IGNORED

Arouna Kone

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/07/03/martinez-on-transfer-talk

Are Koné and Alcaraz coming or not, Bobby?! :shaking fist:

So 3-4 players coming? I suspect the 'or 4' bit is incase Felli leaves. Otherwise RM is looking to sign a goalkeeper, a defender and a striker.

Didnt really open the door for Alcaraz and Kone in that interview did he?

i didn't random pick that stat...i picked it as the team closest to our level..scoring goals in shit leagues means nothing in my eyes...you are seriously such a child at times...that's the most embarrassing thing about this thread

edit: tell a lie that probably isn't..the fact that if moyes was still here and going for kone you'd be on our side of the argument...absolutely 100%

But he still had a good record at every other club who were in the top flight of their respective leagues, including Levante who are in the same league as Sevilla. You have picked the anomoly as opposed to the general trend. Damn cherry picker! :shaking fist:

I also dont see that there would be a difference if Moyes was here or not and I dont think Haf would either in fairness to him.

The problem for me is not that he's a bad player. He's been in a side that made it to the last 16 and to the quarter finals of the Champions League (PSV also beat Arsenal in the last 16 round in his last season for them), he scored 11 league goals for Wigan last year, 15 for Levante the year before when they finished 6th in La Liga, etc.

The problem is that 5m will probably get you even less in 3 years time, when Koné will be 32, Hibbert 35, Heitinga 32, Jagielka 33, Distin 38, Osman 35, Pienaar 34, Howard 37. Heitinga and Distin will probably already need replacing next season when their contracts are up, Howard and Hibbert will need replacing earlier as well imo.

And we can probably add Alcaraz as well, who'll be 33 then.

Finally a well made balanced negative argument.

It is definitely a concern but these one or two players might be the only oldies we get. If we got rid of Jela and brought in a 18-19yo kid with potential then would have lowered the average age. Similarly if swapping Alcaraz and Heitinga wont affect this either. Martinez has already said he wants to lower the age of the squad but if there is a player who is 28-29 who can make an instant impact in the first team who is relatively cheap and wants to come here, we should pass up on that opportunity. Kone definitely has the ability to do well here based on what I saw last season, and while I wont be rushing to get his name on the back of my shirt, you can understand exactly why Martinez has made the decision to bring him in.

I know what Your saying Steve and fully agree about players ages but the way people are talking is like if we sign Kone on a two or three year deal we won't sign anyone else this season or for the next few and our young up and coming players suddenly vanish into thin air and we have no options but to carry on with an ageing squad!

Some are being so one dimensional in their approach to things so far it's unbelievable at times and we haven't even kicked a ball yet.

I'd much prefer us to be able snap young promising talent up but financially we are poor in comparison to most in the league that people keep banging on about trying to bring players in.

For all we know we might not even sign him and if we did who is to say we are not going to bring in two or more players? it's all unknown as it stands and I'm not going to start worrying until the transfer window shuts and I know where we stand.

Exactly! :worship[1]:

People are making a little to much of his age, 29 isn't actually over the hill for a footballer (somebody also mention being in his prime) - OK, most likley this will be his last major contract an no sell on fee - but you'd have to expect 4-5 years out of him before he retaires at the grand old age of 33-34. That gives Martinez 8-10 transfer windows to work on bringing in younger players.

So a bit of a reality check that he doesn't need to only buy players under the age of 25 in his very first transfer window. He should bring in a couple of player he is happy and familiar with, with out breaking the bank. He already has a full squad of what will be totally new unfamiliar player to him, that he has never worked with. So a couple of familar faces in the squad who he knows what he will get out of them is a smartish move in my opinion. To me this isn't the window for Martinez to go for higher risk expensive youngster in until he has 6 months with the current squad and youth acadamy.

Don't forget, today or tomorrow is going to be the first time Martinez properly meets the Everton playing squad. It is going to take at least the pre-season for Martinez to see which peg is goiing to best fit which hole of his playing system. Bring a couple of players you know well in and spend a reasonable time assessing the squad with a few pre-season friendlies has to be the best transfer option.

I know its more exciting to see new hot prospect coming in, and we all want that - but this window just isn't the right time. There is a annual convayor belt of the next hot property, I am sure we will see it come over the next two or three years and ideally, through our own acadamy.

How the hell is this a fair comparison? Altidore was 20 years old at the time. Kone was 29 when he scored 11 for Wigan. Altidore just scored 31 total goals this past season, including the game winner against PSV for the Dutch Cup. He has scored four goals in his last four games at the international level. But fuck me, let's judge him on a loan spell from three years ago when he was barely even developed.

Like I've said in other threads, I'd be shocked if any club signed Altidore for lower than a 8 mil transfer. He has been insane the past two season at AZ and -- like you said -- his international form has been immense.

Him wearing number 2 here would push me over the edge.

Same here. Bloody annoys me! Same when Asamoah Gyan wore number 3 for Ghana, sort it out!

Talking of Gyan, just googled him to see what he's up to, playing for Al Ain in the United Arab Emirates, on £140,000 a week after tax. I know it's probably a shite league, but his record is 44 goals in 35 games. Pretty impressive, was always a good finisher I thought.

Edited by Geth

Me too. Him being number 9 would push me over the edge.

Him wearing number 2 here would push me over the edge.

Don't get me started! I've still not got over Oviedo in the number 8.

If Tim Howard was really a decent bloke he would stop with his lucky number/Jordan crap and just do the decent thing and throw a number one on his back.

not my idea of a great signing but he may not be on Robbies Radar.Its all papertalk at the minute but 5 mill doesn't get you much these days if we get £2-3 mill for Naismith it wouldn't be so bad

How the hell is this a fair comparison? Altidore was 20 years old at the time. Kone was 29 when he scored 11 for Wigan. Altidore just scored 31 total goals this past season, including the game winner against PSV for the Dutch Cup. He has scored four goals in his last four games at the international level. But fuck me, let's judge him on a loan spell from three years ago when he was barely even developed.

It was merely a comparision of their respective premier league records not them as players. Did you read what I wrote when I said he was young and may well have improved and his current form is good so I hardly judged him on his record with Hull

4 in 4 for USA and 2 of those were against Honduras and Panama is hardly a glowing endorsement however and there have been plenty of players who can score for fun in Holland and struggle in the prem - Afonso Alves anyone?

I know a few people are saying its just a rumour but Dave Whelan (who is like the SSN yellow bar personified) has confirmed that Everton have bid and we are his most likely destination.

he also said Martinez wouldnt go to Everton