing their job properly. I know quite a few muslims who have not fasted during ramadan because they were pregnant, or because it affected their ability to do the job they did. As an elite athlete, Koné pay well fall into this category.