IGNORED

Arouna Kone

He was 19/20. Kone is what, 29? Altidore had a lot to learn. Kone was in the prime of his career. Not a fair comparison.

He still has a lot to learn - namely being able to control a football. But on footy manager if you played him up front and went direct over the top he had pace to burn.

I'm pretty certain he will be a massive disappointment. Being able to control a ball will be vital with Martinez.

Haf, I often agree with your points, but why are you such a twat when people disagree with your view?

I'm replicating the unbelievably blinkered posts on this thread. Fooking embarrassing! Yeah, I am on one, but half of these aren't opinions... They are lazy random picked stats to discredit an unfashionable name.

I thought most on here were open minded, seems to me that unless we are in for a player who was heralded as the next something by the media a few years ago then it's not good enough.

I'm actually being positive about something the club is doing (potentially) for reasons that I'm comfortable with I.e an informed opinion using my own eyes.

i didn't random pick that stat...i picked it as the team closest to our level..scoring goals in shit leagues means nothing in my eyes...you are seriously such a child at times...that's the most embarrassing thing about this thread

edit: tell a lie that probably isn't..the fact that if moyes was still here and going for kone you'd be on our side of the argument...absolutely 100%

Edited by marcopaulo

I'm replicating the unbelievably blinkered posts on this thread. Fooking embarrassing! Yeah, I am on one, but half of these aren't opinions... They are lazy random picked stats to discredit an unfashionable name.

I thought most on here were open minded, seems to me that unless we are in for a player who was heralded as the next something by the media a few years ago then it's not good enough.

I'm actually being positive about something the club is doing (potentially) for reasons that I'm comfortable with I.e an informed opinion using my own eyes.

It's not about the amount of goals Kone has scored though. If for some reason it doesn't work out for him then we never make back the £5m, whereas with a younger player if he fails we do make it back. I don't honestly see how we can afford this transfer. And ive seen Kone's stats 113 in 323 games i believe it is, that equates to roughly 1 goal in every 3 games. I think we need a 1 in 2 man myself.

i didn't random pick that stat...i picked it as the team closest to our level..scoring goals in shit leagues means nothing in my eyes...you are seriously such a child at times...that's the most embarrassing thing about this thread

edit: tell a lie that probably isn't..the fact that if moyes was still here and going for kone you'd be on our side of the argument...absolutely 100%

Believe it or not, he's more a Moyes striker than we've had since Marcus bent, I would favour him. I've always given potential signings a chance. When they prove they are shit or past it I will make it heard.

I'm optimistic about this lad.

and you never cherry pick stats to back up your arguments.....

I believe Romey summed it up perfectly in the shoutbox (at least for me): problem people have with the deal is the fee and not really the player.

It's not about the amount of goals Kone has scored though. If for some reason it doesn't work out for him then we never make back the £5m, whereas with a younger player if he fails we do make it back. I don't honestly see how we can afford this transfer. And ive seen Kone's stats 113 in 323 games i believe it is, that equates to roughly 1 goal in every 3 games. I think we need a 1 in 2 man myself.

If any player fails you wont make your money back regardles of age.

maybe not the full amount, but we have more chance of making money back of a younger player than an older one if it's not working.

If a players you pay £5mil fails it makes no difference how old they are you end up selling for next to nothing. the difference with a young and older player is if they are a success the younger players value goes sky high but the older player wont rise in value much.

If a players you pay £5mil fails it makes no difference how old they are you end up selling for next to nothing. the difference with a young and older player is if they are a success the younger players value goes sky high but the older player wont rise in value much.

Of course it makes a difference, if it's a young player they have more of a chance of turning things around and it may have just been a bad move for them but their career may still be full of potential. Older players are likely to struggle to get chances. In any case like i said in a previous post, i don't see how we can afford this transfer more than anything else it does'nt make sense given our finances.

A 1 in 2 man would be great, but you will not be getting him for £5M, never mind being 29. However, there is another 29 year old on the market, he is nearer 1 in 2, is a proven Premiership goal scorer and available for around £8M, but I think you will get him for £5M - it's .......

.....Darren Bent. I would still prefer Kone as he is a better player in my opinion and gives the team a lot more.

Given the way he players, if Kone turned out as 1 in 3 striker for two or three years at £5M and on failry modest premiership wages - I would definately take that now -

I'm not sure what 5m will get you these days, but if Kone comes here, I'm sure he will do well, so let's see.

My 'only' concern is that our team are getting old, and will need to be revitalised with money we may not have in a few years time, so while we can spend, just try and spend wisely.

Had we bought Kone for 5m the day after he tore Heitinga a new one, most fans would have been very excited, as the guy is clearly a very classy player and 5m is probably a bargain if it works out, Martinez knows better than any of us about the guy, so if he does bring him in, we need to support the decision.

As long as we add younger players I'll be content.

I agree Avin. £5m gets you nothing these days.

In that case, bring in Alcaraz on a free, sell Heitinga for £3m then start looking at £8m strikers instead of £5m ones. Im content to wait and see how we lineup at the start of the season, ive often thought the lack of goals in the team is more a creativity problem than scoring one at times.

I agree Avin. £5m gets you nothing these days.

The problem for me is not that he's a bad player. He's been in a side that made it to the last 16 and to the quarter finals of the Champions League (PSV also beat Arsenal in the last 16 round in his last season for them), he scored 11 league goals for Wigan last year, 15 for Levante the year before when they finished 6th in La Liga, etc.

The problem is that 5m will probably get you even less in 3 years time, when Koné will be 32, Hibbert 35, Heitinga 32, Jagielka 33, Distin 38, Osman 35, Pienaar 34, Howard 37. Heitinga and Distin will probably already need replacing next season when their contracts are up, Howard and Hibbert will need replacing earlier as well imo.

And we can probably add Alcaraz as well, who'll be 33 then.

Edited by Steve_E

In that case, bring in Alcaraz on a free, sell Heitinga for £3m then start looking at £8m strikers instead of £5m ones. Im content to wait and see how we lineup at the start of the season, ive often thought the lack of goals in the team is more a creativity problem than scoring one at times.

We can pay 8m for Kone if you prefer. :dont know:

Which striker do you want? It's great saying get this or that, but offering a solution, as opposed to simply highlighting a problem, is much more productive.

The problem for me is not that he's a bad player. He's been in a side that made it to the last 16 and to the quarter finals of the Champions League (PSV also beat Arsenal in the last 16 round in his last season for them), he scored 11 league goals for Wigan last year, 15 for Levante the year before when they finished 6th in La Liga, etc.

The problem is that 5m will probably get you even less in 3 years time, when Koné will be 32, Hibbert 35, Heitinga 32, Jagielka 33, Distin 38, Osman 35, Pienaar 34, Howard 37. Heitinga and Distin will probably already need replacing next season when their contracts are up, Howard and Hibbert will need replacing earlier as well imo.

That's pretty much the same for me.

As long as we are addressing the age issue, and not just going for short term gain, we will be ok, but ignore it, or add to it, and it could bite us in the arse, especially if we don't maintain a top finishing position, which is by no means guaranteed, regardless of manager.

Which striker do you want? It's great saying get this or that, but offering a solution, as opposed to simply highlighting a problem, is much more productive.

Im not a football scout though, why should i go out looking for players for the club? i just don't see this makes any financial sense that's all.

its acceptable for the BU, ask SteveO

:fishing:

I'm on the fence with this one. I see the problem with age in the squad, but I also see what Kone can bring. Of course I'd prefer a younger striker, but there aren't many(if any) proven-prem strikers of a younger age that could be bought for around the 5mil price range.

I think this is a safe buy for Martinez because he knows what he is getting in Kone. Likewise, Kone understands what Martinez will want from him and can help relay that to other players as well.

It's not a glamorous signing, but I think it's a safe one.

Edited by TonkaRoost

I know what Your saying Steve and fully agree about players ages but the way people are talking is like if we sign Kone on a two or three year deal we won't sign anyone else this season or for the next few and our young up and coming players suddenly vanish into thin air and we have no options but to carry on with an ageing squad!

Some are being so one dimensional in their approach to things so far it's unbelievable at times and we haven't even kicked a ball yet.

I'd much prefer us to be able snap young promising talent up but financially we are poor in comparison to most in the league that people keep banging on about trying to bring players in.

For all we know we might not even sign him and if we did who is to say we are not going to bring in two or more players? it's all unknown as it stands and I'm not going to start worrying until the transfer window shuts and I know where we stand.